PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

I watched the first half of the Tampa game pretty darn close and have gone back over. When the camera is wide at the snap, and all WR are running past 5, 10 yards without making a cut we are not concentrating on the short game.

"all_about_da_packers" wrote:

Mike McCarthy's system is such that the QB often has a pass/run option. Check out the routes the WRs are running on said options, I'd be real interested to see the result. I'd think the patterns are mostly short slants.

I can understand calling for shorter patterns against zone, but against press-man? I think it's a bit harder to have that be effective. Against zone I think your argument is valid...

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

You have to run the short passes and attack press coverage, just like you do against Zone. It has the same effect as running the ball against a great run defense. It keeps them honest. Long passes work best when defenders are worried about short passes. Passing works better when defenses worry about the run. Same strategy.

The only things short are safety valves, which should not be needed in 3 seconds. An most of the time those are covered as well.

As you said just about all plays have a run/pass option. That is by design. They have the ability to run or pass dependent on the coverage. There should also be long and short routes, by the WR/TE not RB/FB. When I constantly see Jennings,Driver,Jones streaking down the field, the plays are not being called right.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

The thing is though with our offensive line we need to be using a much higher % of quick short passes. It doesn't matter where we compare to other teams because we have a different set of issues. Our QB has been sacked more this year so far than all of last year. It doesn't matter what McCarthy wants the offense to do because it obviously cannot be run the way he wants.

Our gameplan hasn't changed 1 bit all year and guess what, if it doesn't change going forward Rodgers is going to keep getting sacked. It's time to stop being stubborn and react to the situation instead of ignore it.

Earlier this year I am sure that many of us were wondering what the effect of all the damage Rodgers has been taking was going to have on him.... well we saw it last week and it wasn't good.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Rodgers has been acting very strange.
Mike McCarthy came out this week and indicated that Rodgers wasn't getting down with the program. What's up with that? He definitely seems to be looking downfield more.
Even this past week he was throwing "late down the middle," which is the ultimate no-no in Mike McCarthy's quarterback school.
And you're right. Nothing has changed, all year. Even though he keeps getting sacked, they still drop way back and try to chuck it deep.
Although this week, we might be able to say that fatigue was a factor in the 86 degree humidity, since the sacks all came late.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

He's tired of getting his ass kicked every snap. I would be, too. It might be that after 7 games of that, he's not thinking right - I don't know. I do, however, think MmC throwing him under the bus is bush-league shit, and am concerned that some are starting to jump on the kid (not finger-pointing anyone here - it's an overall impression).

He could do better - he could probably get the ball out more quickly in some instances, get through his reads on rhythm and not rush them. That's all true. But we fans seems to be asking the few functioning areas of the team to become almost super-human to cover up the non-functioning areas. I get that it's how this discussion thing works, but I don't know that it's fair.
blank
Stevetarded
14 years ago
I think it is probably hard to Rodgers to remain consistent with his progressions and timing and such when the line is so inconsistent. He also can't just compensate for a single area of the line letting guys through either because one play Barbre lets his guy through then the next play the middle is getting blown up.

Almost every time where it seems like he has enough time to get the ball away is because he extended it himself. It seems unacceptable to me that a 5 man line that usually has an extra TE or RB blocking cannot hold off 4 rushers any longer than 3 or so seconds.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
MmC? Seriously? Just type M and M and it'll show Mike McCarthy. Or you can continue using the lame ass MmC.

M m C yay look at me!!!

Don't worry, no one is going to confuse your intentioned person as Mark Murphy.

Poop!
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
14 years ago
Not sure if it's MM's playcalling or Rodgers or some combination of the two. But it's disgusting me.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

MmC? Seriously? Just type M and M and it'll show Mike McCarthy. Or you can continue using the lame ass MmC.

M m C yay look at me!!!

Don't worry, no one is going to confuse your intentioned person as Mark Murphy.

Poop!

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Okee doke, boss - I'm typing with one hand and didn't know about the shortcuts. My bad.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Okee doke, boss - I'm typing with one hand and didn't know about the shortcuts. My bad.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

:facepalm:

More than we needed to know my friend!! 🙂
UserPostedImage
macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

I guess I consider short different from ESPN. Short to me is 5 yards or less. Medium is 6-15, Long <15

I watched the first half of the Tampa game pretty darn close and have gone back over. When the camera is wide at the snap, and all WR are running past 5, 10 yards without making a cut we are not concentrating on the short game.

There should be a slant, dig, or 5 yards out, square in or curl on every single pass play by WR. Not a RB in the flat as an emergency dump off.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

ESPN didnt break it out short/med/long. That was my breakout. They broke it out behind los, 1-10, 11-20, etc. The s/m/l were my combining two of their splits (blos & 1-10, 11-20 & 21-30, 31-40 & 41+).
UserPostedImage
macbob
  • macbob
14 years ago

Whoa. Before you say the short passing game is a myth, there's a HUGE difference between a 10 yard pass and one at or behind the line of scrimmage. You can't combine those.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Yeah, there's also a difference between hitting Donald Driver on an 8 yard slant and watching him take it to the house and throwing 60 yards downfield to Jennings in quadruple coverage. Do these stats differentiate between the two?

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Yes. They were distance the ball was thrown, not distance of the play. The splits read "Pass Thrown 1-10", etc. I just used the attempts stats, but they had completion stats at each of the distances, along with Int, TDs, etc.
UserPostedImage
macbob
  • macbob
14 years ago

Not sure if it's Mike McCarthy's playcalling or Rodgers or some combination of the two. But it's disgusting me.

"nerdmann" wrote:

Hopefully, the problem will go away this week since Mike McCarthy says it's correctable.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (11h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (11h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (12h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (13h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.