Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Web Page Name 

Charles Woodson doesn't take it personally that opposing quarterbacks keep pointing him out on the field.

On the contrary, he considers it a compliment.

The Green Bay Packers cornerback would like to think he has become his opponents' obsession every time they line up, wondering where he's at, where he's going and what are his plans.

It was especially so in the Packers' victory over Dallas on Sunday when defensive coordinator Dom Capers had him playing four different positions, sometimes blitzing, sometimes covering wide receivers, sometimes covering tight ends and sometimes playing the run.

"As much as Dom has blitzed me, a lot of times they're turning the protection to me," Woodson said. "Me being able to move around, nickel, dime, safety, you don't know where I'm coming from, or if I'm coming, and I think that's a positive.

"I think guys now even more understand the defense, and moving around a little more and showing different looks, it's going to throw some people off."

Woodson was the first player to publicly criticize Capers for not blitzing heavily, expressing frustration after the first Minnesota Vikings loss. Since then, he has patiently waited for Capers to unleash his best pressure packages.

It wasn't until the Cowboys game that Capers really let loose and expanded Woodson's assignments to include all those different positions and a role in pressuring quarterback Tony Romo. Woodson blitzed only four times, but one resulted in a sack and strip of Romo that played a key part in the victory.

And it wasn't just that Woodson blitzed, it was that Capers threatened to blitz him and instead brought a combination of cornerbacks Al Harris, Tramon Williams and Jarrett Bush, and safeties Nick Collins and Atari Bigby. There were 14 plays when at least one member of the secondary blitzed.

"I think guys had fun out there Sunday," Woodson said. "That's the main component of it. If you're out there flying around and having fun you're apt to do it again. And hopefully it does carry over to this week."

Woodson is a proponent of keeping the heat turned up and he said the success the team had last Sunday should provide Capers the confidence to do it again. After forcing two fumbles, getting a sack and intercepting a pass, Woodson finds it hard to believe he will be doing something other than what he did last Sunday.

"To be able to move inside or move back to safety in whatever situation is the best way to use my ability because at that point you cant hide from me. I can mix it up, I can disguise. I think I can be around that ball a lot more."

Line out

Mike McCarthy's desire to keep his offensive line static could be affected by the status of center Scott Wells.

This week, veteran Mark Tauscher has moved back to his starting spot at right tackle and the unit appeared ready to move on with what could be its permanent starting five. But Wells was held out Thursday after he reported symptoms consistent with a concussion.

"The symptoms were reported to the medical staff yesterday, so that's why we're dealing with it today," McCarthy said. "He missed practice yesterday, so we held him again today."

Wells was not on the injury report Wednesday and McCarthy did not say when the injury occurred. Given the caution the medical staff has taken with concussions, it's not a given Wells will play this week.

He was replaced in the lineup by rookie Evan Dietrich-Smith.

Injury report

Defensive end Johnny Jolly had his back lock up on him Wednesday and was limited in practice. Jolly said he got hit in the back Sunday, but he didn't think the injury was serious.

Offensive tackle Allen Barbre suffered an ankle injury in practice and was added to the injury report. Linebacker Brady Poppinga (thigh), linebacker Brad Jones (concussion) and Woodson (hip) were all upgraded to full participation.

Job filled

It didn't take long for the Packers to fill their third quarterback position after Brian Brohm elected to sign with the Buffalo Bills.

The Packers signed former Central Washington quarterback Mike Reilly to their practice squad.

Reilly agreed to terms at 5 p.m. central time Wednesday. He then flew on the red eye with stops in Seattle and Minneapolis before landing in Appleton at 8 a.m. Reilly didn't even glance at a playbook before suiting up for practice.

"Not being able to have the opportunity to play football for the past couple of months, I'm hungry," said the 6-foot-3, 213-pound Reilly. "Practice feels like a blessing, really, rather than a burden, so I'm excited to get out and just kind of work hard and show what I can do."

Reilly eclipsed all the school records at Division II Central Washington set by alumnus and current Dallas Cowboys backup Jon Kitna. He was considered a solid prospect before the draft but went undrafted and signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Reilly completed 10 of 15 passes (66.7%) for 117 yards in exhibition games and then failed to make the final cut.

"Very athletic quarterback and did some good things in Pittsburgh during the preseason," McCarthy said. "So we'll have an opportunity to try to get him acclimated to the way we do things here. I'm glad he's here."

Brohm, a second-round pick in 2008, signed a two-year contract with the Bills after the Packers made the same offer, a source said.

"I had a chance to talk to Brian about it," McCarthy said. "He had an opportunity to stay here. I respect Brian. I thought Brian was improving. I just want to wish him the best."

UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago
Wells isnt this his 2nd concussion?
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Kudos to Capers for switching Woody around.

I don't want to see opposing QBs know where he is or else they'll avoid him. Woody is a playmaker. Put the ball in his hands and things happen. Love seeing him (and Collins and Harris) returning INTs.

I also like seeing DB blitzes. The O should never know where the blitz is coming from. Now I'm wondering if Capers had this planned all along - the first half of the season, just get comfortable with the 3-4. The 2nd half, start using it as it should be used.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Felipe7777777
14 years ago

Kudos to Capers for switching Woody around.

I don't want to see opposing QBs know where he is or else they'll avoid him. Woody is a playmaker. Put the ball in his hands and things happen. Love seeing him (and Collins and Harris) returning INTs.

I also like seeing DB blitzes. The O should never know where the blitz is coming from. Now I'm wondering if Capers had this planned all along - the first half of the season, just get comfortable with the 3-4. The 2nd half, start using it as it should be used.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Do you know what i like about this defense though?

That this is the FIRST year in the 3-4 and they're not playing too bad when Capers lets them loose!!!!! Supposedly it takes a 2 or 3 years for the defense to prosper in the 3-4 and when its opened up they've played extremely well, for a first year 3-4 unit im impressed....
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Felipe - Just wait until we get our 2nd shutout of the season. Then be impressed.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Felipe7777777
14 years ago
im impressed on how well the defense plays when loose, given its the first year, a shutout is great but under a 10 points is good to me too
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago

im impressed on how well the defense plays when loose, given its the first year, a shutout is great but under a 10 points is good to me too

"Felipe7777777" wrote:

Yeah but look at my sig file. We NEED to shut out one more team.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Felipe7777777
14 years ago
LOL more than one would be great but u never know they play the lions again so we'll see lol
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (17h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (19h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (22h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (23h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
42m / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.