RainX
14 years ago
Well, it's to bad we basically wasted a second round pick on him, but at least to this point in his career, he was not worth a spot on the 53-man roster.

The Bills franchise is pretty much going to be cleaning house after the season anyways. They lost to the freakin' Browns for crying out loud! Brohm was nice insurance on the practice squad, but it was pretty evident with Rodgers emergence he wasn't going to be the team's long-term answer at QB. He'll get a better chance to play in Buffalo, although Craig Nall went over there too and never really made much of his chance either.

Good luck to Brian! Hopefully he'll have better luck over there then he did in Green Bay. Fortunately Matt Flynn has progressed decently so far, but it'll be tough if Rodgers goes down now and they'll have to bring a street free agent in for backup duties instead of promoting Brohm from the practice squad now.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Any credit I give Ted for wisely tagging Corey Williams (who wanted out of Green Bay) and then trading him, kind of went out of the window with the loss of Brohm.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Do The Packers have any other qb on the p.s? I don't know but don't think so.

Big risk not having anybody past Flynn.

Something happens to both qb's, I guess we would see a huge dose of some sort of wildcat with i'm just guessing, DD or Woodson, or maybe even Jordy Nelson.

Not saying I would ever want it to happen, but it might be fun to watch, Aaron Rodgers and Flynn go down Packers are screwed anyway, migth as well enjoy what you can at that point.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
This is purely hindsight talking, I don't know much about drafts. I'd rather us have picked up Jamaal Charles with that pick. 🙂
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
I remember reading an article last off-season discussing the drafting of each team in the NFC North. I don't recall if the article addressed the entire league. The criteria for judging each team's draft was not limited to determining if "x" player was contributing on that team. It looked at if the player was contributing on any NFL team. I think that is a reasonable way to at least judge if your FO is good at evaluating talent.

The Packers were way ahead of the other teams in our division by that criteria.

This is a good example, too. Brohm is about as bad as it gets in the didn't pan out department, for us, at this point in time.

I wish him success. I'm not breathing hard about it, though.
El3ment12
14 years ago
Meh, I think he was better than flynn, but I didn't watch the practices.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Meh, I think he was better than flynn, but I didn't watch the practices.

"El3ment12" wrote:

With the first part of this, you didn't need to say you didn't watch the practices. 🙂 (just like we know you didn't watch the pre-season either, lol)

Brohm has happy feet and until that gets under control, I don't think he'll be successful in the NFL.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
These QB's are SUCH a big crapshoot.

That selection made perfect sense to me at the time.

Here was a guy that most scouting reports (under the proviso that we NEVER know the whole tale as fans) projected as "probably the most NFL ready".

In our scenario that acquisition was supremely logical.

Instead we got a deer in the headlights guy. He might overcome that, who knows?

Then we get this flyer in the 7th round (skipping over Colt Brennan in the 6th, damnit) and he turns out to be (imo) GANGBUSTERS.

I think Flynn could move this team. (Maybe not with THIS line, but a reasonably functioning one.)

I call it a wash. That is is still WAY better than most ever do in the arena, at that position.

I have always said that we have good QB karma in Green Bay, to an awesome degree.

I think karma is really the only good way to explain it.

Da Bares have bad QB karma. Does that explain it better?
Pack93z
14 years ago
Let him roll to Buffalo.. behind that line he will become shell shocked if he gets some playing time. About the only NFL line that resembles ours.. that speaks volumes.

I personally hope Clausen comes out this year and slides a little in the draft.. use a 2nd or 3rd on him and mentor him behind Rodgers.. might not be the most talented QB coming out.. but the kid is a winner and handles pressure well. If he stays in school another year.. I don't think there is anyway he gets out of the first round.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Do The Packers have any other qb on the p.s? I don't know but don't think so.

Big risk not having anybody past Flynn.

Something happens to both qb's, I guess we would see a huge dose of some sort of wildcat with i'm just guessing, Donald Driver or Woodson, or maybe even Jordy Nelson.

Not saying I would ever want it to happen, but it might be fun to watch, Aaron Rodgers and Flynn go down Packers are screwed anyway, migth as well enjoy what you can at that point.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Not a big problem there. Just sign Alex Brink, or some other (nearly) undrafted first/second year player.

And that wildcat with Driver would be pretty fun to see. Don't think that McCarthy is the guy for it, but I think we have the personel to execute it.

UserPostedImage

Old image I made. Not totally worked out, but you get my point. If Aaron is out, you could just put Jory Nelson in at that spot.

And put Driver under center instead of right guard.

Anyway, as for Brohm... He can progress into something. The only thing I will regret is not getting something in return. He was bound to leave at some point, if he got good. And not for a whole lot more than a 3rd, I think.

I like the Flynn pick more and more in hindsight. I wonder what'll happen when/if McCarthy gets fired. If we'll trade Flynn to that team. Like with Hasselbeck.