dd80forever
14 years ago
My feelings exactly, Dave.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2009/07/02/sports/00myers.txt 

After listening to a seemingly endless barrage of opinions about Brett Favre and his apparent desire to play quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings, five things have become abundantly clear.

No. 1: Favre really wants to play. The fact hes willing to endure the never-ending parade of ESPN squatters/reporters living outside his home says as much about his determination as his willingness to undergo surgery.

No. 2: The Vikings really want Favre to play, too. Minnesota head coach Brad Childress realizes as well as anybody that at 39 years old or 59 years old, Favre is still better than what they have with the two-headed quarterbacking monster that is Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson. Childress also is smart enough to realize that much of his job security is tied to the performance of his quarterback. Given the recent performance of Minnesota QBs, if he doesnt land Favre, it might not be a bad idea for Childress to keep that North American Van Lines number handy.

And lets not forget Favres ability to sell a team jersey. Its hardly a coincidence that the Packers souvenir shop sales fell off by millions of dollars last year after their ugly divorce with Favre. You can imagine the Vikings would be very interested in cashing in on Favres ability to connect with consumers almost as much as his ability to connect with receivers.

Bottom line, if you can put butts in the seats and money in the till there is a spot for you on an NFL roster.

No. 3: The NFL would really like to see Favre in Minnesota. Not only would his playing for the Packers biggest rival create great storylines for the media to run with, it will help create great revenue streams for the league to run with.

In addition to selling tickets, Favre in purple will drive TV ratings locally and nationally which in turn drive advertising rates. And in the NFL as in most businesses the bottom line is the bottom line.

No. 4: There are plenty of reasons why Brett Favre should consider walking away from the NFL. First and foremost is his health.

As someone who has been 39 years old before himself, I can assure you at Favres age there are many things other than cereal that go snap, crackle, pop. In an ultraviolent game that is played at a dizzying speed, the physical limitations of an aging body are a very big deal, especially when the aging body in question is your own.

On a more positive note, hes already won a Super Bowl, was named league MVP three consecutive years and holds most of the NFLs significant passing records. In other words theres not a lot left to accomplish.

No. 5: Worrying about protecting his legacy isnt nor should it be a valid reason for Favre to stop playing the game he loves.

His legacy is just that. His. Its care or lack thereof is his business. Its not for snarky pundits (myself included), other players or fans to decide how Favre should protect our memories of his playing days.

There also has been a glaring lack of honesty in the discussion about his legacy. Those who claim to be concerned about how Favre is remembered in fact appear to be most concerned about having to see him play for the hated Vikings.

While the image of Favre as a Viking is understandably an upsetting one, the feelings those people are experiencing are anger and resentment and should not be confused with concern or a sense of caring, and frankly are beneath the great tradition of Green Bay Packers fans.

If Favre wants to continue his career and still has the ability to do so who among us has the chutzpa to say he shouldnt?

Truth be told, if seeing Favre play for Minnesota destroys our memories of his career, it says more about us than it does about him.
blank
IronMan
14 years ago
I'm predicting 200 replies before it is locked.
Rockmolder
14 years ago
That's a pretty good article, really. Only thing that I can say is that he could've played for the Jets instead of weezling his way out of his contract with them, so it's pretty obvious that he doesn't just want to play, but that he wants to play for the Vikings.

Again, I haven no problem with that, if that's what he wants to do, go ahead. Like the article states, it's his legacy, not ours. Although it is a shame that it has to end like this from a fans' perspective.
dd80forever
14 years ago

Although it is a shame that it has to end like this from a fans' perspective.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Yes but as the end of the article states

Truth be told, if seeing Favre play for Minnesota destroys our memories of his career, it says more about us than it does about him.

blank
DGB454
14 years ago
I'm far beyond caring what Favre does with his legacy. To each his own.
Do what you have to do and don't cry about it if it turns out bad or gloat if it turns out good. In the end he is just another cog in the machine.
dingus
14 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Which is one man's opinion,which is all any of this BS boils down to. If he plays, good luck to him, I'm a Green Bay Packers fan and he's no longer on the team.
blank
Cheesey
14 years ago

"dingus" wrote:

"dd80forever" wrote:

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Which is one man's opinion,which is all any of this BS boils down to. If he plays, good luck to him, I'm a Green Bay Packers fan and he's no longer on the team.

GREAT post Dingus!
I LOVE it when some guy writes something that supports ONE MAN'S view, and some make it like it's gospel. But when someone posts an article from the OTHER side, the same people will blast the writer, saying "What does HE know???"
Me, i don't give a rodent's rectum if BF plays for the Queens or not. If it was JUST that he wanted to play, he would have fought to stay in NY, right? After all, he had a year under his belt with them and SHOULD be able to play better then he did last year. But we ALL know that if we are honest, the MAIN reason he wants to play with Minn is to TRY to stick it to the Packers. I say.....bring it on! I hope he DOES play for them. I'd like to see him throw up some INT's to our DB's and LBs.
PLEASE play Brett!!!! PLEASE!!!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I want my stuff read, I know, I'll write about Brett Favre! Yay, call me creative an intuitive! Way to break the barriers of the unsead, chap.

BUT, I do agree, its his legacy, he can do as he pleases with it, after all, HE created it by himself.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
14 years ago
Me, i can forgive him for playing for the Queens. I STILL want to see the fences mended and him back here when his number is retired.
He's ONLY human.
Of course i hope we kick his wrinkly old butt!!!LOLOL!!!
UserPostedImage
Orygunfan76
14 years ago
Brent uh who.......Meh.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (10h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (11h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (13h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (14h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Around The NFL / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.