Zero2Cool
15 years ago

[align=center]Jermichael Finley | Tight End | Texas | 6'4" - 243 lbs.
[/align]

OVERVIEW
Finley, a third-year sophomore who opted to enter the NFL Draft a year early, is one of the more athletic pass catchers at his position

"The NFL is every football player's dream, and when my NFL grade came back, it was encouraging, and I felt like it was in my best interest to enter the draft," Finley said. "I've worked really hard for three years at Texas to prepare for this, and I think I'm ready for the challenge."

"Jermichael is a great kid who has worked hard to improve in each of his three years with us," Texas head coach Mack Brown said. "He finished his career ranked among the most productive receiving tight ends in school history and handled himself well both on and off the field during his time at Texas. He's leaving in good academic standing, and we hope he will come back to finish his degree in the future. We thank him, support him and look forward to following him in the NFL."

Known for his athleticism, Finley almost enrolled at the University of Arizona coming out of high school. UA was the only school to offer him a dual scholarship, hoping to entice him to the university to play both football and basketball.

At Diboll High School, Finley was a four-year starter at tight end and also played defensive end, wide receiver, safety, punter and kicker. He owns the school career records with 316 receptions, 30 touchdown catches and 2,217 receiving yards. He also punted for a 37.9-yard average, kicked off and played an average of 101 snaps per game. He was named District Offensive Player of the Year in football and District MVP in basketball as a sophomore, averaging 24 points and 20 rebounds as a senior for the hoops squad.

Finley arrived at the University of Texas weighing 205 pounds in 2005, spending the season on the scout team. He learned the techniques of playing tight end under the tutelage of former All-Big Twelve Conference selection and current New England Patriot David Thomas. Finley, who now wears Thomas' old jersey #16, put those lessons to use as a redshirt freshman in 2006 and establishing himself as a Mackey Award candidate in 2007.

In 2006, he earned Freshman All-American honors, starting four of 13 games. He finished his first season as the most productive freshman tight end in UT history by posting 31 catches for 372 yards (12.0 avg) and three touchdowns, which are all tops on the Longhorns' freshman tight end charts.

Finley received All-Big Twelve honorable mention as a sophomore in 2007. He ranked third on the team with 45 receptions for 575 yards (12.8 avg) and two scores. His 45 grabs are the second-best season total by a Texas tight end and his 575 yards rank third on that tight end chart. He also recovered a fumble for a score and recorded a solo tackle.

In 26 games at Texas, Finley started 17 contests. He ranks fourth on the school's career-record list for tight ends with 76 receptions and sixth with 947 yards (12.5 avg), as he came up with five touchdown catches and another score on a fumble recovery.

CAREER NOTES
Ranks fourth on the school tight end record list with 76 receptions, topped by David Thomas (98, 2002-05), Pat Fitzgerald (80, 1994-96) and Bo Scaife (75, 1999, 2001, '03-04)...His 947 yards receiving placed him sixth on the UT tight end career-record list behind David Thomas (1,367), Pat Fitzgerald (1,106), Lawrence Sampleton (1,071 yards, 1978-81), Bo Scaife (997) and Kerry Cash (979, 1987-90)...His 45 receptions in 2007 are topped only by David Thomas (50 in 2005) on the school season-record list for tight ends...His 575 yards gained receiving in 2007 rank third among tight ends on the Texas annual record list, surpassed by William Harris (637 in 1984) and David Thomas (613 in 2005)...His 58-yard reception vs. Oklahoma in 2007 was the seventh-longest catch in Texas annals by a tight end and the longest since David Thomas scored on a 60-yard grab vs. Texas A&M in 2003...In the 2007 Oklahoma clash, he became the first tight end in school history to record a pair of 50-yard catches in the same game...Set a school game-record for tight ends with his 149 yards gained vs. Oklahoma in 2007, topping the old mark of 126 yards by Randy Peschel vs. Rice in 1967.

2007 SEASON
All-Big Twelve Conference first-team choice by The NFL Draft Report, earning honorable mention from the league's coaches...Started all thirteen games at tight end, ranking third on the team with 45 receptions, the second-best season total by a Texas tight end... Gained 575 yards (12.8 avg), the third-highest season total by a UT tight end, as two of his grabs produced touchdowns...Also recovered a fumble in the end zone for a score and recorded two tackles...Caught at least one pass in twelve games, as he also helped Texas average 462.0 yards of total offense (13th NCAA), 199.8 yards rushing (25th NCAA) and 36.0 points per game (19th NCAA)...Member of UT's Athletics Director's Honor Roll.

2006 SEASON
Named the team's Outstanding Newcomer (offense)...Played in thirteen games, starting vs. Rice, Oklahoma, Baylor and Oklahoma State...Earned UT Academic Director's Honor Roll recognition...Ranked fourth on the team with 31 receptions, the fifth-best season total by a Texas tight end...Gained 372 yards receiving (12.0 avg) with three touchdowns.

2005 SEASON
Redshirted as a freshman.

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
4.76 in the 40-yard dash...350-pound bench press...29-inch vertical jump.

COMBINE AGILITY TESTS
4.82 in the 40-yard dash...Bench pressed 225 pounds 20 times...27.5-inch vertical jump...9'8" broad jump.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Diboll (Tex.) High School, playing football for head coach Finis Vanover...Four-year starter at tight end and also played defensive end, wide receiver, safety, punter and kicker...Owns the school career records with 316 receptions, 30 touchdown catches and 2,217 receiving yards...Also punted for a 37.9-yard average, kicked off and played an average of 101 snaps per game...Named District Offensive Player of the Year in football and District MVP in basketball as a sophomore, averaging 24 points and 20 rebounds as a senior for the hoops squad.

PERSONAL
Education major...Two-time member of UT's Athletic Director's Honor Roll...Born 3/26/87 in Lufkin, Texas...Resides in Diboll, Texas.

UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
15 years ago

TE Finley's Athleticism Intrigues Packers

Tight end Jermichael Finley is young, having spent just three seasons at the University of Texas, including one as a redshirt.

But the athletic ability he displays for such a young player is intriguing to the Packers, who chose him in the third round of the NFL Draft on Sunday, the 91st overall selection.

"When you start watching guys, obviously you look for things you can't coach, and I think he has a few of those qualities," tight ends coach Ben McAdoo said. "He's someone who was intriguing the minute you turned the tape on."

McAdoo said he first watched film of Finley in the week leading up to the scouting combine in late February, and the Packers showed interest in Finley from that point on, according to several media reports.

Offered scholarships in both football and basketball at Arizona, Finley decided to go to Texas and concentrate on football with the goal of making it to the pros.

"He's a very smooth, gifted athlete," McAdoo said. "With his youth I think his best days are ahead of him and I think he can really develop into a good player in this league."

Finley, who has two young children, said his decision to enter the draft early was simply because he's ready for the next challenge in his life.

The biggest of those on the field will probably be his run blocking. At 6-foot-4 and just 243 pounds, Finley grades himself just a B-minus as a blocker. That's likely the area he'll have to focus on the most as he battles Tory Humphrey for the No. 2 tight end spot behind starter Donald Lee.

"I need to work on the run game," Finley admitted. "When I get there, I'm going to bust my butt to do what I need to do."

McAdoo feels Finley, who already bulked up significantly in college, can add more size to his 6-4 frame. But in the meantime he sees the right attitude when it comes to doing a tight end's dirty work.

"He's got some scrappiness to him and I like that about him," McAdoo said. "They don't get a bunch of time to work on developing skills like we do at this level, ... but I like what I see as far as willing to put his face in there and scrap with some pretty good defensive ends and linebackers in the Big 12."

Those defenders certainly had trouble staying with him in the passing game. In two seasons, Finley caught 76 passes for 947 yards and five TDs. His biggest game came last October against Oklahoma, when he caught two passes for longer than 50 yards and finished the game with four catches for 149 yards and a 22-yard TD.

Seeing those kinds of plays alleviated any concern about less-than-optimal 40-yard dash times at the combine (4.82) and his pro day (4.76).

"I saw him run at Indy and it surprised me he didn't run a better time because he plays a lot faster than that," McAdoo said. "The time didn't concern me. He ran better later on at his pro day, and I think his best days are ahead of him as far as his speed and his explosiveness. I think he's going to improve that as he goes, and you see that by how he plays the game, not necessarily how he runs a 40 per se."

UserPostedImage
Green-Liljan
15 years ago
I love this pick, and I hoped the Pack would take Finley back in January. the kid is riduculously athletic and has very soft hands. He has good inicial quickness and is good at exploding off the line. His 40-time is a mirage, he is much quicker than what it showed, (4.82). Some people may be discouraged by his 40 time, but remember Clowney had a great 40 time while James Jones had a slow 40 time, yet Clowney was cut and James Jones became the number 3 WR last year.

Only downside to Finley iis his smaller build and poor blocking. Thankfully these two problems are both fixable, and finley should bulk up by the begining of the season. Also he's a smart kid and will be able to pick-up on blocking, especially after he bulks up.

All in all this is a great pick, Finley should be a weapon for the packers, and a reliable receivor for A. Rodgers. In a few years Finley should become an all around tight-end, and will become an intrical part of the Packers organization
blank
Zero2Cool
15 years ago
I think he's going to be a good guy to stretch the field for Aaron.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
15 years ago
I think Finley has had an up and down season. I really still haven't forgiven him for all the loudmouth quotes he's supplied this season. But his play IS steadily developing, and hopefully he'll mature, surrounded by high class guys like Driver and Jennings and he'll develop into a formidable TE down the line.
blank
go.pack.go.
15 years ago
Yes, I think he will be a force to be reckoned with when he gets a few years into the league. He's got pretty good speed, and he's big. He's pretty good on fade routes in the red zone, too. He can be the stretch the field TE while Donald Lee is the big bruising over-the-middle TE.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.