Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I was impressed with this.. respect meter risen for the two...

Source of Course... 

First page of pics.. 

Second Page of Pics.. 

Donald Driver didnt know what to expect when he agreed to accompany Green Bay Packers teammate Aaron Kampman on a trip to Africa in late February.

Check out over 100 photos from the trip in a first and second gallery.

The 10-day excursion included two nights in a dorm-like hotel in Mutomo, Kenya, with no air conditioning or ceiling fans. At least the players were provided with mosquito nets so they could sleep.

Theres no way you would be able to sleep without mosquitoes tearing you up, said Driver. You have bugs in your room that youve never seen in your life.

Driver spent part of his teen years in Houston living out of a U-Haul truck, but some of the conditions in Africa astounded even him.

It touched me, because Ive lived homeless before, but to that extent, no. Ive never lived like that, he said. I think that makes you appreciate the way you live. I didnt have any problems compared to what they have over there.

Why would two highly paid professional athletes, joined by their wives, spend their offseason free time walking through the slums of Nairobi, standing amid squalid conditions, witnessing the heartbreaking reality of a country stricken by hunger, an AIDS epidemic and an unsanitary water supply?

For Driver, who was reluctant when his wife, Betina, first suggested the trip, it was an eye-opening experience.

It changes your perspective on life, he said. It makes you appreciate what you have. You cant complain about the little things we complain about.

Driver and Kampman hope to encourage other NFL players to make similar trips to broaden their views of the world. They also feel compelled to reach out and help the less fortunate.

You get a different reality of the fact theres a lot of need in the world, said Kampman. Everyone can do this. It doesnt just have to be a professional athlete.

Where soccer rules

In Africa, where soccer dominates the sports scene, pro football players are rarely recognized.

You say football, they think youre a big soccer player, said Kampman.

Driver said only one man knew who he was during the trip.

He was like, I watch you all the time on TV, said Driver. You catch ball. "former QB", good player. You great player. I love you. Let me see (your) hands. Oh, big hands.

It was more touching that this one guy knew who I was out of millions and millions of people in Africa.

One of the most humorous moments occurred when the players spotted someone wearing a Frank Winters jersey.

Out of all the things, this guy riding a bike down on a dirt road and he has on a Frank Winters Green Bay Packer jersey, said Driver. I wish we could have stopped to take a picture. He probably didnt know who Frank Winters was.

While attending a church service in Nairobi they met a little girl wearing a Packers jersey. The players, with kids of their own, were clearly touched by the African children.

We go down the street and see this little girl sitting on the corner, recalled Driver. She waves. She looks just like my daughter.

Meeting youngsters

The players traveled 5 hours on dusty, bumpy roads from Nairobi to Mutomo and visited schools where poverty is the norm.

These kids sitting in their desks, no shoes on, they are dirty, going to school, said Driver. Their parents cant take care of them. Thats touching.

Makeshift soccer balls were made out of rolled up plastic bags strung together by twine. Kampman keeps one of them on his mantle as a memento.

When Kampman and Driver brought real soccer balls to one of the schools, it caused a delirious stampede.

Ill never forget it, said Kampman. Feet pitter pattering on dirt as fast as they could. It was pretty cool.

Kampman will also never forget, during his first trip to Africa last summer, holding AIDS infected twin babies that were the same age as his youngest son.

I dont have a problem telling you that hit me pretty hard, he said.

Kampman, who with his wife Linde also traveled to India in 2007, said its easy to feel overwhelmed by the enormous needs. So he is trying to take small steps to make a difference.

Every life has a story, he said. When you start to look at it that way, you say I dont care about the statistics. Its better than doing nothing. It beats the alternative of just Oh thats too big, Ill just go back to my life. Were made to give ourselves away.

The players participated in a tour sponsored by World Vision, which specializes in humanitarian aid, and also hooked up with Vapor Sports, a Christian organization that ministers to the poor in Africa.

Kampman and Driver plan to bring their children along on future trips.

We want to expose them to these realities so they dont grow up with just a local world view, said Kampman.

You cant come over and not get involved. When you touch and taste and smell and see, it makes a difference.

A bumpy ride

One part of the trip Driver said he could live without was the short airplane ride to the Masai Mara region of Kenya. Once there, the players enjoyed an awe-inspiring safari, including an up-close encounter with zebra-eating lions.

But getting there was the hard part.

We flew in this plane that I would never fly in again, Driver said. None of the seat belts functioned, and passengers were jostled about the plane, which landed on a dirt road.

Youre just all over the place, said Driver. I was sick going over and sick coming back. I think Id take a nine-hour drive (instead of) this 35-minute flight.

That was one of many uncomfortable moments, but Driver said he thanked his wife for talking him into going to Africa.

It was a great experience, he said. I wouldnt trade it for the world. I will go again.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I can imagine that it puts things in perspective. You're not the big guy you are over in the States. No one knows you and they live in crapholes, to put it crudely. Makes you think. At least, I can imagine it does.

I really like that they just went there. They had nothing to gain there. No fame, no income, they just went there to see how it was (with a little encouragement from their wives). Good job by both of them.
4PackGirl
14 years ago
favorite quote by far: "we're made to give ourselves away". what a great story! some great friends of mine travel to africa every 6 months doing mission work - mostly providing clean water supplies. i'm proud to say i know them & wish i had the guts to do it myself.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

favorite quote by far: "we're made to give ourselves away".

"4PackGirl" wrote:

I'm, ah, going to leave that one alone. :downtown:
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
14 years ago
perverts...every damn one of ya!!!
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago

"4PackGirl" wrote:

And a major reason you visit us so damn often. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
4PackGirl
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

And a major reason you visit us so damn often. ;)

"4PackGirl" wrote:

busted...again. 😞 :pottytrain2:
dhazer
14 years ago
It was a nice story but this kind of stuff actually pisses me off, you want to see kids suffering take a ride down to any ghetto in america. When i see these damn commercials on TV about donating money and sponsoring a kid from Africa, I want to throw something at the tv. Driver him self should know this stuff seeing he lived on the streets.

Ok i'm going to stop there its pissing me off even more to think about it.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
isocleas2
14 years ago
The fact that there is suffering occuring in America's cities doesn't take away from the equally noble cause of helping the less fortunate abroad. Who as Driver also acknowledged are suffering just as much if not much more so than America's needy.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (3h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (13h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (20h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (21h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (21h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.