nerdmann
14 years ago

Rodgers played a poor game in the first half yesterday but played an exceptional game in the second half.. that speaks well to him overall.

"pack93z" wrote:

McCarthy started to help him out a bit in the second half too. Why we're running these slow-developing 5 and 7 step drops when we can't protect a lick is beyond me. Call some three step drops and let your WRs make some plays after the catch.

"TOPackerFan" wrote:

Exactly.. stated that in a couple threads here.. tried to keep these positive threads positive.. lol.

But Mike McCarthy and the first half play calling was silly as hell.. people point at the D, but they manned up and made some stops in this game..

"pack93z" wrote:

That's right. The Offense couldn't do jack in the first half, causing the Vikes to get the ball at midfield every single time. This is not on the D, by far.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

I didn't get to see the first Vikings game, but I can say that the entire first half of last night's game, I was having flashbacks to the 2007 Cowboys game in which Favre inexplicably came out throwing long bombs that were promptly intercepted. Time after time, McCarthy's gameplanning seems to break down in the really big games. It's like he out-thinks and intimidates himself. A little less trickery and a lot more playing to our personnel's strengths would be a welcome change.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Yeah, why always try to trick or finesse them? Why not just be better than them? We showed we could do that in the second half.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

I didn't get to see the first Vikings game, but I can say that the entire first half of last night's game, I was having flashbacks to the 2007 Cowboys game in which Favre inexplicably came out throwing long bombs that were promptly intercepted. Time after time, McCarthy's gameplanning seems to break down in the really big games. It's like he out-thinks and intimidates himself. A little less trickery and a lot more playing to our personnel's strengths would be a welcome change.

"evad04" wrote:

t

Outclassed and outcoached, the story of Mike McCarthy in big games!!

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Didn't A-Rod come in and direct the offense with relative success in that Cowboys game? So ... when Favre failed (looked like a nutcase in that came) it's McCarthy's poor gameplan. Then Rodgers comes in and ...

Just wondering. Who gets the credit? I say follow the trend on these boards. When Rodgers came in against the Cowboys two years ago, it wasn't McCarthy's playcalling at ALL -- it was Rodgers playing well.

Now, Rodgers leads the NFL in QB rating (not the be-all-end-all statistic, and yes, he's been sacked 31 times and that's the big problem) but none of the credit goes to the head coach.

I've been accused now formally by buckeye as being a McCarthy apologist/defender (see the shot box). I really don't think that's what I'm doing. I do however think that threads that call for his firing are premature and unwarranted. I just think we need to see the positives along with the negatives.

If Rodgers is -- sans the ridiculous volume of sacks -- having a very good year, are we to assume it's happening in a vacuum? Sure, Rodgers is the absolute shit (which I'd agree with) but the playcalling is crap and our head coach sucks. This is such a logical disconnect it makes me sick to my stomach. Rodgers is the quarterback he is in at least moderate respect to the coach with whom he's built a strong relationship with: McCarthy.

Rodgers can't be playing great without McCarthy's impact, but NO ONE is making that argument. One of the reasons why is the seemingly horny obsession with blaming just about everything on our head coach.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

The head coach is responsible for having his team ready to play. MM's teams have consistently come out playing ugly to start games, have consistently had WAY to many penalties, especially in key backbreaking positions and have played quite sloppily.
How many times do the QB and RB have to trip over each other before fans start calling them out? Happened three times in this game, just off the top of my head. One of which caused a fumble. They fumble like this just about once a game.
A couple weeks ago, Arodge was play actioning to a RB that had already run out for a pass.
Then you have the false starts, holding penalties, etc. We have more kick returns with penalties than we do without.
nerdmann
14 years ago

evad04, if you were a little more open minded and less quick to judge, you might understand what I'm trying to say. I have been giving Mike McCarthy credit for a great deal of Aaron Rodgers' exceptional performance. I have stated explicitly and repeatedly that he does have the intelligence and ability to create good gameplans, and when he does, our team excels. In the third quarter, we came out with the kind of strategy we should have been employing from the first play of the first quarter -- and it worked brilliantly. In the 2007 Cowboys game, when Rodgers took over in relief, he played a short-pass, quick-strike game that also worked very well -- and was precisely what everyone expected the Packers to play coming into the game. It was the early attempts at subterfuge that put us two scores down. The moment Favre reared back to uncork those bombs, I was on my feet screaming -- well before they fell into the hands of the waiting defenders. It was a strategy that made no sense.

I readily acknowledge McCarthy is able to draft an excellent gameplan when he doesn't overthink himself. That doesn't mean I won't call him to task when he screws up. In fact, it's because I know he can do it that I judge him so harshly. It's not his talent I question -- it's his stubborness I despise.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

I take more issue with his ability to get guys read to play.
I propose a Packers Drinking Game.
Every time one of the following happens, drink!
-Whenever the Oline gets a penalty.
-Whenever the defense gets a phantom "reputation" penalty.
-Whenever the QB and RB run into each other, trip over each other or somehow miscommunicate.
-Penalties on kick returns.
-Missed FG from 45+ yards.
-Sacks. Extra drink of the guy came unblocked.

It's a pattern, and it has gone on for years. Anybody want to play?
nerdmann
14 years ago

I didn't drink a drop yesterday, but had laid in a case of Blue Moon.

The temperature in the garage is dropping rapidly.

That's all I got right now. It's a good one, though. :icon_smile:

Oh, and my quarterback is incredibly friggin' awesome when I consider the lack of help he gets from his line and/or running backs...

At least I know for sure he is trying to make a play. People seem to bitch about some sacks that are "on him"... He ought to wear those as badges of honor...He is a gamer.

"dfosterf" wrote:

He won't be ABLE to run for his life anymore with TWO sprained feet. Those hits are adding up.
He is responsible for losing this game more than anyone else, btw. It's his play (or lack thereof) in the first half that cost us this game.
Which kind of mitigates it a bit. Since it was all about defending him over The Other Guy.
He did seem to learn how to get rid of it fast on blitzes tho. Nice to see him start doing that. I've never seen him do that consistently before.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I'd rather avoid acute alcohol poisoning.
UserPostedImage
RaiderPride
14 years ago

I propose a Packers Drinking Game.

Every time one of the following happens, drink!

-Whenever the Oline gets a penalty.
-Whenever the defense gets a phantom "reputation" penalty.
-Whenever the QB and RB run into each other, trip over each other or somehow miscommunicate.
-Penalties on kick returns.
-Missed FG from 45+ yards.
-Sacks. Extra drink of the guy came unblocked.

"nerdmann" wrote:

NOPE! Bad Idea... Drinking is meant for celebrating... Not negative plays.

How about we have to smoke crack every time one of these happens, and drink during T.D's and Field Goals?
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Aaron has the number one passer rating in the NFL.

www.cbssports.com/nfl/stats/leaders/NFL/PRAT/2009/regular

"RaiderPride" wrote:

I love Aaron, and I'm proud of him. He played a fine game. It's just, our OL sucked, AP kicked Grant's ass, their STs were superior, their playcalling was better, and Brent was near perfect.

Congrats to Aaron.

And RP, I love how you always find the positives. Let me know when you're in SF. First two drinks are on me.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (17h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (18h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (18h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (21h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.