Yerko
14 years ago
Tauscher coming in is better than what the Packers have on the field right now. The guy might not be in total game shape but it is not like he just slid off his recliner with empty beer cans everywhere and decided he was ready to play again. The guy has been working out and this is a minor and very much needed adjustment in our offensive line....for now.
UserPostedImage
digsthepack
14 years ago
I believe Levi Jones is still out there....of course, he wants to be a starter. Perhaps he can be lured with open competition for the LT spot, and the prospect of filling the position once Clifton is gone, which I believe will be after this year. Dude is a pretty decent player.

Beyond that, this is one position I will be pissed over if Ted Thompson does not address in FA this off-season. Don't need to go all "Steve Hutchinson money" on a guy, but get someone competent with some ceiling to grow...and get rid of that godforsaken ZBS.
State Motto: "Wisconsin, our serial murderers eat their kill!"
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
Tauscher coming back doesn't fix what's wrong with the o-line: True.
Clifton getting healthy doesn't fix what's wrong with the o-line: True.
Bringing in a Levi Jones wouldn't really fix what's wrong with the o-line: True.

All of the above are true. So, then what do we do? Stick with the slappies we've been putting on the field and watch Aaron Rodgers go the route of David Carr?

There are two topics, here: 1. What does the team do to address the deficiencies up front for the rest of this season (still 12 full games to go, folks - it's not baseball, but it does go on for a while)? 2. What is a long-term solution to this issue?

As to topic 2, Nonstop is, I think, correct. Bringing back Tauscher or bringing in a Levi Jones will do nothing to fix this line long-term. There needs to first be a decision about scheme - I'm in the camp that would like to see the ZBS go away, at least for the most part. Once you know how you want your line to work, there then needs to be an influx of players that will be capable of making that line work. This takes time, but I agree that it's long past due.

As to topic 1, I start to wonder if people have simply given up on the season 4 games in. So do nothing? Let it play out and hope for a good draft position? I guess I'm missing something, here, because October 7 is WAY too fucking early to throw in a towel. This is not the Bills. This is not the Browns. The Packers are 2-2 with a good shot to be 4-2 by the time they get another shot at the Vikings - they'll also have had a bye to get healthy and prepare, and will have 2 more games of experience and opportunities to improve their level of play. A healthy team that knows better what it's doing can beat the Vikings, and then the season looks a lot different.

The biggest differences between a Tauscher and a Barbre are physical and mental - Barbre is physically in a different place than Tausch - he's faster, etc., Tausch is, well, older. But Tauscher (Clifton, Jones, Runyan) knows how to play the RT position. I would argue that at this point Barbre, College and Lang do not - they may be wonderful physical specimens, but they're getting schooled by older more crafty DEs, or are getting schooled by younger guys who are as physically gifted as they are if not more, and again I'd wager it's because they don't know how to play that position.

Could they learn? Maybe. And if I really looked at this as some sort of rebuilding year, and if I didn't mind my young franchise QB getting smacked around all season long in the process, I'd probably say we need to leave them in there and let them get their trial by fire.

I don't think it's a rebuilding year. I think it's a year where this team could make some significant strides towards being a team to be reckoned with. And I don't think the experience the young OTs would gain is worth the risk of getting your QB injured or making him a basket case.

This is all a very long-winded attempt to say: Yes, bring Tauscher back. Yes, look very closely at bringing a Levi Jones or a John Runyan in, as well. We should at least try putting some experience back in those OT positions and at least see if that will help. If not, fine. Didn't work, and it'll have to be addressed from a long-term perspective in the offseason. But at least they'll have tried.

Sorry - that rambled a bit.
blank
Cheesey
  • Cheesey
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Not rambling ILIKE, all good points.
We NEED to do something to stop the bleeding for NOW. Long term there has to be an operation to repair the line long term.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
I may think Barbre has a ways to go on the field, but this type of trait I admire. There is nothing to fear from competition if you hold high confidence in yourself and your ability to work.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml 

Barbre: I'm planning to compete against Tauscher
The person most likely to be impacted by the seemingly imminent signing of Mark Tauscher reacted to that news today.

Allen Barbre, the team's starting right tackle (for now), spoke with coach Mike McCarthy about the possible move yesterday.

"I'm planning on competing and seeing what happens," Barbre said. "I'm just focusing on what I can do and how I can get better."

Barbre, who is in his first season as a starter, said he believes he has improved since he struggled mightily in the season opener against Chicago.

"I think I've improved but still not where I want to be," Barbre said.

The Packers haven't re-signed Tauscher yet and might not do so until next week. There's probably no reason to do it this week during the team's bye because they aren't scheduled to practice at all this week and players were excused for the week today.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
djcubez
14 years ago

Bringing in a Levi Jones wouldn't really fix what's wrong with the o-line: True.

All of the above are true. So, then what do we do? Stick with the slappies we've been putting on the field and watch Aaron Rodgers go the route of David Carr?

There are two topics, here: 1. What does the team do to address the deficiencies up front for the rest of this season (still 12 full games to go, folks - it's not baseball, but it does go on for a while)? 2. What is a long-term solution to this issue?

As to topic 2, Nonstop is, I think, correct. Bringing back Tauscher or bringing in a Levi Jones will do nothing to fix this line long-term. There needs to first be a decision about scheme - I'm in the camp that would like to see the ZBS go away, at least for the most part. Once you know how you want your line to work, there then needs to be an influx of players that will be capable of making that line work. This takes time, but I agree that it's long past due.

As to topic 1, I start to wonder if people have simply given up on the season 4 games in. So do nothing? Let it play out and hope for a good draft position? I guess I'm missing something, here, because October 7 is WAY too fucking early to throw in a towel. This is not the Bills. This is not the Browns. The Packers are 2-2 with a good shot to be 4-2 by the time they get another shot at the Vikings - they'll also have had a bye to get healthy and prepare, and will have 2 more games of experience and opportunities to improve their level of play. A healthy team that knows better what it's doing can beat the Vikings, and then the season looks a lot different.

The biggest differences between a Tauscher and a Barbre are physical and mental - Barbre is physically in a different place than Tausch - he's faster, etc., Tausch is, well, older. But Tauscher (Clifton, Jones, Runyan) knows how to play the RT position. I would argue that at this point Barbre, College and Lang do not - they may be wonderful physical specimens, but they're getting schooled by older more crafty DEs, or are getting schooled by younger guys who are as physically gifted as they are if not more, and again I'd wager it's because they don't know how to play that position.

Could they learn? Maybe. And if I really looked at this as some sort of rebuilding year, and if I didn't mind my young franchise QB getting smacked around all season long in the process, I'd probably say we need to leave them in there and let them get their trial by fire.

I don't think it's a rebuilding year. I think it's a year where this team could make some significant strides towards being a team to be reckoned with. And I don't think the experience the young OTs would gain is worth the risk of getting your QB injured or making him a basket case.

This is all a very long-winded attempt to say: Yes, bring Tauscher back. Yes, look very closely at bringing a Levi Jones or a John Runyan in, as well. We should at least try putting some experience back in those OT positions and at least see if that will help. If not, fine. Didn't work, and it'll have to be addressed from a long-term perspective in the offseason. But at least they'll have tried.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

Very good analysis, I like how you split the issue a part into long-term and short-term. In all honesty signing Tauscher will help both. At the very least Tauscher can give our young Tackles honest assessments about their game from a player, something that is invaluable to young players. I mean, think about it--you can only learn so much from a coach because they're not actually in the game, the fundamentals and preparation can only get you so far. And that's what I like about the Patriots--in fact probably the only thing I like about the Patriots--how they use veterans. I feel like if we had more experienced players for our young guys to learn from we'd be doing much better. It's not like tackles can learn from an experienced center either i.e., Scott Wells isn't going to teach Barbe shit about playing Right Tackle so why not bring in Tauscher even as a replacement/mentor?
alharrisdude31
14 years ago
wait, so he was cut? or just hurt??
TheEngineer
14 years ago

"alharrisdude31" wrote:

He was injured, and when his contract expired he was never re-signed.
blank
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

"alharrisdude31" wrote:

His contract was up, and he was injured. The team did not resign him in the off season because of the injury, waiting to know if he came back healthy from it.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
porky88
14 years ago

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

To build off of this. You don't need an amazing offensive line to win. It helps and it'd be nice, but you don't need it. If the Packers can at least get average play out of their offensive line, they'll be so much better. That's the thing that Tauscher, a healthy Clifton, and Levi Jones playing behind them would bring IMO.

Average is all I'm asking for. Those expecting a dominate line or thinking it takes a dominate line to win, are probably asking a little too much.

Great post by the way.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (13h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (14h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (21h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (21h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.