14 years ago
Wait a minute!

The Packers have only had to punt 20 times. That is 24th in the league.
That is 4 times a game. Zero blocked and zero returned for TD's.
That is good (unless you have a lot of fumbles and INT's and don't punt).

Of the 20, 12 have been returned, 3 fair catches, 2 touchbacks, 3 have been downed, ZERO OUT OF BOUNDS.

30% inside the 20 is slightly below average. Jon Ryan for example has 26% inside the 20. The best have 50% or more inside the 20, the worst have less than 25% inside the 20.

Gross average is 13th. 45.6 yard average and adequate.
Kapinos longest in 58 yards which is 26th in NFL.

The Packers opponents have combined for 22 punts for a 45.8 yard gross ave. So same conditions the gross average is about equal.

Conclusion:
For the price Kapinos is a good value getting average production (half the punters are worse) punting outdoors for minimum NFL wage.

Net punting involves the returners and the coverage personnel.

The Packers net 33.9 yards each punt and their opponents 40.7 yards.
On average 6.8 more yards on each return.

Return yardage is second worst in the league at 194 yards.
That's 16.2 yards/return!

They have also had 55% inside the Packers 20!! Better coverage teams too.

I obtained my stats from NFL.com which does not show penalties on the kick coverage teams or special teams for that matter.

Researching the 20 punts and 12 returns for penalties might glean more information. Penalties are certainly a factor on punts both positive and negative.

Reccomenations:

More directional kicking. Getting some out of bounds would prevent returns.

Cut down on penalties during coverage.
blank
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

Heck call up the browns and offer a 2nd rounder for the cribbs.

"Dulak" wrote:

Heavens no!

Two things:

1) Cribbs, as good of a returner he is, is not much else. A second rounder for Cribbs as only a return man? No thank you! He'd be buried deep on the bench, behind James Jones, Jordy, Brett Swain, and TE Finley. Awful lot to give up for a guy that will see minimal time on the field for the Pack. Add to that, that Cribbs wants a big extension ... and well not much will change when he gets here. Pay big money to a KR who is at best a once in a full moon player on offense? Again, no thank you!

2) Assuming the Packers are in the playoff race this season, expect a pick in the mid teens at best in the first round. We all know that the best prospects at tackle in the draft are found in the top 10, maybe a couple of picks later at best.

If the Packers don't agree to terms with Clifton, then you're looking at a situation where the only true tackle on the roster is one Breno Giacomini. That is downright terrifying. So, in that case the Packers might need to look at drafting not just a tackle, but one who can come in and challenge right away, one at near the top of the draft class.

To even have a shot at such a tackle, you've gotta have another day 1 pick. A second rounder might be immense importance if Ted decides that a tackle is worth moving up for.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

The problem is not the punter in this case.

Kapinos is 13th in Average at 45.6 yards. 32nd in Net at 33.9 yards. That is because GB is the second worst in ret yards. 20 punts 12 returned with an average of 16 yards.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

While I agree with you that you have to look at the coverage units as well, Mike McCarthy has stated for a while now that he wants a directional punter, one who will kick punts out of bounds to limit returns.

Kapinos can kick straight, but beyond that he isn't much of a directional punter. It's still an area of improvement, one which I think requires a new punter as opposed to more time for Kapinos to grow as a punter.

Still, I'm not too deflated with the job Kapinos is doing... he's miles ahead of Frost.
Ted Thompson must still be ruing the day he decided to cut Jon Ryan. He was perfectly acceptable, and provided a good skill set to work with.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Wow, people still don't get it about Jon Ryan huh? Let. It. GO!

Kapino's is doing okay, but as mentioned, his directional kicking needs some work. He's one of the more consistent kickers we've had since I think Bidwell. I like not wondering .. is this going to be a 60 yarder or 20 when Kapinos punts. Although that worry is now replaced with "can we stop their returner?" lol
UserPostedImage
Porforis
14 years ago
Bring back Craig Hentrich!
nerdmann
14 years ago

The problem is not the punter in this case.

Kapinos is 13th in Average at 45.6 yards. 32nd in Net at 33.9 yards. That is because GB is the second worst in ret yards. 20 punts 12 returned with an average of 16 yards.

Punting stats are really hard to look at, you actually have to look at each punt. If a punter is consistently asked to punt from the opponents 45 and puts them at the 10 every time, They end up with a Net of 35 yards. Punters with high Net are usually from teams that can't move the ball so they are always in position to boot it hard instead of pooch punting.

"Dulak" wrote:

Dont you think we should invest in a decent return guy finally? ...

I mean I dont really want our corner backs returning balls ... and now our 3rd WR is out for a few weeks.

If we trade for anything it should be a T.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

I am thinking Swain is the best option for returning. Give him the reps in practice to get comfortable. And what does it really matter. All we do is commit penalties on returns anyway.

We would be better off playing Nickle to prevent a fake and just let the punt go. With all the negative yards we would still come out on the better.

Yeah, Swain would be the logical choice, if he can field punts. That's alot harder than kickoffs. He was very productive as a kick returner in college, iirc.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
nerdmann
14 years ago

I'm with Porforis.

Everytime I see Woodson go back to return punts, I ask, "McCarthy you idiot. What's next, Rodgers returning kickoffs?

You've got an MVP-quality CB, the stud of your defense, and you put him back returning punts?

I'd rather have a team average on punt returns of 0.002 yards.

It's effin' moronic.

"Wade" wrote:

Oh, yes, and you do it against the effin' Lions?

That's beyond moronic.

That's ESPN-sideline-reporter, Nobel-committee level thinking.

"Wade" wrote:

They stuck Woody in there to fair catch that last punt, because it was super windy. Didn't want a muff.
What I thought was moronic was leaving Rodgers in there to take even more hits. Why didn't Flynn play the entire 4th quarter? Rodgers ended up hurting his foot late in the game. Nothing serious, but damn, you know?
nerdmann
14 years ago

Dont you think we should invest in a decent return guy finally? ...

I mean I dont really want our corner backs returning balls ... and now our 3rd WR is out for a few weeks.

"Greg C." wrote:

Will Blackmon was one of the best punt returners in the league last year. Unfortunately, he's now out for the season. It's not often that good return men are on the free agent market, and they're usually not worth a high draft pick. I think Tramon Williams is our best option right now. I hope he is our punt returner for the rest of the season. Jordy Nelson is better-suited for returning kicks than punts.

As for the poor net yardage for punts, it's not a good thing, but it is far down on my list of worries right now. Kapinos is prone to the occasional kick that is low and down the middle, which is the worst possible kick, even more so if it is a long kick, because then the returner can build up a head of steam before he encounters any defenders.

"Dulak" wrote:

I really like the way Jordi goes straight up the field. Plus, we have more depth at his position. Either guy is explosive though. They can both take it to the house any time they touch the ball.
I do think we'll see Swain get a shot though.
nerdmann
14 years ago

Blackmon was 22nd last year in PR.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Blackmon is shifty and he can accelerate. Our special teams sucked last year. My only complaint about Blackmon is sometimes he tries to take it sideways rather than straight up the field.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (17h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.