Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Aaron Rodgers views life a little differently than most people.

Where others see burdens, Rodgers identifies opportunities.

Whether it was getting overlooked by recruiters coming out of high school, or being passed over by 23 teams in the first round of the NFL draft, or facing the daunting task of replacing a Green Bay Packers legend like Brett Favre, Rodgers has displayed an unshakable, upbeat approach that serves him well as an NFL starting quarterback.

I learned (in college) how important your attitude as a quarterback can be, said Rodgers.

Your daily attitude, waking up each day and realizing its an opportunity and that you need to bring the same energy and enthusiasm consistently day by day.

It means remaining the same person in good times and bad. Rodgers never flinched when fans booed him and chanted We Want Favre at training camp a year ago. Rodgers rose above the Favre trade controversy and blocked out the distraction.

Theres not many things in life that I dont take on or attack without a plan, he said.

In 2005 when he endured the indignity of sitting for hours in front of television cameras while his draft stock plummeted, Rodgers naturally developed a course of action.

When he was finally selected by the Packers, Rodgers took to heart the advice he received from former 49ers safety Merton Hanks, who works for the NFL and was sitting next to him.

He said, I played my entire career with a chip on my shoulder, recalled Rodgers. He said, It fueled me. Do the same.

I think about his words and also the words of (then NFL commissioner) Paul Tagliabue, who said, Good things come to those who wait. Those two conversations I think kind of exemplify my career on the field.

Rodgers waited patiently for three seasons on the bench behind Favre. When his starting chance arrived last year, he became only the second player in NFL history to pass for more than 4,000 yards in his first season as a starter.

Rodgers also bucked a long-standing league trend: players who follow in the footsteps of Hall of Fame quarterbacks have struggled mightily. But Rodgers threw 28 touchdown passes, had only 13 interceptions and posted a 93.8 quarterback rating.

Among the 15 NFL quarterbacks over the past 40 years who replaced a Hall of Famer, only Steve Young, following in the wake of Joe Montana, produced a better rating than Rodgers. No one else in that group had a rating above 77.9.

We knew that he was ready to play, said Packers quarterback coach Tom Clements. It was gratifying to see him handle it the way he did.

Aside from the numbers, one of Youngs former teammates, Harry Sydney, said Rodgers did a better job dealing with the transition than Young.

When Aaron and Brett were (with the Packers), Aaron knew this was Bretts team until Brett left, where Steve was still trying to make it his team while Joe was there, said Sydney, who played for the 49ers from 1987-91 and is now a Green Bay businessman, high school football coach and sports commentator for a local radio station.

(Young) kind of became a pain in the butt half the time. He was a pouter. He pouted a lot.

Rodgers, meanwhile, learned the ropes behind Favre and immersed himself in the nuances of the offense.

He never expressed exasperation during Favres annual flip-flop concerning retirement. And when the circus came to town last summer in the days before and after Favre was traded, Rodgers handled that messy situation about as well as anyone could expect.

Theres so much more than just replacing a legend, said Sydney. Its how you are in the huddle. Its how you are in the locker room. Its how you incorporate the other guys, or how youre going to be around them.

I thought he did an outstanding job.

And yet, like the story of his life, Rodgers was left with something to prove.

Although he silenced the critics who said his arm wasnt strong enough and his body wasnt durable enough to survive an entire season, the Packers finished 6-10 and Rodgers absorbed an undue amount of blame for the teams late-game failings.

The knock against him was that he couldnt rally the Packers to victory in the final minutes, a claim Rodgers promptly debunked in this years season-opening win against the Chicago Bears.

Whats left for Rodgers to prove is that he can guide the Packers to the playoffs and ultimately a championship.

Hes OK with that. He knows high expectations go with the job. He accepts the challenge willingly, and views it as one more opportunity in his life.

UserPostedImage
yooperfan
14 years ago
He has the attitude, he's got the physical tools and, hell, he's got most of the weapons available (except running back) to be a top NFL QB.
All he needs now is an offensive line to give him a chance to perform at a high level.
Patlee22
14 years ago
I think this is the game where Aaron gets back on track and starts to play like an elite QB. He has the tools to be and shows flashes, but it's just a matter of time until he really "breaks out".
blank
Dulak
14 years ago

I think this is the game where Aaron gets back on track and starts to play like an elite QB. He has the tools to be and shows flashes, but it's just a matter of time until he really "breaks out".

"Patlee22" wrote:

I agree we will see alot of passing yards today by arod and his posse'
nyrpack
14 years ago
just protect him properly and things will be ok !!
jimmy b.
Silentio
14 years ago
I've been thinking of Rodgers as our Steve Young, except without the annoying, whiney, pretentious stuff that makes Steve Young so unlikeable. Nice to see someone else echo it.

Go Rodgers!
blank
nerdmann
14 years ago
If he wins, I don't care what his attitude is.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (8h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (9h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (9h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (10h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.