Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I like this kid if he can figure out the hand fighting/locked up combat side of the game.. last year he seemed to get "swallowed" up at the point of attack.. like he couldn't adjust properly to the initial contact..

Source of Course... 

Green Bay Jeremy Thompson knows that most people consider him the underdog.

Thompson realizes he doesn't have the name recognition of his challenger. He doesn't carry the label of first-round draft pick. And at the end of the day, he might not be the people's choice either.

But Thompson is doing all he can to upset Clay Matthews and win a starting outside linebacker job for the Green Bay Packers.

"I know more people out there probably know about Clay than they do about me," Thompson said. "But I'm excited to show the fans I can play, and I'm even more excited to show my teammates the same thing. I want to show myself that I can play in the NFL, and I think it can work out."

The Packers sent a second-round draft pick and a pair of third rounders to New England for the 26th overall pick in April's draft and then selected Matthews. When a team gives up that much for a player, it usually throws him into the starting lineup from Day One.

But Thompson has done all he can to make the Packers' choice a difficult one. A little more than a week into training camp, the two had split the repetitions with the No. 1 defense and neither player had surged ahead.

Smart money is probably still on Matthews to emerge if he can remain healthy. But Thompson has made a smooth transition from defensive end, and it would be foolish to count him out.

The fact Thompson is even in the running qualifies as a major surprise. A fourth-round draft choice out of Wake Forest in 2008, Thompson had a non-descript rookie season. He played in nine games at defensive end, starting three, and finished with 13 tackles, no sacks, no interceptions, no fumble recoveries and no forced fumbles.

"Not good at all," Thompson said when describing his rookie season. "Of all the plays I got, I just didn't take advantage. I think I did some good things and showed some flashes, but it just wasn't up to my par."

But the Packers' switch to a 3-4 defense might prove to be a boost to Thompson's career.

Thompson played at 265 pounds last year and was an undersized end in a 4-3 base. Now, the 6-feet-4-inch Thompson is down to 255 pounds, has taken his body fat from 12% to 8.5% and has the ideal body type to play outside linebacker in this scheme.

"He's extremely athletic," Packer coach Mike McCarthy said earlier this offseason. "He's a natural pass rusher. His experience playing defensive end really will help him this year as it carries over to the outside linebacker position."

Thompson got an early leg up when Matthews was sidelined by a hamstring injury during workouts in June. But it's been back and forth between the two throughout training camp.

Thompson opened with the No. 1 defense for the first few practices, but Matthews stepped in when Thompson was sidelined with cramps in the third practice. Both players proceeded to get their share of work with the No. 1 defense until late last week when injuries struck.

Matthews re-aggravated his hamstring injury and was ruled out of last Saturday's intrasquad scrimmage, an event that was later cancelled due to inclement weather. Thompson missed time late last week with a groin injury but was cleared to play in the scrimmage and would have started.

"I just think it's going to be a great competition," Thompson said of his battle with Matthews. "I just have to make plays and eliminate mental errors. Just play good, smart football."

There have been times when left tackle Chad Clifton has downright owned Thompson. There have been others when Thompson's athleticism has sparkled, like the day last week when he jumped into the air to nearly intercept a Brian Brohm screen pass.

"I'm kind of a shy guy at first, and it takes a while for people to get to know me," Thompson said. "And last year was tough because the speed of the game is so much different, and that took me some time to adjust.

"But this year, I just think I came in so much more focused. I knew where I fit in the locker room and had my niche there. I've learned the defense as fast as I could and just tried to be aggressive. Right now, I just want to be physical, do my job and make plays."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago
For a guy who was as big as he was last year, he really seemed to miss the strength to go up against those big tackles as well. Together with what you just said, of course.

There's one big advantage to start with in this scheme. He should be able to completely avoid the tackle and go for the RB or maybe a TE when coming from behind a skilled D-lineman like Cullen Jenkins. With his weight loss and athleticism, he should be able to take a RB or TE on pretty easily.

Like you said, it's still a point of attack issue and I haven't seen a whole lot of tweets about him from the LB - RB rushing/blocking drills for instance.

Little off-topic, but the best performer in the LB - RB drills has been Chillar. Didn't see that one coming at all.
Dulak
14 years ago
I'm hoping this guy does well. I want our OLBers to get a ton of sacks this year. Make the opposing QB pay.
yooperfan
14 years ago
And he is more than likely out for Saturday nights game against Cleveland along with Mathews.
Not to worry though, Teddy signed a replacement named Stryker Sulak.
He is sure to be a diamond in the rough.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (13h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (14h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (15h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (17h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (17h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (20h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (21h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10m / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.