PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

TJ Lang is a Tackle. I just checked again. That's where he's played.

On the advice to check out another team's tackle I did that too.
Lang 6'4" 316?

First team that I checked, Colts.
Johnson 6'4" 305
Pashos 6'6" 326

Lang's weight pretty much is the average of those two tackles. I could be wrong, but I think Clifton is taller than Tauscher and that leads me to think ... should the LT be taller/bigger than the RT? Which would mean that Lang would be better suited at RT?

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Correct. Cliffy is 6'5" 320 and Tausch is 6'3" 316. Lang has the bulk to play either side. I am hoping that Tauscher takes back over and continues to play as well as he did last year. He was able to protect Rodgers front side. Lang is looking like he can hold par on the left. Then this offseason, find a LT that is a beast, and shift Lang to the right. and I think we would have solid edges again.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
dfosterf
14 years ago
Be stubborn, I don't care.

For the second time, he has and obviously will continue to play tackle.

That doesn't make him one.

He weighs 307 also.

I know everyone SAYS he weighs 316, but he does not. He weighs 307.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/558639 

Player position: OG

Offensive Lineman

Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 307 pounds
Class Year: Sr
Experience: 3V
Hometown: Birmingham, MI
High School: Birmingham Brother Rice
2009 NFL Draft - Round 4

Green Bay Packers
Round 4
Pick 9 (108)

Highlight Videos [more]

No Videos Available.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/t.j.-lang?id=89746 
Originally recruited as a defensive lineman, Lang made a remarkable transformation over the last three years. Despite coming into his own as a tackle in 2008, many professional scouts feel that his drive-blocking ability, reach and quick hand placement could see him shift inside to guard or center.

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/cviewplayer.asp?sport=1&player=70938&type=scoutingreport#scouting 
The Good: A former left tackle who has great feet and initial quickness for an interior lineman. Is natural in space and consistently gets around to pull and get out in front on screens. Plays with good anchor strength and natural flexibility. Sits into his stance well on contact and shows the base to handle the bull rush. A natural slider who will be tough to get around in pass protection.The Bad: Will be forced to make the adjustment to guard at the next level. Isnt real flexible in pass protection and has a tendency to get too high in his stance when asked to slide laterally. Doesnt display a strong punch on contact. Scouting report provided by National Football Post.

Positives: Has a solid build with a wide, square frame. Plays with aggression and seeks to finish blocks. Tough competitor. Very good effort and stamina does not take plays off. Very intense. Great football temperament. Flashes power in his punch and can jolt defenders to the ground. Physical. Great effort leaves everything on the field. Has enough agility to handle the edge. Versatile and could contribute at multiple positions.Negatives: Not a great natural athlete. Shows some tightness in his movement, does not play with consistent knee bend and will fall off some blocks as a result. Lacks great agility. Does not always bring his feet with him on contact and relies too much on upper-body strength. Inconsistent hand use and extension. Regularly has matched up against lesser competition.Summary: A tough, scrappy competitor who lined up at left tackle in college but projects to guard in the pros, Lang still plays with a defensive temperament and possesses the tenacity to earn a starting job. Surprisingly was not invited to the Combine but his physical style is well suited for the pro game. Would be a great fit for a team that prefers tough guys such as San Diego, Jacksonville or Baltimore.Grade: Mid-to-late-draftable talent. Scouting report provided by Pro Football Weekly.

Don't believe the scouts. (Someone show me ONE draft report that projected this guy as a potential starting left tackle in this league this year)

Don't believe me.

Believe your own eyes.

We play in a division that happens to have Jared Allen in it.

We have to stop him when we play him, or we get beat.

T.J. Lang is a tackle against TOMATO CANS.

He is no left tackle against premier defenses.

If you can't understand that point, after already explaining the differences, then it is pointless to discuss it further.
dhpackr
14 years ago
The Packers will not make the Playoffs in 2009, so IMHO, the franchise is not in a great position right now.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
dfosterf
14 years ago
For some perspective, when we took Jamon Meredith in this draft, we left the CONSENSUS BEST GUARD IN THE COUNTRY, FINALIST FOR THE OUTLAND TROPHY AS BEST LINEMAN ----PERIOD---- ON THE TABLE

Why?

Because he played guard in college.

We took a tackle instead. That guard was picked next (Robinson)

Take a look at the draft.

Those college OT's are what get scarfed up. Why?

Because some of them project to being good linemen at the next level, with most of them transitioning from guard to tackle, or possibly RT to LT (eventually)

LT's play against (typically) the BEST player on a team's defense, and also at once protect the QB's blind-side. They should be smart, fast, BIG...they should be arguably in many ways YOUR best athlete on the offense.

Lang is none of that, right now. He has the FRAME to GET big, but that is quite different. Again, he is a ZBSer PERSONIFIED at that position. It does not work against the elite talent in this league. He needed help and did not get it, Incredible how no one hablas when you actually start talking nuts and bolts vs. generalized bitching.
musccy
14 years ago
Ironic that the vikes fan on here is the most rational. On Defense this team needs youth to fill in for Woodson and Harris, but otherwise is fine for years to come. !

Offense needs a replacement for Grant, and 1-2 real tackles (Barbre/Lang are/will be very compotent back-ups) and maybe one more wr to replace Driver. Otherwise that too is going to be very good for years to come.

If Ted Thompson FINALLY splurges this offseason on 1-2 tackles, and maybe some inside depth, this is a young team poised for some very good things in the future!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Ironic that the vikes fan on here is the most rational. On Defense this team needs youth to fill in for Woodson and Harris, but otherwise is fine for years to come. !

Offense needs a replacement for Grant, and 1-2 real tackles (Barbre/Lang are/will be very compotent back-ups) and maybe one more wr to replace Driver. Otherwise that too is going to be very good for years to come.

If Ted Thompson FINALLY splurges this offseason on 1-2 tackles, and maybe some inside depth, this is a young team poised for some very good things in the future!

"musccy" wrote:

Most rational? Thanks.

From a size standpoint, I think Lang might be more suited at RT. What happened to that Breno dude? Wasn't he supposed to be a LT?

I'm off the Grant bus. I'm to a point I'd rather see an aging slow Ahman Green than Grant. Why? Because at least Green lays the wood into people instead of falling down when someone hits him. He hits back.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Yeah, an aging Green has more heart than the young Grant. Like when the aging Rocky Balboa beat up that Machine Gunn kid.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
dfosterf
14 years ago

"musccy" wrote:

I agree with that.

And getting back to Lang, the dude is 6'4" and has real heart. I could easily see him pumping some steel and being that LT we need. It just ain't gonna happen this year. Get some premier O-linemen, let 'em all fight it out, etc. If lang puts on some poundage (for example) he could probably play LG RT ...or LT

I don't know what good that does us for this year, but we are done this year anyway. We are done...not because of losing to the Vikings taking us 2 1/2 back, or projections of wild card spots, etc.

We are done because we do not have the talent on our offensive line to protect our QB when playing good defenses. Anybody see a playoff bound team with a bad defense?

I would also argue that we do not have the offensive line talent to fairly evaluate our Running Backs. I don't see any holes. You see any holes?

Don't give me the "seam" bullshit. I bought that bullshit three years ago. No more.

Big, mean, corn-fed linemen. Make holes. Win the one on one matchup.

It is simple. It has been how it's been done for awhile now.

I don't give a damn what scheme they run as a blocking unit. I just want the guys executing it to be superior athletes. Scheme don't fix inferior athleticism.

Nothing personal against anyone. Sorry if my tone is wrong. I'm pissed. Again. About the same fucking thing.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Yeah, an aging Green has more heart than the young Grant. Like when the aging Rocky Balboa beat up that Machine Gunn kid.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Sarcasm?

I'm just tired of watching Grant. He pitter patters to the line. The ZBS requires the RB to step and CUT and run. He doesn't do that. He shuffles his feet and then creeps in to a hole.

I think Green would just smash into the hole. Which I'd rather see that.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Big, mean, corn-fed linemen. Make holes. Win the one on one matchup.

It is simple. It has been how it's been done for awhile now.

"dfosterf" wrote:

That's what some of us have been saying for awhile now. We're a passing team with run blocking OL scheme. Make sense? Doesn't to me. Although apparently I know nothing according to you because I'm not on the same page as a few scouts you googled. And when it comes to OL, I'll agree with that prediction, lol. I've always just thought OL shoudl be big, nasty, mean and ruthless. I think we have some fluffers on our OL.
UserPostedImage