Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

The Green Bay Packers determined this week that from now on, if anything happens to Chad Clifton, theyre going to play rookie T.J. Lang at left tackle.

This after shuffling their offensive line moving three players to replace one for the 2 games that Clifton missed with a right ankle injury he sustained Week 2 against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Lang played perhaps better than anyone could have imagined in about 20 snaps late in the 30-23 loss at Minnesota on Oct. 5. Or was his performance really that difficult to imagine?

When the Packers drafted Lang in the fourth round (No. 109 overall), they envisioned him as an eventual starting tackle. He played both right and left tackle during a standout career at Eastern Michigan. In his first pro practice, Lang lined up at right tackle. He stayed there throughout organized team activities and the mandatory minicamp. He took his first training camp snaps there, too.

Yet just a few days into camp, the coaches moved Lang to guard.

Considering they were searching for a replacement for long-time starting right tackle Mark Tauscher and had two other players third-year pro Allen Barbre and second-year pro Breno Giacomini working at that spot who had never before started an NFL game, it seemed like a surprising move at the time.

Now, their decision not to give Lang a legitimate shot at the starting job seems more curious than ever.

Re-signing Tauscher this week, less than nine months after reconstructive knee surgery, is acknowledgement enough that theyre not happy with Barbre, who has struggled the first quarter of the season. Their decision to make Lang the primary backup at left tackle speaks clearly to his skill.

It begs the question: Did coach Mike McCarthy and his offensive staff err in not letting Lang compete with Barbre and Giacomini for the starting right tackle job?

Thats hypothetical, offensive line coach James Campen said. Thats not fair to pin that on the kid or quite frankly to a coach to answer that, because thats not fair.

Likewise, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin wouldnt speculate on what might have happened if they had let Lang compete.

Oh, I dont know, I really havent thought about that, Philbin said. Hes a good athlete. Hes doing some good things. He represented (well) when he went into the game the other night, but I dont know, I dont really think about that.

Barbre worked as the No. 1 right tackle throughout the offseason and seemed like a legitimate candidate even though he lost a battle for the left guard spot to Daryn Colledge in 2008.

Giacomini was another story. The former fifth-round draft pick played in only one game as a rookie, and that was only on special teams in Week 2. He was inactive the rest of the way and sustained an ankle injury late in the season that required surgery, which limited him to almost nothing other than rehab work in the offseason.

We wanted to see where (Giacomini) was at and give him a chance to compete with Allen Barbre a little bit, Philbin said. I think that may have prompted us (to move Lang). You can only get so many guys so many looks, and if you dilute it too much and get too many guys, youre probably not being fair to anybody.

For the first two weeks of camp, Barbre got most of the reps with the starters, while Giacomini worked mostly with the twos. Even after the first preseason game, the Packers still were undecided about that spot and could have gotten Lang back into the mix.

Not sold on Barbre, McCarthy on Aug. 17 opened up the right tackle competition but again never considered Lang. Instead, Barbre and Giacomini split reps with the starters. A week later after the second preseason game, the Packers picked Barbre as their starter.

The coaches put me where they felt I could best play, said Lang, who split most of his training camp reps between right guard and left guard. Obviously, I had a couple of experienced guys in front of me in Breno and Allen, and I kind of fell out of the competition. I looked at the other spots and looked at where I could best fit and best help the line. Its really not up to me. They told me where I was going to play, and I took it in stride and tried to give both spots, guard and tackle, my best.

At this point, Barbre appears to be hanging on to his job by a thread and seems poised to be replaced by Tauscher in a week or two. Barbre gave up two sacks in the opener and has yielded 4 in four games.

Asked whether it was a mistake to move Lang so early in training camp, Campen said: Im perfectly comfortable with where we played him.

For now, Lang will concentrate on left tackle. Clifton is expected to return and start Sunday against the Detroit Lions, but Lang will be ready to go in on a moments notice like he did at Minnesota.

Ive played guard and tackle since training camp, but left tackle would be a nice future, Lang said. If they feel I can play left tackle, then I can continue to build on that and hopefully if they call on me to start, then hopefully I can get the job done.

It's official. Packers have no clue how to assemble a OL. I wanted to fault Ted for it, but it's not him, it's the coaching staff.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
14 years ago
But now, if one of our guards goes down, the shuffling begins again.
This is a placeholder
TheEngineer
14 years ago
Oh, I dont know, I really havent thought about that, Philbin said. Hes a good athlete. Hes doing some good things. He represented (well) when he went into the game the other night, but I dont know, I dont really think about that.

Coaches often say things like that. I really do hope it's just being PC and trying not to provide too much information because I expect coaches to have considered such a move in fine detail and have a clear list of reasons for and against such a move that they use for personnel decisions behind closed doors. Because if they really did not consider it then I'll be very worried.

I expect coaches to be meticulous in detail.

It'll also be very nice to have a future starting LT nailed down and training under Clifton who for the most part has been excellent.
blank
matteogb4
14 years ago
but guys...in the last 2 games and half barbre has showed some improvements...i think it is too early to stop with him...and most of all he and sitton opened nice holes for grant...
blank
shield4life
14 years ago
LoL 1 guy goes down 3 other people change there positions on the line ... ridiculous. It really sad if u ask me. It would much easier just to plug the hole instead of changing the hole completely. (Most of the offensive coaching staff need to go this off season).

*Edit: Let me rephrase that (O-line coach needs to go a.s.a.p. so does the ZBS.)
Glad To Be A Packers Fan.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

But now, if one of our guards goes down, the shuffling begins again.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

True, still a problem. Need to get Lang able to cover both LG/LT primarily and whoever to backup both RG/RT. Then have the both of them backup each other.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Pack93z
14 years ago
I date my comments back to the 07' season that Campen and Fonteno aren't getting it done.. nothing has changed in two seasons from that point.

The proof is in watching guys take so long to develop with poor technique along the way.. sprinkle in communication issues and not utilizing people to the best of their ability and you have what we have.. poor line play more consistently than not.

But as I was breaking down Lang post draft, I am of the belief that he might have the best natural footwork along our line currently.. my question was could he make the jump physically.. he held his own against Allen.. albeit fresh verses tired, but Lang also didn't get the benefit of getting into the game over the course of the previous three quarters.

As long as they don't keep dicking around with this kid, I think he has a chance to be special for us.. pick his spot, let him develop and grow.

There is a reason that teams don't play musical chairs with the offensive line.. most of the time.. guy gets anchored into a spot early in his career and allowed to grow into knowing everything that can be thrown his way.. experience breeds performance.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago
What really pisses me off about all this, is that they went into the season with one backup tackle on the roster, and he isn't even ready enough to suit up.

That is some piss poor planning on both the coaching staff and personnel. Hell they were using Lang as a guard in the preseason.. and people wonder why the topic is bought up again and again.. because it was pathetic way to start the season in terms of depth.. and easily cost us the Bengals game if not the Vikings as well..

We were lucky to win the Bears game the way Barbre was getting abused.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Thats not fair to pin that on the kid or quite frankly to a coach to answer that, because thats not fair.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I've met gradeschool girls who are more articulate than that. If a grown man had the gall to say something that moronic to my face and expect me to take it seriously, I'd have to walk away to restrain myself from slapping him in the face.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.