TheEngineer
14 years ago

I love what I do but I would never do it for free. I want fair market value for my services. 10 Million is fair market value for a hall of fame QB who may be the missing link to a teams quest for the holy grail. Actually, I think they are getting a pretty good deal. Favre made ten mill 3 years ago with the Packers.

"Trippster" wrote:

You know what, I agree. In retrospect it is probably fair market value for both the Vikings AND Favre.

Perhaps I was wrong in using my original wording because it implies that I have something against the deal itself, which isn't quite the case. My issue is with the contradiction in terms between what Favre wishes to do, and what Favre is being paid to do.

I feel it is misleading for Favre, or anyone, to say that Favre should play if he wants, because this needs to be qualified with the notion that a business deal was still made. We often ascribe emotional reactions regarding Favre, that he does or says things emotionally. Let us not forget that behind all the emotion is the price being paid for services rendered.
blank
Trippster
14 years ago

Well think of it this way if the Vikes would of gotten Brett under his old contract they would have had to pay him 13 million so yes 10 million is a deal. Hell it could be worse he could of gotten paid what Rodgers got paid last year for sitting on the bench for 3 years. $10 million for a Pro Bowl qb is pretty cheap i think.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I have a '95t Chrysler, it was once new, would you pay 15,000 for it?

I am curious to see how many make the connection here and realize how foolish your comment is. 🙂

Contracts are more so based on what you've done in the recent past linked to what you will do in the immediate future. Now, if anyone thinks that 22 TD's and 22 INT's is Pro Bowl worthy or that Brett's PLAY earned his spot there, you're sadly mistaken in my opinion.

Brett is an amazing talent, but he is no longer a "Pro Bowl" talent for 16 games in a season.

I do however think the 10 million is a fair price for both sides. Vikings always have to spend an extra dollar to convince players to wear those hideous uniforms right? lol

"dhazer" wrote:

I don't think that his comment was foolosh at all. I thnk your analogy is incorrect though. A car depreciates in value and pretty much has no chance of improving. However, I think a QB can and does improve.

Where Favres physical abilities may have diminshed somewhat (I am talking being able to move, I am not sure his velocity has lessened) but his mental aspect hs improved. (Calling the right play based on the defense etc.)

Favre quite simply would be an amazing addition to an already talented team. For those who think it won't make much of an improvement, there is where I think you (or whomever) are sadly mistaken.

And whether you think he should or should not have been on the pro bowl team is not the point, he was and therefore is a pro bowl player.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Cheesey
14 years ago
Heather......how can you say such an untrue thing about me? Have i not stated in almost ALL my Favre posts that i will always love Favre for what he did when he was here? Did i ever say he was a "traitor?" You can look through all my posts, but you will never find it.(Cause i never said it)
What i stated was the obvious (to all those that don't look through "Favre" colored glasses) He's NOT the same QB he was 10 years ago. He's NOT as good as he was. Is stating fact "bashing" in your eyes? Can you honestly say 22 TD's and 22 INT's are great numbers? Thats what he had last year you know. The man is OLD by NFL QB history. Stating that, is that bashing?

I have stated more times then you could count how much i STILL care about the guy. What i think is BS is his yearly "Gee, i don't know if i want to" stuff. If it happened for one or two years, no big deal. But for 5 or more years? For me at least, it got old. Has he the right to do that? Yup. Never said he didn't. And if there's a team wiling to go through that BS, thats their choice. But does that mean that if i don't agree with how BF handled it i'm a "basher?". So, my opinion means i HATE the guy? If i DARE to say anything thats not 100% for whatever the guy does i'm a bad guy?
Seems to me that in your eyes at least, the guy is incapable of doing ANYTHING wrong. I have yet to see you EVER disagree with what Favre does. He's ONLY a human being. Imperfect as all of us are. I don't understand why you label me a "basher" for stating how i feel about all this yearly routine. Have i ever said i want the guy to do bad? (I ONLY said that if he goes to the Vikings. And thats only because if the Vikings do well, that means my team, the Packers, don't do well.) You see, i have never hid my allegiance football wise. I am a PACKER fan first and foremost. So if ANY player i like goes to the Packers arch rival, i will not cheer them on to beat MY team. I am a Packer FANATIC. Does that make me a "Favre basher" in your eyes? If so, so be it. I'm 52 and have been a Packer fan all my life. I'm not going to change that because BF goes to the Vikings. I didn't do it when Darren Sharper went there, or Ryan Longwell. Both of them gave all they had when they played for us. Don't they deserve just as much "love" as BF? Did you cheer on Darren Sharper to have a bunch on interceptions against BF when the Vikings played us? If not, why not? Wasn't Sharper a 100% Green Bay Packer when he was here? Didn't he give everything he had for OUR team too? Do you think Eagles fans cheered on the Packers when Reggie White came here? Do you really believe they did???
Heck, i still have my Favre stuff all over the house. Right now, just where I'm sitting, i see 6 Favre McFarlanes i have on my wall. Out in the living room, i have a 18 x 20 poster of him, and a pic and envelope from his 400th TD pass.....and one of his pro bowl jerseys framed. Yeah.....I'm a "basher". Some people think if you say ANYTHING that could be seen as "negative" about someone you are "bashing" him.

I believe i look at thing fair and unbiased. If thats bashing, well, then i'm a basher i guess.

It's a shame that some on BOTH sides are incapable of doing that.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Oh....and as far as players playing for the love of the game. Yes, fact is, it's very rare.
All i have to say is ROBIN YOUNT.
He stayed with the Milwaukee Brewers for WAAAAY less money then he was offered by other teams. He could have rode off to another team and made millions more then he did here.
Robin Yount.
UserPostedImage
dhazer
  • dhazer
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
So did you cheer for Molly when he went to the Twins? I know i did and enjoyed watching him play, he collected his 3000th hit with the Twins and won a World Series with Toronto. Did you know he even played shortstop for the Brewers when Yount retired and then came back. Wait people aren't allowed to do that they should just stay retired.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dhazer
  • dhazer
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

I love what I do but I would never do it for free. I want fair market value for my services. 10 Million is fair market value for a hall of fame QB who may be the missing link to a teams quest for the holy grail. Actually, I think they are getting a pretty good deal. Favre made ten mill 3 years ago with the Packers.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

You know what, I agree. In retrospect it is probably fair market value for both the Vikings AND Favre.

Perhaps I was wrong in using my original wording because it implies that I have something against the deal itself, which isn't quite the case. My issue is with the contradiction in terms between what Favre wishes to do, and what Favre is being paid to do.

I feel it is misleading for Favre, or anyone, to say that Favre should play if he wants, because this needs to be qualified with the notion that a business deal was still made. We often ascribe emotional reactions regarding Favre, that he does or says things emotionally. Let us not forget that behind all the emotion is the price being paid for services rendered.

Ammo for you

"Trippster" wrote:

Vikings | Favre stalling for more guaranteed money?
Comment (0) Tweet me!
Sun, 26 Jul 2009 12:55:26 -0700

Charlie Walters, of The Pioneer Press, reports free-agent QB Brett Favre (Jets) could be stalling his decision to join the Minnesota Vikings because he is looking for more guaranteed money. Favre's contract is expected to be worth at least $10 million from Minnesota, but in what form will that money come?

Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

...I don't care how long he takes to make up his mind if he wants to play or retire. Thats a huge decision. How does it effect me if he doesn't make up his mind right away? It doesn't, so who gives a crap... Every player in the NFL takes that chance of getting hurt week to week no different for Favre...

"Heatherthepackgirl" wrote:

I agree.

*NOTE: The '...' represent snips.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Formo
14 years ago
I think the majority of the 'waffling' this year is mostly Cook's doing, as he's trying to get as much money as possible from the Vikings.

Agents are like slimy lawyers, IMO.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
14 years ago

So did you cheer for Molly when he went to the Twins? I know i did and enjoyed watching him play, he collected his 3000th hit with the Twins and won a World Series with Toronto. Did you know he even played shortstop for the Brewers when Yount retired and then came back. Wait people aren't allowed to do that they should just stay retired.

"dhazer" wrote:

Nope.
I didn't cheer for Molitor when he left here. Does that mean I "hate" him?
Was I happy for him when he got his 3000th hit, or won the world series? Yes.
But i don't follow the Twins or the Toronto Blue Jays, I'm a BREWERS fan.
I didn't watch any of the world series games Molitor was in. Doesn't mean i hate him or wish bad things for him. I just didn't care who won it if my team isn't in it.
Same with Favre. I don't hate him or wish him to get hurt. But do i want him to beat MY team? NOPE.
Last year i watched alitlle of the Jets games. But it didn't keep my interest for more then a few minutes. Why? Because i'm not a NY Jets fan. So does that mean i'm bashing BF, because i didn't follow his every move once he left Green Bay?
I'm still a fan of his, but not a "fanatic".
Truth is, it's ONLY football anyway. I don't even "hate" the Vikings. I enjoy the rivalry. But i want the Packers to beat them every time.
How does that make me a BF basher?
My life doesn't revolve around whether or not BF plays football or not. In fact it doesn't even revolve around the Packers.
But if i am forced to choose between rooting for the Packers or the Vikings (only because BF is there) guess which i pick?
Again, i ask, why didn't all of you jump on the Darren Sharper or Ryan Longwell bus when they left here? Didn't they work hard for the Packers? Didn't they win some games for us with their play?
But BF goes somewhere else, and i'm labeled a "basher" ONLY because i don't treat him like a god, and don't care what he does when he's on a different team.
I don't understand it at all.
It's ok for those that follow his every move, but because i don't, i'm a basher.
I have yet to get ANYONE that can explain that to me and make any sense at all.
If you want to follow the guy like a love sick puppy, i'm fine with that. But why am i labeled a basher for not doing that?
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
You know what.
I give up.
2 people who i love and respect label me a "basher" just because i don't gush over BF's every move.
I'm not even going to respond to this stuff anymore. I thought i stated my feelings and reasons quite well, but that doesn't seem to matter. I'll be labeled a hater anyway.
I'm not going to talk about the guy anymore. IT's not worth the stress.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (12h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.