zombieslayer
14 years ago
One aspect of Aaron's game that gets overlooked is that he can move. He's an athlete. Aaron right now is leading the NFL in run yardage for QBs. Actually, it's low as I think there were more than a few cases even in the Vikings game alone where he really should have just taken off and run. He has the athletic ability to do that, and scrambling for first downs seriously drives opposing Defensive Coordinators up the wall.

Neither Ryan nor Flacco are half as mobile as Rodgers.

This is actually one of my prejudices, but I'll say it anyways. I hate pocket passers. I like to see a QB if nothing is there to make something happen. Favre does it by going to either his left or his right, buying time, then squeezing the ball between defenders. Aaron can keep drives alive by scrambling for the first down. Ryan and Flacco can't do either.

We've already discussed statistics to death in this thread and Rodgers clearly leads in stats. Add mobility and I don't see how we could put either above Rodgers.

I think the only valid criticism of Rodgers is his release, which will come. However, I do think part of that problem is MM's playcalling. If I were calling the plays, we'd see a lot more screens and I'd also have Rodgers dumping off more.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
WhiskeySam
14 years ago

One aspect of Aaron's game that gets overlooked is that he can move. He's an athlete. Aaron right now is leading the NFL in run yardage for QBs. Actually, it's low as I think there were more than a few cases even in the Vikings game alone where he really should have just taken off and run. He has the athletic ability to do that, and scrambling for first downs seriously drives opposing Defensive Coordinators up the wall.

Neither Ryan nor Flacco are half as mobile as Rodgers.

This is actually one of my prejudices, but I'll say it anyways. I hate pocket passers. I like to see a QB if nothing is there to make something happen. Favre does it by going to either his left or his right, buying time, then squeezing the ball between defenders. Aaron can keep drives alive by scrambling for the first down. Ryan and Flacco can't do either.

We've already discussed statistics to death in this thread and Rodgers clearly leads in stats. Add mobility and I don't see how we could put either above Rodgers.

I think the only valid criticism of Rodgers is his release, which will come. However, I do think part of that problem is Mike McCarthy's playcalling. If I were calling the plays, we'd see a lot more screens and I'd also have Rodgers dumping off more.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

A QB can get away with being less mobile if they have a good line. Even then, they can get by if they are willing to throw the ball away or check down. That's something Aaron needs to improve on. I get very frustrated watching him have open field to run or have open receivers in the short zones in front of him, but he stands there staring downfield waiting for deep routes to open up. That's leading to some of his sacks. When it's 3rd and 17, it's okay to throw the 5-10 yard pass when the pocket is collapsing. That's one aspect he's actually behind Flacco and Ryan right now.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Grabacr
14 years ago
its that same thing of if rodgers was with the vikings...or had the vikings o-line...welcome home superbowl trophy.

come on TT. give us an O-Line and win some championships
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago
how can you compare these 3?

Rodgers 5th year
Ryan & Flacco 2nd year.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

how can you compare these 3?

Rodgers 5th year
Ryan & Flacco 2nd year.

"dhazer" wrote:

You're incredible.

The guy could throw 50 TD's and you'd still discredit him some how some way.

Although, at least you're not going out of your way to do that with this post. I can only assume someone made a point that Rodgers is as good or better than Ryan/Flaaco and that's your way of trying to stop anything of that nature being said. Because, god for bid, someone think Rodgers is better than anyone else.
UserPostedImage
DGB454
14 years ago
Rodgers is better than anyone else.
longtimefan
14 years ago

Rodgers is better than anyone else.

"DGB454" wrote:

Greg Jennings will strike you in your sleep
nerdmann
14 years ago

I can easily tell this is slanted to make Aaron look not so good. I like how it conveniently says he has won 2 games against teams with winning records. That automatically throws out two of Rodgers biggest wins. Opening season last and this year. Those teams were 0-0 so they had no record and were not counted.

The W-L thing is a joke. Flacco had more wins last year, while winning with <150 yards and 0 TD. Rodgers loses with 300 and 2 TD. Rodgers is a great QB, and will be for a long time, as long as we don't kill him.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

Me anyway is not saying he's a bad QB or something. Its not an all or nothing thing. I just feel that he's not quite "there" yet like a Matt Ryan or even a Joe Flacco. He hasn't been able to have a lot of those signature wins. Last year, 8 times with ball to take lead or win and failing each time is pretty bad and that 31-26 drive/the first half in big Vikings games are not so good. He's still a great QB but all I am saying is that he hasn't turned the corner into turning the corner yet in winning games for his team.

He's young and the sample size is small, so it will come with time I assume. But just like any other QB in the league, there are areas for improvement and one of them is winning games for his team. I think its hard to argue against that.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

He's way ahead of where Brent was in his 23rd start.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

We've debated that eight games thing and proved it was not accurate.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

Ok, I just took it from the article. But I don't get why its impossible that he has some flaws:

Good:

Strong character (took over for a HOF QB and survived AND with class)

Tough as nails (gets up after every hit and has played injured)

Great teammate (doesn't throw the OL under the bus in the media)

Strong arm (can sling it anywhere)

Decent speed and not afraid to run it (great for us considering our OL)

Great statistics (last year and this year)

Starting to use all wide receivers, TEs, FBs, RBs, etc.

Etc.

Not So Good:

Holds on to the ball too long/Game Management (I don't know how this can be denied, i.e. Vikings safety, you have ot know your in the end zone)

"Clutch" (he has failed a bunch of times, maybe not 8 or whatever but Falcons game, bad, Matt Ryan good. Tampa Bay late game INT, not good. Vikings game, 31-26 drive bad, Favre 31-26 drive good. Can you honestly say you would choose him if you were down by 4 in the 4th quarter, one drive over "the" guys like Favre, Brady and Manning? No of course not but he's young, it will come)

Win-Loss record (has not had a lot of signature wins and has already had as many losing seasons as Favre)

Not taking Risks (Yes he has a great TD/INT ratio but sometimes you have to sling it. I love what he did when we were down 38-26, he took some risks and tried to thread the needle, worst happens you get picked off. Favre was Mr. INT but he is also the winningest QB ever, so sometimes you have to do it)

Etc.

But those things can be corrected with age and experience and are not physical. And enough with these "well if he had a great OL and had Barry Sanders in his prime and had Jerry Rice has his 3rd WR", it'd be different. Its life, your play with the cards your dealt.

Do you consider Jay Cutler as a top 5 QB because if he had WRs and a RB, he'd be way better? Favre had garbage offenses at times where Billy Schroder was his #1 WR, etc. but he still won a ton of games (difference is Rodgers is young and Favre was older, its not saying Rodgers sucks, it just saying he's not there yet). We can't constantly make excuses for him. At some point he has to just plain win and have game winning drives. It will happen but I don't think its the end of the world that it hasn't happened so far. I'm just pointing out that its not an all or nothing argument, he can be in between perfect and Jamarcus Russel.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Rodgers didn't improve in the second half by "taking risks" or slinging the ball up for grabs. He improved by taking three step drops and getting the mf'ing ball out.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

Combined stats against Detroit, Cleveland and St. Louis.

57/80 (71.3%) for 873 yards (10.9 avg), with 7 TDs and 1 Int.

Combined stats against Minnesota x 2 and Cincinnatti.

73/117 (62.4%) for 932 yards (8.0 avg), with 6 TDs and 1 Int.

I left the Bears out on purpose. Don't know where to place them. They're somewhere in between those 6 teams.

The thing that stands out to me is that he's still playing amazing games against these strong teams. Maybe not in the first half, but overall, he puts up some impressive stats.

The thing that I noticed is the 'low' average (still high by league standards) in these big games. Once again, it shows that they tend to figure out that constantly going deep doesn't work well against these strong teams. Problem is, they usually find out too late.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Yeah, this crap with trying to throw deep all the time galls me. I don't like it. Yeah, we have some great WRs, but they're good at YAC too. That's how Jerry Rice did it.
Catch a 5 yard slant and split the defense.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (7h) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (7h) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (12h) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
beast (3-Apr) : Using Patterson as RB and RB/WR tweener... so I think they also signed Patterson as a 3rd down RB, not just a kick returner as articles are
beast (3-Apr) : I think PFT missed the real Steelers/Patterson connection, Steelers new OC Arthur Smith has been Patterson's head coach the last 3 years
wpr (2-Apr) : It has Martha. I was stunned when I was in HS to learn Iowa was still playing half court BB in the 70's.
Martha Careful (2-Apr) : Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese...women's sports has come a long way. GREAT TO SEE!!
Martha Careful (31-Mar) : Happy Easter everyone. I hope you all have a great day.
dfosterf (28-Mar) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (28-Mar) : Yes
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : No.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

8-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

5-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.