Tezzy
14 years ago

Maybe someday he will get pissed enough at me, that he will hunt me down, kick my ass, and then start to play freaking ball like he has the potential too.. :lol:

"pack93z" wrote:

Make sure Barnett is videotaping when that goes down so we can all see it. Because of Hawk's start to his career I have the same concerns about Matthews coming from the stacked USC defense he was on. It's great being able to argue depth at a position instead of just cursing the weakness of a position.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Tezzy
14 years ago

doesn't Hawk wear the headset on our defense? i doubt the coaches would have him wear it all offseason just to bench him come game time.

"millertime" wrote:

Hasn't Barnett usually taken that responsibility? I don't see why he wouldn't be able to take that back over when he is starting again.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Pack93z
14 years ago

Maybe someday he will get pissed enough at me, that he will hunt me down, kick my ass, and then start to play freaking ball like he has the potential too.. :lol:

"Tezzy" wrote:

Make sure Barnett is videotaping when that goes down so we can all see it. Because of Hawk's start to his career I have the same concerns about Matthews coming from the stacked USC defense he was on. It's great being able to argue depth at a position instead of just cursing the weakness of a position.

"pack93z" wrote:

Yes complaining the a solid NFL pro will be off the field because we have a better option on plays is a nice position to be in.. lol.

Now on this video taping thing... I have about 60 pounds, about 3 or 4 inches in height, and at least 6 or 7 inches in reach.. no idea what he benches these days.. so I couldn't say.. but I wouldn't put my money on me.. lol.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
gbguy20
14 years ago

doesn't Hawk wear the headset on our defense? i doubt the coaches would have him wear it all offseason just to bench him come game time.

"millertime" wrote:

only in place of barnett...
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
I sure am glad thr regular season will be starting soon, then these writers will have something other than speculation to write about.

AJ Hawk played through a groin injury last year, then when Barnett went down he was switched to a position he had never played. There are reasons that have slowed him in his progress that he could not control.

I am just real tired of hearing these rumors and speculations, let's get to the real thing and see what happens.

Running the 3-4 there is plenty of room for a lot of LB's to see a lot of action.

I am betting AJ Hawk will get his fair share of action and will not dissapoint.
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Kingdom22
14 years ago
Would hate to see Hawk lose some snaps because that guy is a beast of a tackler. He does have issues covering TE's but the guy can play otherwise. Specially running plays we can use him.
blank
gen60
14 years ago
I hope it was the injury he had to play with last year and not the fact that he has plateaued.

Hopefully not playing all downs will have him well rested so he can at least replicate what he did during his rookie season.
blank
dfosterf
14 years ago

I'm not down on him like you

"pack93z" wrote:

I have tried to say this.. it isn't that I think he isn't a solid player.. it is that my expectations for Hawk coming out of OSU were higher than what he has achieved.

Hawk in college read the play and attacked it.. Hawk here as we have said many a time is slow to read the play and is reacting a couple beats late. Last year I thought it was coaching.. but seeing Lananash and Bishop perform this (pre)season, I think I was in error on Moss.. albeit it didn't jump Hawks ass until the end of the season.

Solid player.. but the talent and instincts in college projected much more than he has achieved to current date. Maybe it was the vanilla college offenses he played against in college.. maybe he just can't handle the game here from the mental side.

"porky88" wrote:

Sorry for this lengthy quote, but I think it important for you to read this:

2009 profile; not listed under the defense (GBP official site) He is listed (this year) directly under Mike McCarthy in a separate category,

GBP- Winston Moss 

Winston Moss
Assistant Head Coach/Inside Linebackers

11th NFL Season
Fourth Packers Season

Entering his 22nd season in the National Football League and fourth with the Packers, Winston Moss begins his third year in the role of assistant head coach with inside linebacker responsibilities for the first time in '09.

Named to the current post by Head Coach Mike McCarthy on Jan. 15, 2007, Moss impressed McCarthy with his leadership skills when the two worked together for five seasons in New Orleans and again in 2006 in Green Bay. The 43-year-old Moss continues to coach the linebackers as well, his original duty upon joining the Packers. His position responsibility was modified to inside linebackers this year with the switch to a 3-4 defense and the addition of outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene to the staff in 2009.

In 2008, with the addition of free-agent signee Brandon Chillar and the continued development of Desmond Bishop, Moss had his deepest linebacking corps in Green Bay to date, and it was needed when veteran Nick Barnett was lost for the season to a knee injury in Week 10. A.J. Hawk made a rather seamless transition to middle linebacker to fill Barnett's spot, while Bishop and Chillar both contributed at Hawk's former weak-side position.

The previous year, Moss helped Barnett continue his progression from steady performer to true team leader with a Pro Bowl-caliber year. Barnett was named second-team All-Pro after leading the Packers in tackles for the fourth time in five seasons and posting a career-high 3 sacks along with two interceptions and numerous big plays late in games.

Meanwhile, Moss continues to develop the talented Hawk, who earned All-Rookie honors in 2006 when he led the team with 155 tackles. He's also overseen the maturation of Brady Poppinga through his conversion from a college defensive end into a solid strong-side linebacker, a responsibility that now falls to Greene in his new role.

Moss spent six seasons total with the Saints, where he also coached linebackers. Originally hired by the Saints in 2000 as defensive assistant/quality control, he was promoted to linebackers coach near the end of that season to replace John Bunting, who departed to become head coach at the University of North Carolina.

Moss began his coaching career in 1998 as a defensive quality control assistant for the Seattle Seahawks, the club where he played his final NFL season.

A veteran of 11 seasons and 155 NFL games (146 starts), the former linebacker played for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1987-90) and the Los Angeles Raiders (1991-94), in addition to the Seahawks (1995-97). Over the course of his career, Moss recorded 768 tackles, 20 sacks and six interceptions, and recovered one fumble for a TD.

In 1993, when he led the Raiders in tackles on a team that advanced to the AFC Divisional playoffs, he earned the Ed Block Courage Award after a vote of his teammates. Moss also was a three-time defensive captain and received the 1996 NFL Players Association Unsung Hero Award while with the Seahawks.

A four-time letterman at the University of Miami (Fla.), he and current Packers scout Alonzo Highsmith helped the Hurricanes to the national championship after the 1983 season under Howard Schnellenberger.

As a prep, Moss attended Miami (Fla.) Southridge High School and was an all-state linebacker.

Born in Miami, Fla., Winston and his wife, Zoila, have three sons, Winston Jr., 15, Robert, 10, and Marcus, 7, and two daughters, Victoria, 14, and Isabella, 1. In his spare time, Moss enjoys spending time with his family and playing golf.

I'm not being a smart-ass, but I still (honestly) wonder (honestly) what the hell Moss does. I know what it says he does...I wonder if he does what it says he does.

honestly :thumbleft:
xavierlee9
14 years ago
I always thought we should have taken Ernie Sims instead. Maybe that's just the FSU fan in me talking...But I think Hawk was hyped up because he was from OSU..I don't think he was ever a true top 5 caliber guy. A solid player in the league sure..And hopefully Don can get the absolute best out of him.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I always thought we should have taken Ernie Sims instead. Maybe that's just the FSU fan in me talking...But I think Hawk was hyped up because he was from OSU..I don't think he was ever a true top 5 caliber guy. A solid player in the league sure..And hopefully Don can get the absolute best out of him.

"xavierlee9" wrote:

I think that he was worth that pick. He was the 'safest guy early on in the draft'. He's still a very solid player who could start on a whole lot of teams. It just seems that he has hit his ceiling way too early. Or that the ceiling has even been lowered, somehow, since his first year. I hope that he'll get fired up in this new scheme, taking on blockers, getting them out of the way, funneling them to Nick Barnett. Although that will most likely mean that he'll still be blamed for his lack of tackles and productivity. He's really not that bad.

[youtube]v_8YE-qbgL0[/youtube]
Fan Shout
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

19-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.