The_Green_Ninja
14 years ago
So lets talk about their comments... right?
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
"To be, or not to be, that is the question."

How many characters is that?

Or, "The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want."

Or, "Life is too important to take seriously."

Or, "Winning isn't everything. Striving to win is."

In the hands of a master of language, 140 characters can be an eternity.

And in the hands of the typical semi-literate, 3000 words merely says nothing at great length.

I understand why people Twitter. For the life of me, though, I can't understand why people follow the tweets of the Nick Barnetts of the world.

Or read academic journal articles written by most college professors.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
The_Green_Ninja
14 years ago

I understand why people Twitter. For the life of me, though, I can't understand why people follow the tweets of the Nick Barnetts of the world.

"Wade" wrote:

I just like to know what goes on inside Packer games and practices...
UserPostedImage
DanJustDan29
14 years ago
I like to see player reactions to events in the NFL and with The Packers...
Teamwork is what the Green Bay Packers were all about. They didn't do it for individual glory. They did it because they loved one another. -Vince Lombardi
TheEngineer
14 years ago

Or read academic journal articles written by most college professors.

"Wade" wrote:

I'm glad Einstein didn't feel the same way as you do. A lot of knowledge may be gleaned from journal articles. It is an ever expanding knowledge base which is peer reviewed.

Remember that it is the hard work and dedication of these professors and other researchers that you can read news reports on how smoking causes lung cancer, red wine reduces heart disease, whatever the case may be.

Twitter on the other hand is pure entertainment. It's an avenue for fans to talk to players without having to chat to them in the middle of a bathroom (wonder if anyone will pick up that reference). I don't hate twitter, but don't expect Barnett or Finley to write a dissertation on how or why the Packers lost. It's an emotional release, and if you view it as one, then it's tolerable.

I think the players have a right to vent the same way the fans on this forum are doing. If they choose Twitter as their medium of choice, so be it.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Engineer:
I've written some of those articles. I've refereed some.

And read hundreds of them. And will continue to read them.

But they also illustrate that Sturgeon's Law doesn't just apply to science fiction.

Because 90 percent of them are crap.

And while "football tweets" may be pure entertainment, a lot of twittering is not done as entertainment. Its done, and listened to, by very very smart people.

People a hell of a lot smarter than those writing the 90 percent of "peer reviewed" articles.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
TheEngineer
14 years ago

Engineer:
I've written some of those articles. I've refereed some.

And read hundreds of them. And will continue to read them.

But they also illustrate that Sturgeon's Law doesn't just apply to science fiction.

Because 90 percent of them are crap.

And while "football tweets" may be pure entertainment, a lot of twittering is not done as entertainment. Its done, and listened to, by very very smart people.

People a hell of a lot smarter than those writing the 90 percent of "peer reviewed" articles.

"Wade" wrote:

Sturgeon's Law is about as fundamentally sound as our offensive line. It's an adage, no more.

Of course you'll find twitter accounts which will be written by "very very smart people." You'll find NAPKINS with stuff written on it with more insight than some journal papers (or twitter posts, for that matter). That is not to say that journal articles are do not have a place.
blank
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Did you read my posts at all?

WHere did I say that journals had no place?

And there's this funny thing about adages. They become adages because they contain bits of wisdom.

I don't stop reading science fiction because of sturgeon's law. (I have probably read a couple thousand sci fiction novels over the years, and most of them after I first heard Sturgeon's quote. I don't stop reading journal articles because a lot of them are crap. But that doesnt change the fact that a lot of science fiction books, and a lot of academic journal articles, are, in fact, crap.

And when someone comes up with a new way to process information that can replace some of that crap, I applaud.

Because the ratio of crap to non-crap is too high for my taste. At least in the disciplines where I've read widely (history, economics, law) or semi-widely (lit crit, business and management, pol sci).
TheEngineer
14 years ago
Nothing about these "pieces of wisdom" is statistically substantiated.

Furthermore, until there is a time when people begin to write mathematical derivations in 100 character tweets, forgive me if I'm skeptical that Twitter is a better scientific forum of discussion, even with the application of Sturgeon's Law.
blank
Formo
14 years ago
I don't remember who said it.. but I'll reiterate it: Those tweets are merely players venting about the loss. I know it's really hard for some to recognize, but said players ARE people too. Add to that passion, frustration, a character limit, and a cell phone as a medium to 'tweet', and you are bound on getting some misspellings and bad grammar.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (10h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (12h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (14h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (17h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (18h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.