wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago

Sharpe would have had alot more if he headn't had to retire because of injury.
That said, I'd rather see Driver with the record, as he's a great guy, and Sharpe was full of himself.
Driver has worked his butt off for this team. And i LOVED watching him today. He was all over the place, and you could see he was having fun.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

I agree with you when it comes to personal reasons, but had Sharpe not been injured, we probably would have won the SBs in '95 and '97. Sharpe was simply unstoppable, much better than anyone we've had since and that includes Javon Walker, despite what Favre says.

Sharpe is better than anyone today, and that includes Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald. Bold? Perhaps. But the stats back me up and I've seen all of them.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Better than Fitz and Moss? Those are HOF WR's.

I wish I was older when he played. I definitely dont recognize him like you guys do.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I have no doubts that Sharpe would have been HOF if his career would not have been cut short.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago

I wish I was older when he played. I definitely dont recognize him like you guys do.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

Moss is simply incredible. If he had half the work ethic Jerry Rice did, he'd be making a run at Rice's records. He doesn't though, and he'll fall short.

Fitzgerald is a blast to watch. Love seeing him going up for a jump ball and coming down with it.

Sharpe though not only had it all, if anyone could have made a serious run on Rice's records, it would have been Sharpe. He was a TD machine.

Even with his short career, Sharpe has been nominated for the Hall. I don't think he'll make it because of how short his career was, and also because the first half of his short career was wasted with mediocre QBs (Majik was good but he only had one or two years where he wasn't hurt).
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ท
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Moss is simply incredible. If he had half the work ethic Jerry Rice did, he'd be making a run at Rice's records. He doesn't though, and he'll fall short.

Fitzgerald is a blast to watch. Love seeing him going up for a jump ball and coming down with it.

Sharpe though not only had it all, if anyone could have made a serious run on Rice's records, it would have been Sharpe. He was a TD machine.

Even with his short career, Sharpe has been nominated for the Hall. I don't think he'll make it because of how short his career was, and also because the first half of his short career was wasted with mediocre QBs (Majik was good but he only had one or two years where he wasn't hurt).

"TengoJuego" wrote:

As long as he actually ran into the end-zone.

But I agree, from what I've seen, he was a very impressive receiver. I found Javon Walker to be a little more flashy, but Sharpe to have way more substance. Jack of all trades and also master of most. If it wasn't for that injury....
Dulak
14 years ago
I remember sharpe; I remember they both used to compete against each other ie the brothers one in denver the other in GB.

I'm real happy for driver. I mean that guy deserves it - another 1 handed catch. The guy just rocks.
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
Yeah CONGRATS to Driver.

Great player and an even better person.

But yeah, kind of strange that he is the only 600 reception guy but I guess that speaks to the lack of WR greatness with the Pack.

But we can't really complain when had Lombardi, Starr, Favre, White, etc.
blank
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
Yeah but put it in another thread but great player and even a better person. Really happy for him. And what a one handed catch.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Screw Brett's marketing deal.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Heaven forfend that the Packers are still considering such a preposterous idea.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Merged.
UserPostedImage
obi1
14 years ago

Sharpe would have had alot more if he headn't had to retire because of injury.
That said, I'd rather see Driver with the record, as he's a great guy, and Sharpe was full of himself.
Driver has worked his butt off for this team. And i LOVED watching him today. He was all over the place, and you could see he was having fun.

"wpr" wrote:

I agree with you when it comes to personal reasons, but had Sharpe not been injured, we probably would have won the SBs in '95 and '97. Sharpe was simply unstoppable, much better than anyone we've had since and that includes Javon Walker, despite what Favre says.

Sharpe is better than anyone today, and that includes Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald. Bold? Perhaps. But the stats back me up and I've seen all of them.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I have no doubts that Sharpe would have been HOF if his career would not have been cut short.

"Cheesey" wrote:

To NOT put a player of SS caliber in the HOF is a shame. It wsn't his fault that his career was cut short... It wasn't gambling, criminal record, drug problems...
hmmmm. 7years of being the TOP receiver in the league and no HOF nod... Something smells fishy!
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Yeah CONGRATS to Driver.

Great player and an even better person.

But yeah, kind of strange that he is the only 600 reception guy but I guess that speaks to the lack of WR greatness with the Pack.

But we can't really complain when had Lombardi, Starr, Favre, White, etc.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

Arguably the best player of his generation was a WR - Don Hutson. He revolutionized the game.

We also had James Lofton, who had the most yards record until Jerry Rice came along.

Sterling Sharpe could have made a run at Rice's record.

Now we have Driver and Jennings, two long shots at the HoF (there are a lot of really, really good WRs today, not a knock on them, just saying there's a lot of competition).

So I wouldn't say the Packers didn't have good WRs in our history.

Now, I wish our site historian would come along and tell us about Dale, Dolar, and Max McGee. How good were they? Before my time so I don't know. The only reason I know about Hutson is I listen to old men in bars talk football.

The other thing, 600 receptions is a new thing. In the old days, you simply didn't pass like you did today. 4000 yards was very rare. I remember Lynn Dickey was one of the first QBs to do it. Now several QBs each year throw for 4000 yards.

Same thing with 100 receptions. Used to be very rare. Not any more.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ท
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (1h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (2h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (2h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : โ€œWeโ€™re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.โ€
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#ร—k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. ๐Ÿ˜
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright ยฉ 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comโ„ข. All Rights Reserved.