buckeyepackfan
14 years ago

For not caring what the later rounds produce, then compare to history. Here is Ron Wolfs draft history on 1st and 2nds with their time in GB.

92 T'Buck (3 years), Mark D'Onofrio (2 games)
93 George Teague (3 years), Wayne Simmons (4.5 years)
94 Aaron Taylor (3 years),
95 Craig Newsome (4 years)
96 John Michels (2 years), Derrick Mayes (3 years)
97 Ross Verba (4 years), Darren Sharper (8 years)
98 Vonnie Holliday (5 years),
99 Antoine Edwards(5 years), Fred Vinson (1 year)
00 Bubba Franks (8 years), Chad Clifton (9 years and counting)

By pick comparison IMO Wolf was no better than Ted. Probably worse. But Ron did make some nice trades.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Looking at that list a good number of those players were either traded or left via FA's, to go on and play at a high level for other teams.

Not to many NFL busts on that list.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Seriously? Ted wasn't even around as our GM back in '92? Weren't there only 28 teams back then? 28 feeding from the draft increases your odd's a bit compared to 32, No? Wasn't that just about the time of Free Agency? That may have played a roll in things? Different rules back then? Better or worse draft pool?

This is about TED THOMPSON's draft history, not the history before him. Compare HIS drafts to other GM's drafts during the same duration.

Posting other GM's draft picks from years beyond is exactly wrong for some reasons mentioned above.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Awfully quick to label players "bust" for effect.. IE Lee.. whatever makes your case stronger.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Yeah I think it's a pretty poor analysis by someone who has been wanting to write that for along time. Now is the best oppurtunity because of the preseason hype the Packers generated. That hype has turned out to be the worse thing that could possibly ever happen to the Packers going into this year. People are mad. When I write my packer fix for the week, I think I'll go into a little more detail about that.

As far as Thompson's drafts go.

This years draft cannot be looked at. You just can't base a draft after one training camp and four regular season games. The article loses some creditability with that.

Driver didn't see the field much early as a 7th round pick and he's turned out to be one of the best Packers' receivers in team history. Probably No. 4 so it takes time with the draft. I recall someone saying Ron Wolf said something about batting 300 in the draft isn't bad. That's pretty good. I think I heard that on the radio (Havel?) though so I don't have a quote.

Thompson's first two drafts were solid in my view. Aaron Rodgers, Nick Collins, and Greg Jennings have been solid. Hawk is a solid football player. Not great, but solid. A four year starter out of a fourth round pick in Brady Poppinga is also very good. Colledge at guard isn't bad. He was also never drafted to be a tackle IMO. Spitz at center isn't bad either. That's a good nucleus to start your drafting with.

Since 06 though, it's gone down hill. It's now fair enough to suggest that players like Justin Harrell, Brandon Jackson, and Aaron Rouse are busts. That draft might be his worst one. Barbre is a guard playing tackle and for all the flash Bishop has given the Packers, he hasn't seen the field. Hall and Crosby are what they are. That would be late picks that are role players and that's fine, but as you can see, Thompson missed on three of his first four picks including his first and second picks that year. That draft is hurting the Packers and one of the reasons why GB is where they are as a team right now. It's also worth noting that James Jones has been regressing as a player.

Last years draft is interesting. Jordy Nelson looks good and I think he has a career ahead of him. Brohm and Lee are busts especially Brohm. I actually think that pick is his worse pick of all. Finley, however, could end up being one of Thompson's best picks. It's still a work in progress to judge that draft IMO, but the bigger picture is starting to set in and that's maybe the Packers shouldn't of traded down in that draft.

How different would Green Bay be this year if Thompson moved up for Sam Baker instead of Atlanta? Quite different. Those types of decisions hurt.

Back to this years. Saying Clay Matthews is going to be a beast after four games is as premature as saying B.J. Raji is going to do nothing in his career or is another Harrell. It's too soon to tell and quite frankly, that draft should just be set aside.

I don't think many GMs in today's league are great at the draft. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England, Indy, and San Diego. That's about it and I've liked what Jerry Reese has done in his short time with the Giants. Philly isn't bad. I may of left someone out.

Beyond that though, Thompson falls in line with just about the next group. Maybe the next best. He's above average to good IMO at the draft. You can win with his drafting. Being above average to good doesn't make him a good GM though. A good GM uses all his resources and that's his downfall.

The 07 draft + one free agent signing since then is the reason why this team is struggling. If that draft was like the two prior, this team is probably 3-1 and Packer fans feel as good as Bear fans right now. If Thompson signed maybe three or four guys over the course of that span, the same thing applies. Problem is he didn't.

"porky88" wrote:

Yes. Wolf wasn't afraid to use Free Agency and that's what separates Wolf from TT. I believe in a balance.

I think he's next tier when it comes to drafting, as you said, but you're right - he doesn't use all his resources. After the beating that Rodgers has taken, I want to hear that Ted Thompson is losing sleep every night working his tail off trying to find an OL.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
packfan4
14 years ago

Awfully quick to label players "bust" for effect.. IE Lee.. whatever makes your case stronger.

"pack93z" wrote:

I agree, I don't think you can label someone a bust until they've been in the league Aaron Rodgers AT LEAST 3 years.
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago
Giants

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?teamId=3410&type=team 

1 	31 	Kenny Phillips 	FS 	Miami (Fla.)
2 	63 	Terrell Thomas 	CB 	USC
3 	95 	Mario Manningham 	WR 	Michigan
4 	123 	Bryan Kehl 	OLB 	Brigham Young
5 	165 	Jonathan Goff 	LB 	Vanderbilt
6 	198 	Andre Woodson 	QB 	Kentucky
6 	199 	Robert Henderson 	DE 	Southern Mississippi

1 	20 	Aaron Ross 	CB 	Texas
2 	51 	Steve Smith 	WR 	USC
3 	81 	Jay Alford 	NT 	Penn State
4 	116 	Zak DeOssie 	LB 	Brown
5 	153 	Kevin Boss 	TE 	Western Oregon
6 	189 	Adam Koets 	T 	Oregon State
7 	224 	Michael Johnson 	SAF 	Arizona
7 	250 	Ahmad Bradshaw 	RB 	Marshall

1 	32 	Mathias Kiwanuka 	DE 	Boston College
2 	44 	Sinorice Moss 	WR 	Miami (Fla.)
3 	96 	Gerris Wilkinson 	LB 	Georgia Tech
4 	124 	Barry Cofield 	NT 	Northwestern
4 	129 	Guy Whimper 	T 	East Carolina
5 	158 	Charlie Peprah 	DB 	Alabama
7 	232 	Gerrick McPhearson 	DB 	Maryland

2 	43 	Corey Webster 	DB 	Louisiana State
3 	74 	Justin Tuck 	DE 	Notre Dame
4 	110 	Brandon Jacobs 	RB 	Southern Illinois
6 	186 	Eric Moore 	DE 	Florida State
dhazer
14 years ago
LTF serious question what was the last post about are you trying to show that the Giants gm is better than Ted Thompson ?
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
longtimefan
14 years ago

LTF serious question what was the last post about are you trying to show that the Giants gm is better than Ted Thompson ?

"dhazer" wrote:

26 players 05-08

they NAILED it..GREAT draft...3 out of 4 great pick ups...

one guy from that class has done some good,nothing special..Rest from 06 either are not playing, or never play 1 out of 7 BAD DRAFT

Smith and Bradsaw are good pick ups....Other than that it was not a great draft..2 out of 8

3 out of 7 gone...2 out of 7 playing alot...

So 8 players out of 26 on team making plays.. 30%

Same as Ted? 12 out of 40

I think thats right
Fan Shout
dfosterf (24m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (38m) : Yes
Zero2Cool (1h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (4h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (18h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.