14 years ago
i wouldn't argue if we spent our entire draft next year on an O-line and traded Grant in the offseason. in fact, i'm going to be pretty upset if we don't.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
If we were to trade Grant, we'd have to spend at least one draft pick on a solid running back -- or trade or one. As mediocre as Grant has been (91 carries for 347 yards, a whopping 69.4 yards per game), our depth behind him is nonexistent. Our two backups have a grand total of 25 yards between them for the entire season! If he goes down for any length of time, we will become a pass-only team ala the 2008 Cardinals.

Part of me wonders if the coaching staff is limiting Grant's reps for that very reason. Even a minor injury could prove catastrophic.

Perhaps Sutton wasn't the long-term answer, but surely he could have got us more than 25 yards in 5 games. For godsake, we went into the season with Jackson on the injured list.
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago
Isn't it kind of strange that a team with 3 fullbacks is 27th in rushing attempts.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

If we were to trade Grant, we'd have to spend at least one draft pick on a solid running back -- or trade or one. As mediocre as Grant has been (91 carries for 347 yards, a whopping 69.4 yards per game), our depth behind him is nonexistent. Our two backups have a grand total of 25 yards between them for the entire season! If he goes down for any length of time, we will become a pass-only team ala the 2008 Cardinals.

Part of me wonders if the coaching staff is limiting Grant's reps for that very reason. Even a minor injury could prove catastrophic.

Perhaps Sutton wasn't the long-term answer, but surely he could have got us more than 25 yards in 5 games. For godsake, we went into the season with Jackson on the injured list.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Read your post again, then ask yourself, how smart would it have been to have kept Sutton on the roster.

Grant, not the greatest.
Jackson, INJURED.
Wynn, unreliable, but you know what you have with him.

Would it make much sense to have kept Grant, Jackson and Sutton? I'm thinking, not a chance.

I'm willing to bet the Packers were hoping to stash Sutton on the practice quad until Jackson healed and we're going to cut Wynn.
Jackson getting hurt in the 3rd pre season game, it changed things. You can't start the season with a unproven un-drafted rookie.

You have to consider WHEN the player was cut and what was going on with the roster before you start questioning what would have been the answer, the fix, etc.

And if you want to argue we should have then kept 4 RB's and only 2 FB's. I blindly agree! BUT then you have one proven FB and one unproven FB. So, you don't win either way. You need to have confidence in your roster.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
Didn't the OL play pretty well at the start of the game, and then worsen as the game went on?

That sort of thing would occur if players played as they practised and what they remember initially before reverting to their bad habits again as the game went on. Could this be possible?
blank
DakotaT
14 years ago
Back to the O-line discussion - I want to see us trying to run with this lineup: Lang, Colledge, Spitz, Sitton, Babre.

Clifton is either too lazy or not capable of run blocking and Wells has his ass handed to him by large DT's. I don't care what he is listed at, Wells is small and can't handle the middle.

People seem to want Tauscher put in so badly, but what makes anyone think he can handle the rigors of a game with a freshly repaired. Besides, Babre and Sitton seem to be settling down on the right, it's the left side that is a mess.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
I still don't think Sutton was worth anything to the team. Just never impressed me. Jackson needs to get rolling.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

You can't start the season with a unproven un-drafted rookie.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

What exactly has Brandon Jackson proven? In 25 games between 2007-2009, he's averaged 4.9 carries per game with a 4.3 yards per carry average. Over that same span, DeShawn Wynn has played in 16 games, averaged 4.0 attempts per game for 5.2 yards per carry. Considering Sutton was second in rushing yards in the NFL in the preseason (yes, yes, the preseason doesn't mean anything . . .), and he didn't bring with him the extensive injury history Wynn and Jackson share and he was dirt cheap, I think it would have been worth taking a flyer on him.

Be that as it may, the Packers obviously didn't think it was worth the risk, and the Rams apparently don't think enough of him to start him either. (Of course with Steven Jackson on the roster, who can blame them?) But with the yawning void we have on our roster behind Grant, our scouting staff should be looking at every possible candidate. I'd rather have a mediocre talent there than nothing. Hell, our quarterback alone already has 113 rushing yards and is on pace for 362 yards for the season . . . more than DeShawn Wynn has for his entire career.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

You can't start the season with a unproven un-drafted rookie.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

What exactly has Brandon Jackson proven? In 25 games between 2007-2009, he's averaged 4.9 carries per game with a 4.3 yards per carry average. Over that same span, DeShawn Wynn has played in 16 games, averaged 4.0 attempts per game for 5.2 yards per carry. Considering Sutton was second in rushing yards in the NFL in the preseason (yes, yes, the preseason doesn't mean anything . . .), and he didn't bring with him the extensive injury history Wynn and Jackson share and he was dirt cheap, I think it would have been worth taking a flyer on him.

Be that as it may, the Packers obviously didn't think it was worth the risk, and the Rams apparently don't think enough of him to start him either. (Of course with Steven Jackson on the roster, who can blame them?) But with the yawning void we have on our roster behind Grant, our scouting staff should be looking at every possible candidate. I'd rather have a mediocre talent there than nothing. Hell, our quarterback alone already has 113 rushing yards and is on pace for 362 yards for the season . . . more than DeShawn Wynn has for his entire career.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

What are not you understanding about KNOWING what you have? Am I saying that Jackson is the answer? No, but he was injured. Grant doesn't appear to be the answer, because he can't be a streak of lightning with < 15 carries a game, which seems all the HC is going to give him.
Wynn can't stay healthy for what 8 games in a row?

Jackson is a solid 3rd down back who can catch out of the backfield and did you notice his good blitz pickup in the game on Drivers one handed catch? You think Sutton or Wynn would have been that heads up on that play?

You sit on the hypothetical bench WAY too much. This is the NFL, you need to go with what you know and what you can depend on. And keep in mind, the stubbornness of this damn staff too!

I think if you put yourself in the mindset of someone building a roster of 53, it makes SOME sense to have kept Sutton instead of Wynn... but with Jackson injured, you really can't do that. Grant is coming off an injury as well. He was hurt near the whole '08 season with his hamstring.

It just doesn't make sense to keep Sutton when you consider everything that NEEDS to be considered. The fact that people are crowing about someone like Sutton should tell everyone a lot more about the LACK of depth at RB during this off season.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

People seem to want Tauscher put in so badly, but what makes anyone think he can handle the rigors of a game with a freshly repaired. Besides, Babre and Sitton seem to be settling down on the right, it's the left side that is a mess.

"DakotaT" wrote:

You mean the communication where they left multiple people come free, I especially liked when Barbre went outside on a corner and left the end go completely free between him and Sitton.

Face it.. the protection scheme, communication and execution along this line is awful. That speaks as much to coaching as anything.

Clifton had a terrible game and in my opinion should not have been on the field. He was cheating as much as he could to protect that fact that he could not effectively push off his inside leg/ankle.. the guy is a gamer, but he isn't ready to be on the field. They need to shut him down for several weeks at the least..

That leads to the next issue.. Breno is obviously not ready to play, healthy scratch each and every week. My opinion, they need to acquire some depth at the left side to give us a fall back if Lang struggles.. The Eagles most likely will be looking, that will tighten up the pool of available players.

This is tiring speaking of the same issue (Oline performance) for a few years.. think we might want to correct it soon? Please.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (13h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (14h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
8h / Around The NFL / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.