Zero2Cool
14 years ago
What did the mistake cost us? Nothing.
What did the mistake cost the Cowboys? Momentum on a strong drive.

I can deal those kind of mistakes. And I think I've been one of the most critical people on Mike McCarthy the last few weeks.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
Red flag comment, but not Mike's. I have a prediction. That play that was ruled "not reviewable" (Our non-fumble recovery fumble recovery) play.

Rule change coming.

Why?

It hosed Jerry Jones' team, that's why.
Pack93z
14 years ago

It hosed Jerry Jones' team, that's why.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Piss on Jerry Jones.. that was the only thing that would have made today even sweeter... seeing the growl upon his drawn out horse face.. jackass he is anyway..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Tezzy
14 years ago
That rule does need to change. It isn't the first time I've seen a questionable fumble after recovering a fumble. I was shocked that it wasn't reviewable. I wonder what the rule is then that clarifies that a team actually recovers the fumble if the recovery isn't reviewable. I'm still confused.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
dfosterf
14 years ago

That rule does need to change. It isn't the first time I've seen a questionable fumble after recovering a fumble. I was shocked that it wasn't reviewable. I wonder what the rule is then that clarifies that a team actually recovers the fumble if the recovery isn't reviewable. I'm still confused.

"Tezzy" wrote:

Link to quote and other stuff 

referee Jeff Triplette was asked to explain the crucial ruling that didn't allow Dallas to challenge an apparent fumble recover by RB Felix Jones: "Dallas was challenging that their player had recovered the football loose in the field of play and was down by contact. My mistake, thats not a reviewable aspect of a play. A recovery of a loose ball in the field of play is not reviewable by rule. So we just couldnt review it."
Rule 15, Section 9 lays out non-reviewable plays: "6. Recovery of loose ball in the field of play."

Brandon494
14 years ago
I agree, the Nelson TD play should have never been thrown.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
Mike's challenge on the possible TD was dumb. Take the ball 1st and goal at the 1.
I was stunned that there was no penalty or a TO charged when he threw the flag for a 3rd down.
I do not know if he did so intentionally or not. If he did it gave the Defense a chance to rest and regroup.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Two challenges at center of miscues 

By Calvin Watkins

ESPNDallas.com

GREEN BAY, Wisc. -- NFL officials admitted to one officiating mistake and appeared to commit another in Sunday's Dallas Cowboys-Green Bay Packers game.

The first occurred with the Cowboys trailing 10-0 in the fourth quarter. Packers cornerback Charles Woodson forced a fumble on a corner blitz when he sacked Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo. When the ball popped loose, running back Felix Jones appeared to recover near the Cowboys' 20, but Packers defensive end Johnny Jolly dove on top of Jones, forcing the ball to come loose again. Linebacker Clay Matthews scooped the ball and was pushed out of bounds by tight end Jason Witten at the Cowboys' 3 with 11:41 to play.

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips challenged, saying Jones recovered and didn't lose the ball. After about a two-minute pause in play, referee Jeff Triplette said the fumble couldn't be challenged. He admitted that the crew wasted time starting the review process when they shouldn't have.

"They said because they ruled it a fumble all the way through, that I couldn't challenge it even though we recovered the ball and our guy was touched and he knew the guy was down," Phillips said.

Triplette said to a pool reporter after the game. "My mistake, that's not a reviewable aspect of a play. A recovery of a loose ball in the field of play is not reviewable by rule. So we just couldn't review it."

Triplette said he never actually got a chance to review the play because he and other officials began talking about whether the play was reviewable.

"We never got in the booth to review," he said. "Just put the headphones on and starting talking through what we had."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says he understands why the rule doesn't allow for review of possession of fumbles, but that there should be room for exceptions.

"I know why they have it because so many times there are piles and scrums so it gets really hard to see," Jones said. "But that wasn't a play out in the middle of the field where you'd have a scrum."

The other apparent mistake by the crew occurred with 6:29 to play in the fourth quarter. Cowboys wide receiver Patrick Crayton made a diving catch for 14 yards. The Packers challenged the catch, but after another delay in play, Triplette said Green Bay didn't have any more challenges left.

According to the NFL rule book, Rule 15, Section 9, "For initiating a challenge when all of a team's timeouts have been exhausted or when all of its available challenges have been used: Loss of 15 yards."

But the referees allowed play to continue without penalizing the Packers, who had used up all their challenges.

"I have to ask the league," about the call, Phillips said. "We don't have any challenges left and you challenge and stop the game. It kind of helps you regroup. I thought it was at least a delay of the game, but it wasn't."

If the penalty is called, it would have moved the Cowboys from the Packers' 29 to the 14. The Cowboys were turned away on that drive when Romo threw an interception at the goal line with 5:53 remaining and Dallas trailing, 17-0.

The Cowboys would go on to lose 17-7.

So there IS supposed to be a penalty for calling a challenge when all of your challenges are exhausted. I was surprised that no penalty was assessed.

I wonder how often officials forget that penalties exist for certain infractions they call?
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago
What if the refs never informed Mike McCarthy that he was out of challenges? That might be an explanation as to why no penlaty was assessed on the Packers...

Granted Mike McCarthy is suppose to be aware of that sort of stuff, but I think refs are suppose to give coaches heads up on things of that nature.
Formo
14 years ago
I think so too, LTF.

These miscues are proof positive that the NFL needs to either abolish ALL booth reviews or fix the current rules on them.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (7h) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (28-Mar) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

10-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

4-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.