Rockmolder
14 years ago
You know? At some times, I'd wish there wasn't a salary cap, the Cowboys would pick up Rodgers, and he'd lead them to the SB. At least that'll make him a great QB. Everyone calls it the ultimate team sport, but if you're a QB, you can only become great by winning games. Tell that to Mr. Marino. I think he did enough to help his team out, alright. Or see how ridiculous that would sound for other position. That'd make James Lofton a very average WR for most of his career.

And why would it be so ridiculous to think that Alex Smith could be better than he is now? And that Rodgers might've been somewhat of a bust had he been picked by the 49ers?

The Manning - Leaf argument makes no sense, as Leaf just never had the physical tools or the mindset to be an NFL player. Alex Smith has. You'd think that he would be a little better, had he been able to sit for 3 years, being groomed by McCarthy and then get into an offense that actually has some receivers.

Just look at Smith playing now. He's showing flashes of what they expected him to do, now he has some kind of offensive weapons. Still, he's not great, but you ought to wonder what could've been.

And then Rodgers, a California QB. I just think that he wasn't ready for the NFL when he came in. If you throw a kid like that in there, you're taking a big gamble. The gamble that the 49ers did take and the Packers didn't.

There are barely any rookie QBs who come into the league and light it up. It takes some mental toughness to bouce back after having a horrible rookie year. Yes, it worked for Peyton Manning and.... Joe Flacco, but doing it the other way around worked just as good Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady etc. etc. I think that there's something to be said about bringing up some patience with your new QB.
Stevetarded
14 years ago
4 years later Alex Smith still has trouble playing football under center. You can blame coaches all you want but at some point the QB is responsible for his own development. Rodgers to me comes off as a guy who has absolutely worked his ass off to get where he is yet the only reason he is good is because of Brett Favre and Mike McCarthy... I doubt it.
blank
Mckennj3
14 years ago
i hate all the comparisons as much as the next guy, but did anyone notice arod is on pace this year to throw for more yards then favre ever has in his entire hall of fame career? He wont hit the td's farve did in that insane year (38) but is on pace to throw only 7ints to favre's 13. just a little food for thought on a "2nd bye weekend".
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
RaiderPride
14 years ago

i hate all the comparisons as much as the next guy, but did anyone notice arod is on pace this year to throw for more yards then favre ever has in his entire hall of fame career? He wont hit the td's farve did in that insane year (38) but is on pace to throw only 7ints to favre's 13. just a little food for thought on a "2nd bye weekend".

"Mckennj3" wrote:

So what... Brett did not have the recievers Aaron has to throw to. His O-line was far worse, and he had never had a a quality RB like Grant to keep the "D" off balance.

Stop with the Favre Bashing..... Please.

Zero... Please Ban This Joker.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Mckennj3
14 years ago
lol didn't mean to hit a nerve there RP. I actually don't see how i bashed Favre in any way, shape, or form. I simply thought it was impressive that our 2nd year QB is putting up extremely close numbers to a hall of fame QB's arguably best stat year. No need to freak.

*And on a side note, I know he didn't have a stellar line either but there's no way you can say his O-line is FAR worse then a line thats averaging 4 sacks a game and getting closer and closer to GB's all time number.
Stevetarded
14 years ago

lol didn't mean to hit a nerve there RP. I actually don't see how i bashed Favre in any way, shape, or form. I simply thought it was impressive that our 2nd year QB is putting up extremely close numbers to a hall of fame QB's arguably best stat year. No need to freak.

*And on a side note, I know he didn't have a stellar line either but there's no way you can say his O-line is FAR worse then a line thats averaging 4 sacks a game and getting closer and closer to GB's all time number.

"Mckennj3" wrote:

RP was just messing with you I think :icon_smile:
blank
RaiderPride
14 years ago
LOL

I loved your post.

Just ask Grave Digger or Hazer.... They know I have a jar of vaseline, two boxes of Kleenex on my night stand, and photo of Aaron taped to the ceiling above my bed,

I was being facetious.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Mckennj3
14 years ago
haha good stuff RP never even crossed my mind. I assume the picture your referring to is when his famous traffic stopping stash was in full bloom.
Mckennj3
14 years ago
Too be honest i'd be scary to see the numbers he'd be capable of behind a top 5 O-line. But then again i put our receiving in the top 5 too so I guess it balances out a bit..
porky88
14 years ago

You know? At some times, I'd wish there wasn't a salary cap, the Cowboys would pick up Rodgers, and he'd lead them to the SB. At least that'll make him a great QB. Everyone calls it the ultimate team sport, but if you're a QB, you can only become great by winning games. Tell that to Mr. Marino. I think he did enough to help his team out, alright. Or see how ridiculous that would sound for other position. That'd make James Lofton a very average WR for most of his career.

And why would it be so ridiculous to think that Alex Smith could be better than he is now? And that Rodgers might've been somewhat of a bust had he been picked by the 49ers?

The Manning - Leaf argument makes no sense, as Leaf just never had the physical tools or the mindset to be an NFL player. Alex Smith has. You'd think that he would be a little better, had he been able to sit for 3 years, being groomed by McCarthy and then get into an offense that actually has some receivers.

Just look at Smith playing now. He's showing flashes of what they expected him to do, now he has some kind of offensive weapons. Still, he's not great, but you ought to wonder what could've been.

And then Rodgers, a California QB. I just think that he wasn't ready for the NFL when he came in. If you throw a kid like that in there, you're taking a big gamble. The gamble that the 49ers did take and the Packers didn't.

There are barely any rookie QBs who come into the league and light it up. It takes some mental toughness to bouce back after having a horrible rookie year. Yes, it worked for Peyton Manning and.... Joe Flacco, but doing it the other way around worked just as good Phillip Rivers, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady etc. etc. I think that there's something to be said about bringing up some patience with your new QB.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

You can't be a great QB until you sustain it or at least win a playoff game. Everyone will have a different opinion of a great QB or what makes one great, but Rodgers is going on an impressive run right now. It'll mean nothing if he regresses. I don't think it'll happen, but I'm also not Miss Cleo, so I don't know what the future could hold for him either. Right now, he is very good and a playoff win makes him great. Playoffs matter and they matter for every player really. It's premature to label him great. Tony Romo had an outstanding 2007 season, but they loss in the playoffs. I wouldn't label him great either. To me, he's good.

Alex Smith just doesn't have it IMO and neither did Ryan Leaf. Leaf, for the record, had the physical tools to play in the NFL. He had a strong arm and was accurate. He lead Washington State to the Rose Bowl and was the No. 1 player in the draft according to some scouts. Not to mention, he had amazing size at 6-5 and 240, and really could make every throw. He was at the time, a special prospect according to many. Now Smith's mental makeup is no where near as bad as Leafs, but Smith's skills were greatly exaggerated (as were Leaf's) due to the lack of competition he played against at Utah and the system he played in. His system pretty much made the player. Chris Leak won a national title playing in that same system afterall.

Smith is definitely having his best season, but his season is by no means good. He's thrown two more TDs than INTs and he's won one game as a starter this year. His two best performances were when his team was trailing and defenses backed off of him or in Houston's case, didn't prepare for him. I think if you're using Smith's play this year as an arguement to justify he'd be a better player than Rodgers had the roles been reversed, then yes that is ridiculous.

If you're saying he'd be a better player than he is right now had he had an easier run, then yes he would, but had Ryan Leaf had great players around him and the necessary veteran leadership on the same side of the ball as him, he may of turned out a tad better too. Doesn't mean he's not a bust though and the same is and should be said about Smith. Leaf, of course is a much bigger bust than Smith, but that's why it's an example as they are different players.

Troy Aikman had a terrible rookie season, but rebounded just fine. He had a nice career. Peyton Manning won three games and threw a ton of picks his rookie year and now he's as hard to pick off as any QB in the league. Drew Brees was awful until the Chargers actually drafted Phillip Rivers. Then, Brees actually exploded making it difficult for San Diego to put Rivers on the field.

QBs have had it as bad or worst than Smith and have turned out just fine. Sometimes you have it and sometimes you don't. Smith doesn't have it and Rodgers does. In the end, that's the difference.
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (23h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (23h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
24m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.