longtimefan
14 years ago

There definitely is a penalty for stopping a game when you have nothing to use. I recall it happening to Jon Gruden when used a "fourth" timeout. Unlike today though, Gruden was penalized immediately.

"blueleopard" wrote:

Yes I agree....They menttioned it on the nfl netowrk as well

That is why I brought up the fact that maybe the refs never informed Mike McCarthy he was out of challenges..that would be one reason why they didnt give a penalty to the Packers
jbshell04
14 years ago
See I always thought when u were outta challenges u were supposed to ha ve the red hanky taken away. Would sure eliminate the possibilty of bone head errors from officiating and Coachin.
As far as the fumble goes I really don't think. The Dallas player had true possesion we have all seen WR catch start to turn get popped and lose the ball only to lose the ball and its ruled incomplete.
I am therefor I think.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

i gotta agree with packer98 as well - it's easy now to say there were no consequences & we won.

had we lost, trust me, this would have been an issue.

even if it hadn't truly affected the outcome, it STILL would have been an issue.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

We sure love to complain huh?

I mean, well if this wouldn't have happened and this did happen, my gosh, it would be BAD!

Here's the thing. It didn't happen, we won. Enjoy it. Does it mean we're Super Bowl contenders? No, it means we scored more points than the Cowboys. So Mike McCarthy isn't the brightest bulb on the tree, who thought differently anyhow?

I just don't see the point in crying over spilled milk here, especially when its ALMOST spilled milk.
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago

i gotta agree with packer98 as well - it's easy now to say there were no consequences & we won.

had we lost, trust me, this would have been an issue.

even if it hadn't truly affected the outcome, it STILL would have been an issue.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

We sure love to complain huh?

I mean, well if this wouldn't have happened and this did happen, my gosh, it would be BAD!

Here's the thing. It didn't happen, we won. Enjoy it. Does it mean we're Super Bowl contenders? No, it means we scored more points than the Cowboys. So Mike McCarthy isn't the brightest bulb on the tree, who thought differently anyhow?

I just don't see the point in crying over spilled milk here, especially when its ALMOST spilled milk.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

For real, I don't see anybody saying McCarthy is some awesome coach now. It seems like so many people are butthurt that McCarthy "isn't being hated enough after the win". It wasn't a perfect game and he is a below average coach this year but give the guy some props his team just dominated a 6-2 team.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

They can complain about there not being a penalty on the bogus challenge all they want. They were given a break when the refs even called that play a catch.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Without a doubt. The replay clearly showed him lose complete contact with the ball momentarily just before he was touched by the defender. No way that's a completion under NFL rules. So there were two bad calls on the same play.

What shocked me is that no penalty was called on the Cowboys' "arrowhead formation" or whatever the announcers called it. Maybe my perspective was skewed by the distant overhead angle of the camera just prior to the snap and the fact that the 'Boys had so many players in tight, but it sure seemed to me as though they had too many men lined up behind the line of scrimmage. They never showed another angle for me to count, though.

I was raised to respect officials and give them the benefit of the doubt, but these past two seasons there have been a shocking number of -- sometimes egregiously -- bad calls, so I struggle nowadays to do so. Now I freely admit I am impressed with the number of infractions they do spot -- most of them I never actually see myself on the TV screen, the action moves so fast -- but there are just so many errors that become apparent, particularly on replay. Yesterday, for example, I saw at least one hands to the face and another hands to the head on Rodgers that was never called, and I also saw blatant hands to the face on one of our defensive linemen that completely changed his momentum that the officials failed to call. Last night during the Colts-Patriots game, there was one play in which the WR shamelessly held the DB for almost 10 or 15 yards that none of the officials spotted.

But again, I don't think I could do any better, so I'm not sure what could be done to improve the situation. Actually, I do have one idea: I think officials should be able to call certain egregious infractions that they spot in instant replay, even after the play has been called dead. So often we see players and coaches pointing out infractions to officials that everyone in the stadium can see, but the officials just shake their heads. I suppose it's like the situation with baseball umps: "If I didn't see it live, I can't call it, sorry." Would allowing these kinds of discretionary retakes slow down the game? Sure, which is why the should probably be limited to certain of the more serious offenses.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago

Dude, seriously, does this need its own thread?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

actually, yes. it is a pretty relevant discussion. those challenges by somebody who used to be known for having a ridiculously high percentage of "challenges won" were god-awful. none of them were even close, including the one he used which HE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE. wtf? is McCarthy a fish? how short is your damn memory, fatty?

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

rabidgopher04
14 years ago

Some of you do not get it. You cheer today because it did not affect the win, you will bitch and complain when he throws the flag and it hurts us in a game for stupidity (ie Nelson's TD). Wasted timeout for no reason.

"packer98" wrote:

It's one thing to be at home and watch the replays over and over again, but it's another to be at the game. When they showed the replay of Nelson's almost TD on the scoreboard, it most certainly looked like a TD in the stadium.

Fact is, everyone has a different perspective - viewing it on tv is totally different from being there. I disagree that the Nelson challenge was stupid. During the game, at the stadium, it looked like a TD.
Amazing Bacon Delivery  Service! Never be without good bacon again.
14 years ago

Dude, seriously, does this need its own thread?

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

actually, yes. it is a pretty relevant discussion. those challenges by somebody who used to be known for having a ridiculously high percentage of "challenges won" were god-awful. none of them were even close, including the one he used which HE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE. wtf? is McCarthy a fish? how short is your damn memory, fatty?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

The Tramon Williams fumble was a good challenge, and a key challenge at that point in the game.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
i disagree. the only one which looked close was the iffy catch/possession at the end when we didn't really have a challenge.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
I said this earlier in the year. Until the NFL makes the referees FULL TIME EMPLOYEES, there are going to be mistakes made.

With all the money invloved in what is The NFL, a person would think that the referees, which are a huge part of the game, would be treated that way.

That is why I, myself, do not complain one way or the other about questionable calls, these guys are judging plays at real time, IMHO they do a fine job.

Right now it is part of the game, until rules are changed I just live with what happens.

Bottom line, IMHO the outcome would have been the same, no matter what calls were made.

Packers showed up yesterday and kicked The Boys in the mouth all day long, good to see a little emotion out there.

3 games in twelve days, things could be looking much better after Thanksgiving!!!

Let's hope The Packers can build on yesterdays big, MUST, win!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.