14 years ago
"much" less? not that much, dude.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

bozz_2006
14 years ago
Considering it's the first game, and the first two or three games of the year usually tend to be sloppy, I think it's less. We'll see how much less, but I think it will prove to be significantly less when the games have all been played.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
and there should have been at least one fewer penalty against us, but i won't go into that too much, since that thread has already been locked. so if my math is correct, 5 penalties per game is about 27% less than the 6.whatever average from last year. I'd say that's significant.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago
Very good article, porky. Unlike you, I feel good about the next two games, though. I think the Vikings have a much better chance of getting tripped up, with a road game in Detroit followed by a game against San Francisco.

What I like about the Packer defense is that they bring pressure from so many places that they don't seem as susceptible to getting worn out late in games (or late in the season). And with Raji, we'll have a very solid DL rotation. There were some posters (I can't remember which ones) who criticized the Sanders defense for wearing out the D-linemen because they had to generate almost all of the pass rush. Those people are looking pretty smart right now. This would be a good time for them to stand up and be counted (no imposters, please).
blank
nerdmann
14 years ago
I think the national stage might have effected Barbre this week. He held up well during the preseason. I look for him to bounce back and be a player from here on out.
Remember, anything can happen against the Bares. Plus there is the Marinelli factor.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
macbob
14 years ago

The difference between this young Packer team, compared to the last couple of years is that, even though they are young,most have been here for two or three years.

If possible, young but a lot more experinced at playing in prime time.

Every team has to have it grizzled old veterans to show the young guys how to win in these situations. The Packers have just enough scattered throughout their lineup to make it work.

Woodson, Harris, Pickett,Clifton, Donald Driver to name a few.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

The Journal Sentinel had a quote from Thompson about this the other day. The overall team age is young, but the starters are toward the top of the league in age (though a lot of that is due to Woodson/Harris).

"I will say this, I'm sitting here looking at (the Packers' internal list) of opening-day rosters, and the youngest is 26.2, which we have, and the highest is 28. That's the 53-man roster," Thompson said. "If you go with average age of starters, ours is 28.4, which is the eighth-oldest in the league. On defense we're 29.1, which is third-oldest."

The JS went on to look at the number of players over 30:

"The Packers have the fewest players 30 and older (four). Of the league's 31 other teams, 18 (42%) have double-digit numbers of players over 30. The league average is 10.6."

So based on the stats it looks like our starters are getting up there in experience, but with most of them still in their prime (under 30).
UserPostedImage
cuqui
14 years ago
Great article, porky, many thanks.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I see your point about the next two games. I'm confident it's accurate to say that Steven Jackson is better than Matt Forte. I know who I'd take between the two, Jackson.
UserPostedImage
tromadz
14 years ago
Porky is a fine writer.
Users browsing this topic
    Fan Shout
    dfosterf (3h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
    dfosterf (4h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
    dfosterf (19h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
    dfosterf (19h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
    beast (20h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
    dfosterf (20h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
    Zero2Cool (21h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
    Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
    Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
    Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
    Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
    Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
    Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
    beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
    Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
    dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
    Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
    Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
    dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
    Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
    dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
    Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
    dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
    Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
    Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
    Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
    beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
    beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
    Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
    buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
    Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
    Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
    Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
    Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
    Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.