zombieslayer
14 years ago

We have 3 FBs on the roster. Perhaps we need to put this play in the book and see what happens.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Agreed.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
Unfortunately Don Banks damages his credibility in my eyes when he goes into raptures and credits Sanchez with winning the game against the Patriots. I don't think the Jets won that game so much as the Patriots lost it. I mean, come on, they scored 9 points! It's not like Sanchez exactly lit up the scoreboards. 16 points will win you a few defensive shootouts, but it's hardly a recipe for a dominant season. Unless the Jets' defense is shaping up like the Baltimore defense from their Super Bowl winning season.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
14 years ago
The zBS is a failure. However, what killed us this week was drops by the WRs. Keep those drives alive, burn clock and keep the BeenGirls off the field. This also keeps our defense fresh and prevents us from shanking/line driving punts which are returned for big plays.
We pass, to set up the run.
NOTE: The modern NFL has had rule changes which favor the passing game. This is the premise upon which the WCO was developed. In Lombardi's time, the rules favored the running game, so it made much more sense to base your offense on the sweep.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
14 years ago

Unfortunately Don Banks damages his credibility in my eyes when he goes into raptures and credits Sanchez with winning the game against the Patriots. I don't think the Jets won that game so much as the Patriots lost it. I mean, come on, they scored 9 points! It's not like Sanchez exactly lit up the scoreboards. 16 points will win you a few defensive shootouts, but it's hardly a recipe for a dominant season. Unless the Jets' defense is shaping up like the Baltimore defense from their Super Bowl winning season.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

The Jets defense is damn good, and Brady is still dancing around in the pocket afraid when you bring the pressure, which NY was relentless about. Add to that the Patriots were playing without their offensive MVP (Welker, yes, Welker) and I can see how they scored so few points.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I'm not deprecating the Jets defense. But is it Ravens/Steelers good? Good enough to hold the line in such low-scoring games for the duration of the season? And if so, I'll give the credit for the winning season to the defense, Sanchez, just as I did with Atlanta and Baltimore last year.

That being said, I'd love to see the Jets beat out the Patriots for a playoff spot. It brings me no small joy that through Week 2, my prediction that Brady would not be a dominant QB this year is holding true.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
How injuries can be fatal; Lombardi- NFP 

...As we all know, injuries in the NFL have played a huge part in deciding the eventual champions. Good teams that avoid injuries become great teams in December when the talent pool has been depleted. Some teams are devastated by injuries at certain positions, and theres no solution to fixing the problem. In 2005, for example, I had a conversation with then-Dallas head coach Bill Parcells about an injury to Flozell Adams, who was going to miss the remaining 10 games of the season. We talked about how there was no long-term solution to losing a left tackle, because if a team has a player with enough talent to become a good left tackle in the NFL, hes not sitting on the bench. Hes in the game. I realize there have been exceptions, especially in Pittsburgh where Max Starks filled in for an oft-injured Marvel Smith at left tackle and learned to play the position on the fly. But for the most part, losing a left tackle can be fatal to a teams success.

Daryn ColledgeAPDaryn Colledge took over at left tackle after Chad Clifton was injured on Sunday.

Last week in Green Bay, we saw the Packers lose Chad Clifton early in the second half, which then forced them to make three moves, moving Daryn Colledge from left guard to left tackle, center Jason Spitz to left guard and inserting Scott Wells at center. These moves had already been prearranged, so during practice week everyone had limited time working at their new positions. This week in practice, with Clifton out with a sprained ankle, the line will be able to practice the positions theyll be playing in the game. Will this help? Not really because the Packers must now try and cover up both edges from being exploited. Its a good thing the St. Louis Rams are the next team on the Packers schedule and not the Vikings.

Did these injuries cost the Packers the game against the Bengals? I dont think so since the Bengals were getting pressure on Aaron Rodgers before Clifton went down. The Bengals were powering back the weak line of the Packers, who want to be more athletic and less powerful by the design of their run game. This lack of power has cost them, and at some point the Packers must find players who can anchor the line of scrimmage and keep the pocket clean for their quarterback.

What was interesting Tuesday in terms of transactions around the NFL was that the Packers fifth-round pick this year, Jamon Meredith from South Carolina, was on their practice squad and chose to leave to go to Buffalo, which was looking for a tackle after placing Brett Butler on injured reserve. Meredith is raw as an athlete and a player. He can run, but hes not always a power player, although that description fits into what the Packers want from their offensive linemen. Meredith played tackle and guard at South Carolina, so he had position flexibility, but he must not have been the right fit for the Packers as they could have easily made room to keep him on the active squad had they chosen to promote him. Letting any offensive lineman leave at this time of the year is not prudent, not normal and not smart -- unless you dont feel the player has NFL talent. But if you feel that way, why was he on the practice squad? Was he good enough for practice squad but not good enough to promote? That logic is hard for me to accept.

Randy ThomasAPRandy Thomas tore his right triceps and will have surgery this week after being placed on injured reserve.

Can the Packers recover? Its early, but offensive lines are like almond trees; they take planning and years to develop before they realize their full potential. With problems now at right and left tackle, this makes the recovery even more difficult but then again, thank God for the Rams.