Pack93z
14 years ago

[violating all rules regarding wanton acts of utililization of the Lord's name in vain, etc]

In the name of the father, son, holy ghost/spirit (select one)--please let that team be the Green Bay Packers, amen.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Runyan has one more visit to make 

This would be fine as well.. maybe even a step up in run blocking from the past of Tauscher.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago
I was pretty calm until I popped open this article and that wave of "pissedoffness" from the past three years watching this up and down play of this offensive line continue month after month.. sooner or freaking later you stop pointing at the players and you turn your freaking wrath towards the coaching staff.

How many freaking times are they going to prance this shit in front of us.. fix the freaking issue or get a offensive line coaching staff that can. Period.

Ever feel like they are hitting us over the head with a plastic baseball bat.. damn it hurts to hear this crap.

Maybe we should have pitched them with the defensive staff last winter.

Fundamentals 

Green Bay If you had a dj vu moment this week listening to the Green Bay Packers coaches talk about some of the failures that occurred on the offensive line in the season opener, you're not imagining things.

"We did a good job picking things up, making the proper calls, but we just flat out lost some one-on-one situations that occurred and resulted in quarterback hits and sacks," coach Mike McCarthy said of his line's performance.

"I think it was just fundamentals," offensive line coach James Campen added.

Those were comments both men made after the season opener against Philadelphia on Sept. 9, 2007. The Packers won, 16-13, but they allowed quarterback Brett Favre to get hit 11 times, including four sacks for a total of 37 yards.

In almost a carbon copy of that game, the Packers pulled out a squeaker against the Chicago Bears, 21-15, but they allowed quarterback Aaron Rodgers to get hit nine times, including four sacks for 34 yards.

Once again, McCarthy, Campen and offensive coordinator Joe Philbin were OK with the way assignments were handled but frustrated with the number of times their quarterback got hit. They pointed to poor fundamentals as the sickness running through their starting five.

"We expect more," Philbin said Thursday.

Why exactly the line has struggled so badly coming out of the gate two of the last three years might have something to do with the pressure defenses the Packers faced. Or it might be something else. The only thing that really matters is whether they do something about it.

In '07, Favre was sacked only 11 more times during the regular season and the offense finished ranked No. 2 in the league as the Packers went all the way to the NFC Championship Game. It helped that the line was fairly static throughout the season, especially at center and the two tackle positions.

This week, McCarthy and his staff have been reserved in their criticism of individuals on the offensive line such as right tackle Allen Barbre, who gave up two sacks and two quarterback knockdowns against the Bears. But they haven't necessarily been soft-shoeing it around the linemen as Campen's prolonged outburst during practice Thursday can attest.

"It was all fundamentals," guard Daryn Colledge said earlier this week. "Schematically, we all knew what we were doing; we were on the same page. It was one guy breaking down fundamentally. I had a play and (Jason) Spitz had a play and Chad (Clifton) a play. Everybody had a play they wanted back.

"We just have to fundamentally get back to the offense we were in the preseason and play with a swagger and confidence that we know we had. The Bears are done; we're on to Cincinnati."

To complicate matters, Colledge suffered a foot sprain during practice Thursday and spent the afternoon being evaluated by the medical staff. It's too early to tell whether he'll miss the Bengals game Sunday, although McCarthy said it definitely wasn't a Lisfranc injury, which can sideline players for an entire season.

If Colledge can't play, rookie T.J. Lang could fill in or McCarthy could move Spitz from center to left guard and insert Scott Wells at center.

At this point, however, the biggest concern is getting Barbre settled at the right tackle position and making sure everyone else cleans up their act. Barbre was back at his starting job in practice this week and vowed that he would put the poor performance against the Bears behind him.

"I don't think I've lost confidence in myself," Barbre said. "I just had to go out there, study film and fix a few technique things and go out there and play. I feel fine and I'm ready to go."

Barbre, who had a miserable time blocking Bears end Adewale Ogunleye, said it was apparent on film what he was doing wrong and how he needed to fix it. Ogunleye beat him around the corner, beat him with a "club" move and took advantage every time Barbre's footwork got sloppy.

Though he rebounded and played better in the second half, Barbre understands he has to clean things up or be at risk for another bad day. He said straightening out his kick step coming out of his stance so that he stays square is the major adjustment he must make.

"I'm looking forward to getting out there and showing what I can do," Barbre said. "Just prove to them that I can do it and leave no doubt. That's where I'm at right now."

Barbre's task won't be easy. The Bengals are another pressure defense with a solid left end that will be a challenge to block. Robert Geathers is a grizzled veteran who two years ago had 10 sacks, and he'll work together with tackle Domata Peko to try to take advantage of what the Bengals probably view as a weak spot.

How much help the Packers give Barbre remains to be seen.

"We have to be ready for anything," Philbin said. "It wasn't just him. There were a couple times (it was others). There are other areas we have to be concerned about. It's a possibility (Barbre will be tested). You can't rule it out."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
14 years ago

How much help the Packers give Barbre remains to be seen.

If I were coaching, I'd start off with help and lessen the help if Barbre shows he doesn't need it.

This is the thing - QBs don't like taking hits. Aaron looked pretty bad out there until he got a little bit more time. He was shaky.

I want to start with real drives, and sacks are more often than not drive killers. I'd rather play it safe than allow sacks early on in the game.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
14 years ago
Barbre needs to step it up, but thinking about it more, I can see why they blamed the whole O-line and not just him. Rodgers needs to have a pocket to step up into if a speed rusher takes it deep outside the tackle. He didn't seem able to, or willing to. Could've been a combination of inside blitzes with a deep outside pass rush by Ogunleye. I don't know for sure because I didn't focus on it.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago

Barbre needs to step it up, but thinking about it more, I can see why they blamed the whole O-line and not just him. Rodgers needs to have a pocket to step up into if a speed rusher takes it deep outside the tackle. He didn't seem able to, or willing to. Could've been a combination of inside blitzes with a deep outside pass rush by Ogunleye. I don't know for sure because I didn't focus on it.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I saw that in a fair proportion of the time, Aaron's 5 or 7 step drop was right in the path of Ogunleye. There was at least on 1 occasion I saw that Rodgers could have stepped up into the pocket but shuffled around aimlessly and moved nowhere.
blank
dyeah_gb
14 years ago
Another reason to start off with support for Barbre is to set the tone for the offensive game plan; Indicate that we are starting off more conservative. Keep the FB or TE as support for an additional chip or block and then run out for a screen if there is time.

Then in the second half, spread out the offense a bit more if the RT spot is doing well.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - R. Feynman
Greg C.
14 years ago
I've been really pleased with the lack of panic out there among fans, considering how poorly Barbre played. I don't think anyone on this thread has yet suggested that he be cut or benched. Maybe it's because the hardcore anti-Thompson folks have all pretty much shot their way out of town by this point.

Anyway, there's no denying that it was a horrendous performance, among the worst I've ever seen by an O-lineman. The coaches are being kind when they say it was the whole line. I watched the game again on tape, and Barbre's performance was even worse than it looked the first time. He got blown up on almost every pass play. The only reason he did not look as bad in the second half is that the Packers did not have the ball much, and when they did, they ran the ball more and threw more short passes. The only thing I can say in Barbe's defense is that his run blocking was okay. Not great, but okay.

I look for him to bounce back this week against the Bengals. If not, they need to go to plan B, whatever that is. Giacomini, I guess.

I agree with pack93z that all of the explanations from the coaching staff about poor line play are getting old.
blank
14 years ago
look...way i see it is this: there's no WAY that it could be as bad as last week. there's no WAY the kid, the team, the coaches haven't focused like motherfuckers on this problem all week. it'll be better. i just have a feeling.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Pack93z
14 years ago
First step is the greatest.. ;)

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090917/PKR01/90917168/1058 

Ive licked my wounds, and Ive moved on, he said.

Ogunleye mostly beat Barbre with speed rushes around the corner, though he also bowled him over once. Barbre said his biggest problem was not making a hard enough kick-step back on his first move in pass protection.

Just not kicking, giving him a soft shoulder, a soft edge, dropping my back foot, Barbre said. Just keeping it square, kicking it vertical, that stuff wont happen.

dfosterf
14 years ago
There are so many optimists here, and I can respect and appreciate that. I want to be one of them. I really do. That performance was so disgustingly bad (Twinkie hit it quite well, imo--see, Twinkie, sometimes I DO respect the appropriate use of extreme profanity when it is also eloquent :thumbleft: )

I fear the extreme downside of being wrong about continuing to allow for the growing pains and development of young Barbre. As evidenced by what happened Sunday, it is obvious the coaches were wrong in their assessment of him as a starting RT as it pertained to that game. We had similar, but less extreme examples of this early last year.

At what point is it ok to say, enough is enough as a fan and become cynical as to what is being said contrasted to what is being done?

Never?

Yes, it is but one game. We not only want Allen to do well, but based on our current roster, we need him to do well. He is the (apparently) best option we have on this roster.

When Aaron Rodgers is being carted off in a stretcher, forgive me when I bring my certain brand of schadenfreude to this forum.

I welcome the same to be brought to bear when I am proven wrong. It will bring immense relief.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (7h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (14h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (15h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (15h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (18h) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (21h) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (21h) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (21h) : Against tbd
dfosterf (21h) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (21h) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (21h) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (21h) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (21h) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (21h) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (22h) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (22h) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (22h) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
dfosterf (25-Mar) : A major foul will be enforced on the offense if there are offsetting penalties in a change of possession situation
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Teams will receive a 3rd challenge if 1 was successful. Previously, it took 2
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

19h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.