14 years ago
Their line is better than ours minus our LT and LG, absolutely. Then factor in the crowd noise when our O-line was out there, and what that did to the snap count (simplified it) as well as their timing at the snap plus communication pre-snap, and they blow us out of the water.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

Wow what a big circle has been turned here. I remember saying how the Vikings o-line was worse than ours and now they have a very good line? What about the rookie starting and losing their center?

"dhazer" wrote:

First, look at the numbers that MN line has put up, going into the Monday Night game they had given up 9 sacks to our 11.. that speaks volumes to two aspects, one they have questions on the line and two we didn't attack the line for pressure.. we played gap responsibility almost purely the entire game.

Couple of reasons we didn't dial up the blitz as much as we probably would have liked.. Minnesota did a solid job of keeping themselves out of pure passing situations for a good share of the night. Why is that important, because the game plan from the Packers was to limit Peterson and make that Vikings rely on the pass. We choose our poison of the pass instead of the nonstop bleeding Peterson has hammered people with in the second halves of games.

By making the Vikings one dimensional and looking at the footage of the Vikings previous games, they probably felt they would get a couple of the drops and lapses that Viking passing game had shown, additionally they probably felt that Jenkins and Jolly could put a little more pressure on Favre than we did. We didn't..

We made Favre throw the deep to intermediate balls, something that he hadn't done for much the of first three game, excluding the last second heave in the Niners game. We might have felt that there is something to the fact that the Vikings really hadn't went vertical yet.. maybe setting the Packers up in a sense.

So we can break down all the film or stills we want on Rodgers or we can complain that we schemed to make sure Peterson didn't beat us all we want.

The simple pure reality is we got beat along the lines on both sides of the ball.. and it really isn't a ploy, you win football games along the line of scrimmage more so than any other aspect of the game.

Get dominated up front like we did, your chances of winning that type of contest is slim to none. BTW.. the Vikings oline didn't dominate in the running game, just had the numbers in the pass protections.

A side note, the Vikings put the league on notice as well.. you can't just take away one aspect of the offense.. as a defense, you are going to have to play balanced defensive ball.. we didn't.. we lost.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Dulak
14 years ago
+1 Ironman - great analysis
warhawk
14 years ago

Wow what a big circle has been turned here. I remember saying how the Vikings o-line was worse than ours and now they have a very good line? What about the rookie starting and losing their center?

"pack93z" wrote:

First, look at the numbers that MN line has put up, going into the Monday Night game they had given up 9 sacks to our 11.. that speaks volumes to two aspects, one they have questions on the line and two we didn't attack the line for pressure.. we played gap responsibility almost purely the entire game.

Couple of reasons we didn't dial up the blitz as much as we probably would have liked.. Minnesota did a solid job of keeping themselves out of pure passing situations for a good share of the night. Why is that important, because the game plan from the Packers was to limit Peterson and make that Vikings rely on the pass. We choose our poison of the pass instead of the nonstop bleeding Peterson has hammered people with in the second halves of games.

By making the Vikings one dimensional and looking at the footage of the Vikings previous games, they probably felt they would get a couple of the drops and lapses that Viking passing game had shown, additionally they probably felt that Jenkins and Jolly could put a little more pressure on Favre than we did. We didn't..

We made Favre throw the deep to intermediate balls, something that he hadn't done for much the of first three game, excluding the last second heave in the Niners game. We might have felt that there is something to the fact that the Vikings really hadn't went vertical yet.. maybe setting the Packers up in a sense.

So we can break down all the film or stills we want on Rodgers or we can complain that we schemed to make sure Peterson didn't beat us all we want.

The simple pure reality is we got beat along the lines on both sides of the ball.. and it really isn't a ploy, you win football games along the line of scrimmage more so than any other aspect of the game.

Get dominated up front like we did, your chances of winning that type of contest is slim to none. BTW.. the Vikings oline didn't dominate in the running game, just had the numbers in the pass protections.

A side note, the Vikings put the league on notice as well.. you can't just take away one aspect of the offense.. as a defense, you are going to have to play balanced defensive ball.. we didn't.. we lost.

"dhazer" wrote:

I agree with this. That's why I say forget all the stuff about what Rodgers can do better or scheme changes. BLOCK THE DANG GUY across from you. If they block for the guy you won't have to count how many seconds he holds onto the football.

I am not quite as worried about the defensive rush because when they actually went after it they have been affective whereas the 0 line has gone four consecutive games performing poorly. I am not convinced this D isn't capable of rushing the passer (like I was last year) but Capers just would not cut them loose Monday. There's only a very few teams with the ability to rush four effectively and that's not what Capers was brought in here to do anyhow.

All I can say is hopefully Clifton and maybe Tauscher can come up big one last time. For me, the seasons riding on the balance of how those two positions perform from here on in.
"The train is leaving the station."
doddpower
14 years ago

As I sat down to re-watch the Packers - Vikings game, remote control in hand, I wondered about one thing; Is Aaron Rodgers as good a quarterback as I think he is? The answer, for the most part is YES.

I studied every one of his sacks, over and over again. On five of them, Rodgers had every opportunity to either throw the ball away or look for a safety valve. In each case, he kept looking down the field, hoping against hope and holding on to the ball too damn long. Its nothing more than bad decision-making in that critical moment.
freezes with the ball, and tries to navigate out of the pocket - which is pretty impossible to do on a 3-step drop when everything is closing in around you. He runs right into the path of Jared Allen, who gets the sack and strips the ball, causing the fumble.

"IronMan" wrote:

I think many of you are misunderstanding this article. He isn't saying that he studied individual pictures. He said that he was studying the FLIM! Of course still frames don't give the full picture. That's why he used film. He is just providing the photos to give you an idea of what he is talking about, that's all.

Not sure how anyone got the idea that he was basing his article off of still frames.

I'm just saying!
IronMan
  • IronMan
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

I think many of you are misunderstanding this article. He isn't saying that he studied individual pictures. He said that he was studying the FLIM! Of course still frames don't give the full picture. That's why he used film. He is just providing the photos to give you an idea of what he is talking about, that's all.

Not sure how anyone got the idea that he was basing his article off of still frames.

I'm just saying!

"doddpower" wrote:

Heyooooooh! Bingo!
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

As I sat down to re-watch the Packers - Vikings game, remote control in hand, I wondered about one thing; Is Aaron Rodgers as good a quarterback as I think he is? The answer, for the most part is YES.

I studied every one of his sacks, over and over again. On five of them, Rodgers had every opportunity to either throw the ball away or look for a safety valve. In each case, he kept looking down the field, hoping against hope and holding on to the ball too damn long. Its nothing more than bad decision-making in that critical moment.
freezes with the ball, and tries to navigate out of the pocket - which is pretty impossible to do on a 3-step drop when everything is closing in around you. He runs right into the path of Jared Allen, who gets the sack and strips the ball, causing the fumble.

"doddpower" wrote:

I'm just saying!

"IronMan" wrote:

But he is using the still to try and say Rodgers missed a simple dump to Grant to avoid the sack and fumble. When in reality, it wasn't a simple dump. Click that still one more frame and it would show Rodgers scrambling. The Safety was conveniently using a still that doesn't show the LBer that is shadowing Lee. In position to make a break on the ball if Rodgers tries to flip it over Wells and Williams.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"doddpower" wrote:

I'm just saying!

"IronMan" wrote:

I see where you're going, but I think you're misunderstanding my point. He's using the still frames to help prove his findings and I'm saying the still frame for each does not prove anything and he appears to be using said still frame's as proof.

My point, since I haven't said it enough yet (or clear enough? I suck at thsi sometimes) is the frames shown do not tell the whole story as he implies. He see's a guy open and says shoudl have thrown it to him. I say, that's not accurate because there's more to tell in this than what one frame delivers.

He's saying here check this frame and here's my point based on that frame. At least that's what I got from reading it. We can't tell if there's a passing lane there or not or if he's going through his progressions, etc. There's so much more to it than just the still frame shown and it appears that's where his perception is coming off of.

Regardless, this is my fault here. I don't want this turning to it what it has any further. The man did a good job of going over the film and took pictures to HELP prove what he saw. I'm very thankful for that (even though my posts most likely give a different view) of the time and effort put in.

I simply would like to see the entire play before trying to pinpoint certain things.
UserPostedImage
PackerBuddha
14 years ago
You can not compare the Packers offense to the Vikings offense. The majority of the Vikings passes are little dump offs that let their speed play out in space, while the majority of the Packers O is the medium to deep pass. Its easy to say Favre made the right read, but how do we know that wasnt his only read?
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
They did have a number of screens set up through the game.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
36m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.