Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Those who want to blast McCarthy I think are a little off right now. I say this because, what was wrong with our defense? It was vanilla and didn't give us the chance to get the ball back. Well, not the faith to do so even though we were in the top 3 in INT's last year. The defense was also a sieve when it mattered most.

Being an offensive coordinator for a team with a defense that can't stop anyone. I'd probably play conservatively as well and try to get 3 points on a 'safe' play instead of taking a risk of getting 7 points or nothing.

Weak defense when it matters most, a first year starting QB under a lot of scrutiny. I also think McCarthy played it safe trying to make Rodgers look better by not making him do 'a lot'.

Long story short, I think now that we have an alleged aggressive defense, QB with a year of starting under his belt, I'm willing to bet that McCarthy is willing to be more aggressive on his play calling.
UserPostedImage
beast
14 years ago

Gee if Mike Sherman failed, then Ted Thompson should not even be the GM.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

:magnifyglass: that makes no sense.... so since Sherman failed, Thompson shouldn't be a GM? That's pretty stupid since Thompson is doing well... unlike Sherman... who failed as GM.

but don't say he failed when his winning percntage was 2nd or 3rd best in Packer history.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Seriously you got to stop trying to control people.... you just don't understand the job of a GM do you? It's about improving the talent on the team..... not wins..... Sherman was a good coach but horrible GM who failed at GM because he didn't add as much talent as he lost.

The Packer organization failed when they gave MS the double duty of GM/HC.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

I agree.... but that doesn't give Sherman a free pass.... he failed as a GM because he sucked at keeping up the talent level up....

Wow, this Sherman bullshit again? Has it NOT been documented ENOUGH that Sherman inherited a deep roster built by Ron Wolf and rode those coat tails? Yes, it has. Sherman is so FIVE years ago.

Sherman didn't do a damn thing but ride Wolf's talent. He was a good offensive coach, that's it. This whole mention of Sherman makes me want to go and AGAIN prove all of this, but what's the point? Just like some morons hate for no reason, they will do the same with Ted and/or Sherman.

Ted is a better GM than Sherman, period.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I guess it hasn't because some people Sherman was a decent GM.... when really he was horrible. He killed the talent level and put the team over the cap.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
#1 Don't ever call me stupid.

#2, Z I agree the MS thing is old and over with, but every time someone tries to crown Ted Thompson as king of all GM's, they have to take a shot at Mike Sherman, when all the guy did was win when he was at Green Bay, and took on a double role when asked to.

Hell The Packer brass should have just gave Mike Holmgren the control he wanted and this would all be mute.

#3 Like it or not(right or wrong), Gm's, Hc's, players and teams are in the end judged by their W/L record.

#4 Most Every GM or HC fails sooner or later, that is why they get fired. That doesn't mean they sucked, it means someone higher up in the organization thinks it's time for a change.

Right now ,at this point in time,comparing the two, MS has a better record, that is what I meant when I said Ted Thompson shouldn't be GM. Have I cleared it up now?
Ted Thompson has built a great team, all kinds of potential, now is the time they have to prove it on the field, not on paper.

When they do that, then I will be there along with everyone else giving TT,MM and the whole team all the acaldes they deserve.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
14 years ago

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

why not, stupid?

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Zero2Cool
14 years ago

#2, Z I agree the MS thing is old and over with, but every time someone tries to crown Ted Thompson as king of all GM's, they have to take a shot at Mike Sherman, when all the guy did was win when he was at Green Bay, and took on a double role when asked to.

Hell The Packer brass should have just gave Mike Holmgren the control he wanted and this would all be mute.

#3 Like it or not(right or wrong), Gm's, Hc's, players and teams are in the end judged by their W/L record.

#4 Most Every GM or HC fails sooner or later, that is why they get fired. That doesn't mean they sucked, it means someone higher up in the organization thinks it's time for a change.

Right now ,at this point in time,comparing the two, MS has a better record, that is what I meant when I said Ted Thompson shouldn't be GM. Have I cleared it up now?

Ted Thompson has built a great team, all kinds of potential, now is the time they have to prove it on the field, not on paper.

When they do that, then I will be there along with everyone else giving Ted Thompson,Mike McCarthy and the whole team all the acaldes they deserve.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

1, I didn't call you stupid.
2, Huh?
3, No kidding! Wolf RETIRED. That implies he did a fair to good job at said position when it was handed over to the next GM, Sherman. Sherman was FIRED, that means he drove the car into a freaking wall and it needed ot be fixed. SO, yeah NO SHIT Thompson's record is going to be worse than Shermans. Sherman inherited a good team. Thompson inherited a MESS. What the truck is so complicated about understanding this simple concept?
4, Seriously, READ what I've said. And I'll repeat some of it again, this is the year it's time to put up or feel the heat. No more sugar coat excuses. And no, I don't give the staff a pass because we switched to a 3 - 4. If the coach didn't feel the current defense was good enough, he should have made the change sooner. So that's on his ass and does not count as a free pass.

Sherman should NOT be the GM, period. And IF you are thinking he should, then yes, I am calling you S T U P I D! 🙂 (heres hoping you dont think he should be GM lol)
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Just a little point. I don't know if it would've panned out if we had given GM rights to Holmgren. He got that in Seattle and failed there. There where actually quite a few calls for his head from the fanbase to not only take his GM powers away, but also fire him as the HC of the team.
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Z, I wasn't responding to your post, except for the part of agreeing with you about the MS thing being old. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Rockmolder, I tried to make the point of GM/HC not working earlier, it probably would have been Holmgren getting fired instead of Sherman had they let MH be GM/HC.

The point being it was a failed experiment, it just doesn't work, you can't sit in an office and negotiate with players and agents, then go out and try and coach those same players.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
dfosterf
14 years ago

Z, I wasn't responding to your post, except for the part of agreeing with you about the MS thing being old. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Rockmolder, I tried to make the point of GM/HC not working earlier, it probably would have been Holmgren getting fired instead of Sherman had they let MH be GM/HC.

The point being it was a failed experiment, it just doesn't work, you can't sit in an office and negotiate with players and agents, then go out and try and coach those same players.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

I agree with this. Combo GM and HC works rarely.

+1

I understood what you were trying to say...

Beast didn't call you stupid, btw. , imo...he was making a point about something said--not "a state of being"--- again, imo.

Twinkie--well, Twinkie is kinda "touched" if you know what I mean, lol

Zero- as noted, because you mentioned him he got a little mixed up on who is saying what to who...

or something... I am kinda stupid sometimes, so get easily confused :thumbleft: (Giving Vikesrule a little sig material)
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
Actually, I need to get Buckeye's back on this to some extent. This place has a strange inability to simply praise someone who they think is doing well - there always seems to be an associated insult to someone else.

I can buy that Sherman wasn't being asked to insert youth onto his roster - I think his pressure was to continually re-tool the team and ride Favre's prime years for all they were worth. I don't think he was great at it, but the records do indicate that he wasn't bad. He kept a high-performing squad together. Problem for him was that his high-performing squad aged quickly, and he wasn't up to the task of rebuilding.

So yeah, I agree with Buckeye. The same people who get cranky when someone takes a shot at one of Thompson's mis-steps (and he's made a few) have no problem doing the same thing to Sherman. It's a little silly, really. I'd say Shermy did a pretty decent job, given what I'd assume his objectives were, and I have yet to see a GM/Coach combo that really works. It was a bad idea, period. Meanwhile, Thompson has done a decent job considering what his objectives look to be.

Check it out - no collateral damage. :thumbleft:
blank
beast
14 years ago

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Ummm I don't think anyone called you stupid.... and you have no problem telling people when and where they can say things...

Beast didn't call you stupid, btw. , imo...he was making a point about something said--not "a state of being"--- again, imo.

"dfosterf" wrote:

Thanks for noticing what was really happened.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

For the record I'm not trying to crown Thompson as anything but Packers GM and much much better than Sherman... but that not because Thompson is the king of all GMs. It more because Sherman was horrible at restocking talent..... while Thompson has good at stocking talent.

And win isn't the only thing he did... he also wasted a lot of draft picks and money, while not getting new talent.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

That's not all they're judge by... they are also judged if they've done there job or not... and Sherman clearly didn't do a good job as GM because as GM he was suppose to get talent not waste draft picks and sending the Packers over the cap limit.

#4 Most Every GM or HC fails sooner or later, that is why they get fired. That doesn't mean they sucked, it means someone higher up in the organization thinks it's time for a change

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Well it was time for change because he put the Packers over the cap limit (aka failed) and the depth was horrible (aka failed). It's simple Sherman did a horrible job as GM of keeping the money in check and keeping talent on the roster other than the top which was from Wolf.

When they do that, then I will be there along with everyone else giving Ted Thompson,Mike McCarthy and the whole team all the acaldes they deserve.

"buckeyepackfan" wrote:

Well Thompson got voted GM of the year... but other than that what acaldes? I don't know of any... I do know Sherman did a horrible job as GM.... with going over the cap.... not keeping good depth....
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (11h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (11h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (11h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (14h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (15h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (17h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (18h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (23h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (23h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

13h / Random Babble / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.