PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Historically, our deep passes have been created because of our slants and screens. We threw slants so much we would get defenses to cheat for the screen opening up the go and slant and go's.

This year we have been throwing long so much that the defenses have been playing deeper in their zones making the longer balls harder to complete. We haven't been balanced in our short/long routes. There should be a short route on every passing play.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Stevetarded
14 years ago

My point is that a short passing game "adjustment" is not an adjustment but a compensation and that compensation takes away a very potent dynamic to the offense.

I believe we have to go with the offense that gives a full array of problems for the defense and hope we get at least adequate blocking to run it. I think pulling away from that will be a BIGGER mistake.

I don't think we can forget that as bad as the line has been we have scored a lot of points. I do feel we need to be smarter by looking at the numbers and doing things to improve in certain situations. Rodgers has an unusually high number of sacks on first down. Maybe bring Green in on first down and shuffle Finley around in the backfield would cause concerns where we could get better results. That's two more targets to contend with or we run the ball.

"warhawk" wrote:

The thing is we don't get adequate blocking to run it. Yeah we can continue to run the explosive downfield offense and put up some points for a while but it won't last, Rodgers won't make it. We are damn lucky that we still have him relatively healthy at this point in the season.
blank
warhawk
  • warhawk
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

Historically, our deep passes have been created because of our slants and screens. We threw slants so much we would get defenses to cheat for the screen opening up the go and slant and go's.

This year we have been throwing long so much that the defenses have been playing deeper in their zones making the longer balls harder to complete. We haven't been balanced in our short/long routes. There should be a short route on every passing play.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

I disagree. Sorry. Why is it that EVERY great passing team like the Colts, NE, Cards, and Saints, now the Vikes, and teams in past years have ALL had the middle and deep route threat? These are NOT teams that all throw it short most often and then catch defenses cheating. They all CAN throw it short because they have to worry about letting guys get behind them.

I wrote this thread based on what is left on our plate. Who we face and what we have to do. I can say we can probably play it safer in some of these games. This week against the 49'rs we can be a little safer. Detroit, Chicago, Seattle, probably so. I think we can put up enough points and keep them from scoring much.

BUT, when we play Pittsburgh and Baltimore we have to go over the top and make big plays. That's what got them beat so far. Both those teams would LOVE for us to come out throwing a bunch of short passes. When we go to Arizona we have to score points. Going four and three aint going to cut it and if we don't have the full playbook out for some of these teams we will lose.
"The train is leaving the station."
porky88
14 years ago
Minnesota is still pretty much a short passing team. I think that's fair to point out, since the Vikings are now an example of a great down the field passing team, but they got there using the short passing game. Now that defenses have adjusted, Favre can hit players like Rice and Harvin down the field. The Vikings' offense is where it is today because of the short passing game they used early in the season and of course Adrian Peterson.

It's apples and oranges though. You can't compare GB to the teams mentioned. The Packers have by far the worse offensive line of those teams. They just can't go down the field all game long. The Packers need to play the field position as well and keep the ball too. The defense is at it's best when the field they have to work with is shorter and they're well rested.

The drive against Dallas which was the best drive of the Rodgers' era had a little bit of everything. That's what the Packers need to do against a Baltimore and Pittsburgh. If GB tries to go down the field all game long, Rodgers will be hammered as much as he was against Minnesota. To be fair, I think the Packers are over-matched against Pittsburgh, but the Ravens' defense isn't near as good as it was a year ago. They've taken a slight step back which I think plays into the Packers' favor. Considering the weather for that game, and it will be cold, GB will definitely have to play at a high level on the defensive side of the ball too win that game. So will Baltimore of course. The identity of this team should and will be defense if they make the playoffs IMO.

Nothing wrong with that.

The Packers have to worry about winning one game at a time. The best approach for the next two weeks remains the short pass and run to setup everything else. As you said, it'll probably work against Seattle, Chicago, and possibly Arizona as well, and that's why you do it. It just so happens that it makes things much easier up front.

IF the line proves it can block one on one, then maybe you go back to the down the field passing attack. That hasn't worked yet though and it's time to accept that in my view.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

"warhawk" wrote:

I disagree. Sorry. Why is it that EVERY great passing team like the Colts, NE, Cards, and Saints, now the Vikes, and teams in past years have ALL had the middle and deep route threat? These are NOT teams that all throw it short most often and then catch defenses cheating. They all CAN throw it short because they have to worry about letting guys get behind them.

I wrote this thread based on what is left on our plate. Who we face and what we have to do. I can say we can probably play it safer in some of these games. This week against the 49'rs we can be a little safer. Detroit, Chicago, Seattle, probably so. I think we can put up enough points and keep them from scoring much.

BUT, when we play Pittsburgh and Baltimore we have to go over the top and make big plays. That's what got them beat so far. Both those teams would LOVE for us to come out throwing a bunch of short passes. When we go to Arizona we have to score points. Going four and three aint going to cut it and if we don't have the full playbook out for some of these teams we will lose.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Brett made his career on the slant and screen and is doing the same thing this year. Brady lives off Welker on the under neith pass.

Just like teams run to set up the pass. The short game is used to setup the big ones. Sure we need to have the deep threat, that doesn't mean we have to throw it every play. And we shouldn't.

The WCO has been built on short passes setting up the big hitters. It has been built on high percentage, and YAC. Why did our WR lead the league in YAC in the past. Because we threw short and let them make the plays. Nobody is calling for us folding the long ball. Only that we run the WCO the way it is suppose to be. Short passes, to work as a running game, setting up for later.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Greg C.
14 years ago
I just wanted to say that this has been a really great thread, thanks to warhawk, porky, and everybody else.
blank
Greg C.
14 years ago
Now I know how to kill a thread: Just say something nice.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (5h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (5h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (5h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (6h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (7h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (22h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (22h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (22h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.