LambeauEast
14 years ago
WOW, horrible article indeed! Matt Flynn, really?! Rodgers with time, and receivers actually catching balls thrown to them, would be lighting things up.

Hmmmm, I wonder if I could become a sport's writer. Just jot down anything, no matter if it's based on truth, or not.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Yes it is a Chicago based mag.. can't help but think that this isn't a little backlash that Cutler faced after week one.

People can downplay Rodgers play all they want, but two things stand out to me from Rodgers so far this season.

1) With the amount of pressure he has faced, he has taken care of the ball admirably through two games. Not only talking about the interceptions, but ball security in the pocket as well. Young QB's rarely show that type of poise under pressure.. just ask Cutler, Stafford or Russell.

2) He is showing the maturity both on the field and off it by not assigning blame anywhere but directly back at him as well. Yes I have been critical of the young man with some of his statements, but these times where he stands tall makes me proud that he is our quarterback.

Some of the article isn't a stretch.. but some is plain laughable for its bias and protection of Cutler in nature.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
If he starts throwing the ball out of bounds as much as some fans want, his completion percentage will be in the toilet, which will then be used by certain people to show he's inferior to . . . other quarterbacks. I've watched and rewatched every sack from that game, and I agree that only one was his fault, with at least one sack occurring when Colledge pushed Odom into Rodgers. There could easily have been 8 or 9 sacks last game, but Rodgers was able to elude the rush several times, particularly when he stepped up in the pocket. Perhaps the biggest knock on Rodgers right now is that he's so intent on making the play, he rolls out to give himself greater time instead of stepping up in the pocket, thereby exposing himself more. I'm sure that will be resolved if he can just get a little more time back there.

Call me crazy, but these evaluators sound like the fox who cut off his own tail. They haven't picked up anyone better, so they're sitting around convincing themselves Rodgers isn't all that great anyway. Jealous old maids.
UserPostedImage
gijoe82
14 years ago
The way I see it there are a couple of things that can be worked on.
1: Play calling bad in that game. To many shots down the field when protection was not able to handle the ammount of protection time that was needed.
2: Rodgers was holding the ball too long on some of those downfield plays, I know the oline wasnt giving him much time, see point 1.
3: Should have been more high percentage plays called. Where are the quick slants? I know EFFing RG fumbled a screen and droped an easy dumpoff.. looks like we were really missing BJ.
4: Should not have cut smith with Bigbys OR Collins injury history.
5: Oline needs time to come together and gel too. See point 3

Oh yea and what a crap filled article! Sound like someone at ESPN wrote that.
blank
gijoe82
14 years ago

I'm going to nitpick this article, since I think it is fallacious or otherwise unnecessarily biased against Rodgers and the Packers.

Through two weeks of the 2009 season, savvy evaluators remain very skeptical, pointing out his tendency to squeeze, squeeze and squeeze the ball before he unloads it, taking too much time to get it out of his hands and pull the trigger. His offensive line did not give him much help in the 31-24 loss to the Bengals, especially after OLT Chad Clifton was knocked out of the game early in the second half, and the pocket began to fold very fast.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

I've never heard anything about this squeeze, squeeeze squeeze thing. No citation.

The pocket was folding well before Clifton left.

ORT Allen Barbre is still very much a project, not strong enough or physical enough to handle the right side, and OLG Daryn Colledge, a college left tackle, proved why he needed to move inside as a pro when he kicked out to replace the injured Clifton. Colledge's short arms and soft demeanor allowed the Bengals to terrorize the corner. The Packers' edges looked like a swinging gate for most of the second half, as Antwan Odom notched a career-high five sacks, and pressure on Rodgers was very consistent.

Coaches disagree and think Barbre's problem is that he wasn't focussed on fundamentals. Same problem with Colledge, fundamentals. Physically they are capable of playing to a higher level than they did. No mention of the almost complete lack of practice for Colledge.

Nonetheless, no quarterback can expect the pocket to remain clean, and Rodgers, who lacks escapability, was just as much to blame for not getting rid of the ball more quickly. He too easily is tracked down like he is moving in mud anytime a defender comes close to him, and his eyes too quickly began to drop when he was pressured.

Rodgers ran into a sack on one play that I remember. A lot of the sacks was a stunt to move inside by Odom, whilst Rodgers did his 5 or 7 step drop back. Once Rodgers completed his drop back they were already in his face.

Whenever he did get outside you can see he's looking downfield to try and throw. EVEN THEN, Rodgers must have thought nobody was open. So he'd have to scramble.

"Everyone wants to anoint him before he passed the test," an NFL evaluator said following the game. "He was 6-10 in his first year as a starter, and people want to say he is better than (Brett) Favre. If I were Brett, it would probably hit my button, too. What has (Rodgers) done?

Favre, in this offense, would have taken more than 5 sacks. Favre is slow. In the Vikings game a lot of times Favre looked like he got caught in the middle of the pocket with nowhere to run and took a sack. I don't recall Favre scrambling outside of the pocket and making throws on the run which Aaron did, (I'd love to see highlights if he did though). Even if he didn't take sacks, he would have thrown more than zero interceptions. Yes, Mr. article writer, Rodgers IS better than Favre, in this offense at this stage.

Some evaluators are even convinced backup Matt Flynn has a brighter future than Rodgers, having shown great ball placement in the preseason and much better escapability, which is more valued behind a line playing as poorly as the Packers'. If Rodgers should go down, as he has had a tendency to do early in his career, it could be a blessing in disguise.

Already discussed in previous post.

The jury remains out not only on Rodgers but on a Packers team that many predicted could contend for the NFC championship. The running game is struggling to establish itself, and the Packers barely escaped the first week, in which the Bears were badly stricken by injury and Jay Cutler tossed a career-high four interceptions in a loud, hostile environment. Now, the Packers could be seriously tested next week by a St. Louis defense that has been much improved under Steve Spagnuolo's leadership.

Cutler threw a career high 4 interceptions precisely because he played the Packers defense. The loud, hostile environment is OUR stadium. They are not outside variables that the Packers fortuitously were given but part of the identity of this Packers team.

A very good analytical breakdown of the article +1
blank
Patlee22
14 years ago

If he starts throwing the ball out of bounds as much as some fans want, his completion percentage will be in the toilet, which will then be used by certain people to show he's inferior to . . . other quarterbacks. I've watched and rewatched every sack from that game, and I agree that only one was his fault, with at least one sack occurring when Colledge pushed Odom into Rodgers. There could easily have been 8 or 9 sacks last game, but Rodgers was able to elude the rush several times, particularly when he stepped up in the pocket. Perhaps the biggest knock on Rodgers right now is that he's so intent on making the play, he rolls out to give himself greater time instead of stepping up in the pocket, thereby exposing himself more. I'm sure that will be resolved if he can just get a little more time back there.

Call me crazy, but these evaluators sound like the fox who cut off his own tail. They haven't picked up anyone better, so they're sitting around convincing themselves Rodgers isn't all that great anyway. Jealous old maids.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090923/PKR01/90923177/1058 ) totally contradicts what has been said. Oh yeah, the article lost all of its credibility when one of the "evaluators" said Matt Flynn has a brighter future than Rodgers judging off a pre-season. That's a joke of a statement.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (11h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (15h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (16h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (18h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (19h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.