buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Beast, everything you are writing IS YOUR OPINION, you have that right, TO STATE YOUR OPINION, I don't agree, that doesn't make you wrong it doesn't make me wrong.

Every GM has to play with the cards he is dealt, it is real obvious that MS had to deal with things differently than TT.

Sherman inherited a team which went 8-8 the year before and was stocked with veteran guys, for the next 5 years he tried to add pieces to the team to get them to the ultimate goal...The Superbowl.

He never reached his goal, but he did what he thought needed to be done.
That doesn't mean he sucked as GM, it means he tried what he thought was best for the team at that given moment.

TT's situation was completely different, had he taken over when MS did I am betting he would have handled it pretty much the same way.

That is why I argue that you cannot compare the two, because it was two completely different situations.

You don't agree, fine , no sense to continue arguing, because i don't agree with your stance.

I will agree to disagree and never mention it again.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
porky88
14 years ago
Sherman was a terrible GM. Not as bad as Matt Millen, but they weren't far off like some might think. Had Sherman taken over when Thompson had to take over, this team would be competing for last place.

Sherman benefited from Ron Wolf. That simple. Wolf had a ton of players that were still on the team and entering the prime of their career when he stepped down and Sherman received his promotion. The entire offensive line, Brett Favre, Ahman Green, William Henderson, Donald Driver, Mike McKenzie, Darren Sharper, KGB, Bubba Franks, and the list goes on and on.

Most if not all of the good players under Mike Sherman were Ron Wolf holdovers. Sherman made some good calls like getting Aaron Kampman, Grady Jackson, and trading for Al Harris. So did Matt Millen like selecting Ernie Simms and Calvin Johnson.

As a Head Coach Sherman was average and his downfall was not putting a tighter leash on Favre. He gave that special treatment to him. Favre earned it, but that doesn't mean it was the right call. I actually see a lot of Sherman in Brad Childress and that could be a problem Minnesota has.

As a GM though, Sherman was not good at all and it's why Thompson had to replenish the roster like he did.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I like this comparison.

George Seifert has one of the highest winning percentages for a coach in the history of the NFL. He's up there and he has two Super Bowls yet he's not in the Hall of Fame and probably never will be.

Why?

Everyone knows Bill Walsh was the reason for their success and not Seifert who was terrible in Carolina.

Sherman is now struggling at Texas A&M. He can't build that program up.

My point is Ron Wolf was the reason for the early to mid 2000s Packers' success and not Mike Sherman. I credit Wolf and Favre more than anyone to why GB was good in the years prior to Thompson taking over.
beast
14 years ago

it means he tried what he thought was best for the team at that given moment.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Well what he did very dumb.... didn't add good depth and just over paid everyone.... and he put Packers between a rock and a hard place.... that' why he failed.... not because he did what he thought was best.... but his actions forced the Packers into a corner where they had no choice but to basically fire him as GM. He failed because he didn't do the job of a GM and stay with in the cap.... and he didn't add young.... That's GM 101 .... if he couldn't figure that out he's incredible dumb ..... first is why I'm sure he figured it out.... just couldn't do it.

because it was two completely different situations.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

ummm last time I checked the situation from 03 to 07 was about the same and they did different things....

I judge the team... and the team had no depth... and went over the cap... how isn't that failing? Honestly not spending more than your allowed is business 101.... Sherman failed because he could do that.... and he didn't had too much talent...

You keep wanting to make this about Thompson... I'm not saying much of anything about Thompson.....

my point is Sherman failed under his situation....... that's it.... and Thompson hasn't failed because he's not going close to the cap and he's adding talent and very good depth.

You just keep looking for a back door to get out of this.... it's point blank Sherman failed under his situation as GM.....
UserPostedImage
beast
14 years ago

Sherman was a terrible GM. Not as bad as Matt Millen, but they weren't far off like some might think. Had Sherman taken over when Thompson had to take over, this team would be competing for last place.

Sherman benefited from Ron Wolf. That simple. Wolf had a ton of players that were still on the team and entering the prime of their career when he stepped down and Sherman received his promotion. The entire offensive line, Brett Favre, Ahman Green, William Henderson, Donald Driver, Mike McKenzie, Darren Sharper, KGB, Bubba Franks, and the list goes on and on.

Most if not all of the good players under Mike Sherman were Ron Wolf holdovers. Sherman made some good calls like getting Aaron Kampman, Grady Jackson, and trading for Al Harris. So did Matt Millen like selecting Ernie Simms and Calvin Johnson.

As a Head Coach Sherman was average and his downfall was not putting a tighter leash on Favre. He gave that special treatment to him. Favre earned it, but that doesn't mean it was the right call. I actually see a lot of Sherman in Brad Childress and that could be a problem Minnesota has.

As a GM though, Sherman was not good at all and it's why Thompson had to replenish the roster like he did.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I like this comparison.

George Seifert has one of the highest winning percentages for a coach in the history of the NFL. He's up there and he has two Super Bowls yet he's not in the Hall of Fame and probably never will be.

Why?

Everyone knows Bill Walsh was the reason for their success and not Seifert who was terrible in Carolina.

Sherman is now struggling at Texas A&M. He can't build that program up.

My point is Ron Wolf was the reason for the early to mid 2000s Packers' success and not Mike Sherman. I credit Wolf and Favre more than anyone to why GB was good in the years prior to Thompson taking over.

"porky88" wrote:

+1 .... another example is Vince Lombardi........ bad maybe horrible GM and I would say he failed too as a GM just like Sherman. Both Lombardi and Sherman had GREAT GMs before them which they coached and got good records off of. Lombardi is one of if not the best coach ever and had some of the best records but still didn't do a good job as GM. Sherman is like Lombardi.... well other than Sherman was a worse coach...... it's hard for anybody to live up to Lombardi.

Just because they have a good record doesn't mean anything about there teams. And remember it takes 3 years to judge a draft.... so it sometimes takes 5 years to judge a GM.

Sherman failed as GM by going over the cap and by not adding talent.... it's that simple........
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Sherman netted Ahman Green, I will say that was very good. Fred Vinson for Ahman Green? I'll do that anyday.
UserPostedImage
beast
14 years ago

Sherman netted Ahman Green, I will say that was very good. Fred Vinson for Ahman Green? I'll do that anyday.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I think he also got Harris, Kampman, Davenport, Barnett, Williams and Wells. But these drafts are still pretty bad.

Also I know Sherman wasn't officially the GM for 2001 but Wolf said Sherman basically made the calls while he stayed as the officially GM to keep pressure off, in which I blame both of them. But if you look at there draft styles Wolf usually drafted 8 or more while Sherman usually drafted 6 so between Wolf's word and style of the draft I count 2001 as both of there draft.

he sure didn't like the 2nd round... he traded the 2nd round away a lot...

2004 - Green Bay Packers
Rd Sel # Player Position School
1 25 Ahmad Carroll CB Arkansas
3 70 Joey Thomas CB Montana State
3 72 Donnell Washington DT Clemson
3 87 B.J. Sander P Ohio State
6 179 Corey Williams DT Arkansas State
7 251 Scott Wells C Tennessee
2003 - Green Bay Packers
1 29 Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State
3 79 Kenny Peterson DE Ohio State
5 147 James Lee DT Oregon State
5 166 Hunter Hillenmeyer LB Vanderbilt
6 212 Brennan Curtin T Notre Dame
7 245 Chris Johnson DB Louisville
7 253 DeAndrew Rubin -- South Florida
7 256 Carl Ford WR Toledo
7 257 Steve Josue LB Carson-Newman
2002 - Green Bay Packers
1 20 Javon Walker WR Florida State
3 92 Marques Anderson SS UCLA
4 135 Najeh Davenport FB Miami (Fla.)
5 156 Aaron Kampman DE Iowa
5 164 Craig Nall QB Northwestern State-Louisiana
6 200 Mike Houghton G San Diego State
2001 - Green Bay Packers
1 10 Jamal Reynolds DE Florida State
2 41 Robert Ferguson WR Texas A&M
3 71 Bhawoh Jue SS Penn State
3 72 Torrance Marshall LB Oklahoma
4 105 Bill Ferrario G Wisconsin
6 198 David Martin TE Tennessee
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Damn Beast I guess your are just not going to drop it.

You say a GM's job is to stock a team with players and stay under the cap?

Doesn't matter if they win or lose as long as they stay under the cap and always have that "young potential".

Ok then Ted Thompson is the best ever.

IMHO a GM's job is to put a winning team on the field. A team can be loaded with all the potential in the world, if they can't win football games, it doesn't matter.

We disagree what a GM's job is. Nobody's right, nobody's wrong.

I 'll tell you one thing you will never hear from me, that is when TT's reign is over, you will never hear blame him for any of his predessecors problems or failures.

This whole thing started with your back-handed comment about Mike Sherman(along with favre bashing which is expected), it's been 5 years, it can't be Mike Shermans or Brett Favre fault anymore.

You say Ted Thompson has done a great job in you opinion.

I say this is the year that Ted Thompson is going to be judged on. No more excuses, no more scapegoats. Ted Thompson has made this his team, now let's see what they can do.

Believe me when I say this, I won't be the spouting off that this player sucks or Ted Thompson should have kept this guy instead of that guy, and I won't be the one calliing for his head if The Packers don't win this year.

THe Packer as an organization makes decisions, my opinion doesn't matter, nor does yours, but I seem to be able to move on, unlike you who always have to be right or always have to find someone else to blame for the shortcomings of The GM.HC, or team.

I'm done with this, mods you can delete if you want, obviously someone opinion is wrong if some on the forum don't agree.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
beast
14 years ago

Damn Beast I guess your are just not going to drop it.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

O snap... little Packers could be watching :cyclopsani: no need for that first word... and no I don't really care but someone might.

I'm just responding to your post... just like your doing to mine... so I guess you shouldn't be getting upset at me for something your also doing.

Doesn't matter if they win or lose as long as they stay under the cap and always have that "young potential".

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Yes it matters but that's a lot more on the coach than the GM... GM is a lot term thing... coach is more right now.

Ok then Ted Thompson is the best ever.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Ummm I don't think anyone but you is saying that....

This whole thing started with your back-handed comment about Mike Sherman(along with favre bashing which is expected), it's been 5 years, it can't be Mike Shermans or Brett Favre fault anymore.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Yeah I'm not blaming Sherman or Favre for the current..... your just making that up like saying Thompson is the best ever....

You say Ted Thompson has done a great job in you opinion.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

No he's doing a good job at getting Mike McCarthy young guys with potential and he's staying cap friendly where he can resign the players that are doing well. Something Sherman couldn't always do because he didn't have the cap room.

I say this is the year that Ted Thompson is going to be judged on. No more excuses, no more scapegoats. Ted Thompson has made this his team, now let's see what they can do.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

I don't understand why your saying no more scapegoating for Thompson when clearly you gave Sherman scapegoat over and over... saying he shouldn't of been offered the job and it was a different. I'm not the one making the scapegoats... you are....

Believe me when I say this, I won't be the spouting off that this player sucks or Ted Thompson should have kept this guy instead of that guy, and I won't be the one calliing for his head if The Packers don't win this year.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Well that's your choice... I'll be doing some of that stuff :thumbleft:

but I seem to be able to move on, unlike you who always have to be right or always have to find someone else to blame for the shortcomings of The GM.HC, or team.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Ummm nope now your just being a hypocrite....... what's the phase, it takes two to tango....... and your just as guilty as that as I am.... plus your complaining I haven't left it alone...... well nether have you..... so even more being a hypocrite. I'm not complaining about us talking about the issue.

Ummm I'm wrong a lot..... I have not problem being wrong... but I really don't think I am with Sherman failing as a GM.

Also you did blame GB management for giving Sherman the job..... so more being a hypocrite.

I really think you should stop blaming and attacking me for things we're both doing....
UserPostedImage
IronMan
14 years ago
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I'm pretty sure that was Ron Wolf too. I'm actually positive. Green was picked up in 2000 via that trade. Wolf left in 2001.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (now) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (39m) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (3h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (4h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (14h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (21h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (22h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (23h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.