Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Green Bay It should not have come as a surprise to the Chicago Bears that on third and 1 from the 50-yard line - with a little over a minute left in the game - Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy went for six.

Surprising, perhaps, that he took the chance at that point in the game, but surprising that he threw the ball deep?

No way.
[img_r]http://media.jsonline.com/images/199*174/mjs-packers14_-spt__-sieu-packers14-packers14.jpg[/img_r]
Since he took over as head coach in 2006, only one other team - the New Orleans Saints (44) - has more completions of 40 or more yards than McCarthy's Packers (42). Over the last two seasons, the Packers have ranked first and tied for first in completions of that length and enter Week 2 of this season with more (34) than anyone else over the last 33 regular-season games.

The Bears should have seen it coming.

"I think they try to, but we have a lot of threats on this team, so they can't really focus on one thing," said receiver Greg Jennings, who caught the game-winning bomb from Aaron Rodgers. "I think in that situation, that specific situation, third and one, you're pretty much expecting run. You want to stack the line for the run, so you kind of have to play tight.

"But we throw a lot of look (quick-hit) balls. The corner was probably looking for just something like that and got beat deep. I can't say enough for Mike calling that call."

The deep route doesn't take up a very large section in the Packers' playbook considering they run a fairly traditional West Coast offense where slants, hitches, curls and crossing routes are most prevalent. Subsequently, the Packers' receiving corps is constructed mostly of receivers who in college caught short passes and then used the best moves they had to get extra yards.

Jennings was noted for that kind of ability coming from Western Michigan as was James Jones at San Jose State, Jordy Nelson at Kansas State and Brett Swain at San Diego State. Only Donald Driver, who played at Alcorn State, came with a reputation for getting deep, but his lack of size and average speed left him waiting for a call to the NFL until the seventh round of the 1999 draft.

If you were forming a super unit of deep receivers, you'd want the power of Terrell Owens, the grace of Chad Johnson, er, Ochocinco, the speed of Randy Moss and the hands of Larry Fitzgerald. Those are elite athletes with special skills that make them a threat to get deep on any given play.

The Packers' group, on the other hand, doesn't have a single guy who runs under 4.4 seconds in the 40-yard dash. It only has one guy - Nelson - who is taller than 6-foot-1 and weighs more than 210 pounds. Jennings (5-11, 198 pounds) and Driver (6-foot, 194) are considered small by elite receiver standards, the 6-1, 208-pound Jones ran a pedestrian 4.54 40-yard dash coming out of college and the 6-0, 203-pound Swain ran a 4.61 at his college pro day.

So how is it possible that Jennings, Driver, Jones and Nelson have combined to make the Packers one of the better deep ball teams in the NFL?

"It's more technique than anything in football," Jones said. "Speed is probably the last option. Technique-wise, if you think about it in the NFL, you really don't have a lot of guys who run sub-4.3s. All the premier receivers: Fitzgerald, he's not fast. Anquan Boldin: he's not fast. Terrell Owens: he's fast, but he's not 4.3. It's more technique."

In the Packers' case, they have solid route runners who are a perfect fit for an offense that tries to take what the defense offers. The Packers rarely come out of the gate throwing deep, but rather they work the short and medium areas of a defense, hoping to establish a pattern of completing balls in front of defenders. They try to run every route at the same speed, so that when it is time to take the route deep, the cornerbacks don't know it's coming.

"When teams start to get irritated with the ball getting thrown in front of them, the quick stuff, they start to sit and squat on things," receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said. "It's natural to want to jump a route after you've seen it thrown in front of you a couple times. So you take a shot from time to time. You have guys who want to settle on routes; that's the time you want to test them."

If you think about the times the Packers have had the most success going deep, it's usually at the end of the games. Last week was a good example, as was the 71-yard touchdown Driver caught in the fourth quarter against Detroit last December, or the 34-yard pass Jones caught late in the Jacksonville game that set up the go-ahead field goal, or the 63-yard completion to Jennings in the fourth quarter of the Houston game.

The list goes on and on.

A big part of the deep-ball success the Packers have had is McCarthy's trust in his receivers and quarterback to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. First, with Brett Favre, and now with Rodgers, McCarthy has built-in sight adjustments that allow the quarterback to recognize one-on-one coverage and audible out of a pass or run play to go deep.

"We like to take shots down the field, but we still run the West Coast," Jones said. "It's still a lot of the same thing. Most of the time you see us go deep, it's us checking to something. Like if we have a hitch on or something and the guy presses, with our offense we turn that into a go route.

"A lot of things might start from a quick game and then go deep. It's still a traditional West Coast. But when you got playmakers like we do, you definitely want to take advantage of going down the field and making a big play."

The Packers' number of long completions the past two years dwarfs the amount they gained under Mike Holmgren during the 1990s. Even as the Packers were building a powerhouse under Holmgren and Favre, the most passes of 40 or more yards they completed in a season was 11, which occurred during their Super Bowl-winning season of 1996.

Some years they had as few as five completions of 40 or more yards, although in the final three years of Holmgren's tenure they averaged 9.

McCarthy's advantage is having a quarterback with the touch Rodgers has on his deep ball. Favre was never a great deep thrower, but he got better as the years wore on, and completed 17 to lead the league in 2007.

By most accounts, Rodgers throws a more catchable deep ball than Favre. He knows when to put air under it and when to drive it down the field. The fact he missed on a couple of long throws against the Bears was partly attributable to the pressure Chicago put on him all game long, which is something future opponents certainly will take note of.

As the season goes on, Rodgers and his receivers will continue to try to stretch the field.

"We try to have 'shot' passes in our game plans," quarterbacks coach Tom Clements said. "We're a precision, ball-control passing team. If we have the opportunity to take a shot, we'll take a shot.

"We've had some good success with it. It's been a weapon for us."

UserPostedImage
Patlee22
14 years ago
People typically think this team should be a run 1st team given the bad weather that comes in the winter but, the truth is that we're a pass 1st team. That is our strength and I would've thought our opponents would have realized this by now. Our opponents should always be prepared to defend the pass given that Mike McCarthy will throw in a "curve ball" every now and then. I'm definitely excited now that J-Mike is maturing into a better football player so now our looks on offense could confuse our opponents with our 2 TE sets. Our opponents won't know if we're honestly gonna pass or run the ball, even if we do have the play in mind, Aaron can always audible out of it in the same formation into pass or vice versa. This should be a huge year for Aaron.
blank
Dulak
14 years ago
I always love it when rodgers throws for 20+ yard plays. And then we give it to driver/jennings and see what they can do after the catch.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
I have to disagree a little, on most passing plays, there is a deep option. Never know which player is going to be on it. But just about when ever there is a multi WR set, there is 1 or 2 short routes, a deep route and a run option. Which is one reason GB does not run a lot of audibles (changing play) instead they just check to one of the other options.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
cuqui
14 years ago
In 2007, Brent was the master of checking off to other plays. 17 completions of 40 yards of greater, wow. The thing is that you can see Aaron mastering this offense, and given both his physical tools (arm, ability to extend a play) and the set of receivers the Packers have, I can see him lighting it up in this scheme for several years. Now, let's get Finley going too!
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
There is a certain irony to the fact that The Predecessor, most famous for his gunslinging ways and downfield bombs, in fact averaged far fewer per season than Rodgers has thus far.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (22h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.