Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

Rodgers focused on job at hand

Green Bay - In his first season as starting quarterback of the Green Bay Packers, Aaron Rodgers was merely asked to replace a legend.

No pressure.

For an encore this year, Rodgers likely will have to stare down the resuscitated gunslinger, Brett Favre, in the flesh and in the house he helped build. Oh, and Jay Cutler, who bears a striking resemblance to a young Favre in talent and mentality, has taken up residence in the NFC North with the Chicago Bears.

Talk about seeing ghosts. With Cutler and potentially Favre on teams making up a quarter of the schedule, Rodgers will bump into them if he's not looking straight ahead.

If Rodgers is going to have any jitters - which he exhibited on the practice field as the Favre situation came to a head last year in training camp - they aren't showing up yet. The adversity may be mounting, but Rodgers heads into Year 2 with his California cool still intact.

"You know what, I really don't get into that whole thing, I really don't," Rodgers said. "I'm so focused on what I'm doing, what our team is doing. I know we play the Bears twice a year, the Vikings twice a year and the Lions twice a year, but all that other stuff to me is stuff that sells papers, but I don't really get a rise out of it."

Of course, that won't stop the fans from chewing on it. And that will have ramifications if things don't go well for Rodgers and the Packers.

Last year, they did not.

After the Packers ultimately chose Rodgers over Favre, they went from 13-3 in 2007 to 6-10. In eight of those losses, the Packers either led or trailed in the fourth quarter by no more than a score.

Rodgers surely was not to blame. A completion percentage of 63.6, 4,038 passing yards and 28 touchdowns against 13 interceptions are impressive statistics, to be sure. But victories and losses are what matter most. And the Packers failed in that respect.

But where others see reason for worry, the Packers find optimism. Of course, they have no other choice, and that will not halt the chorus of doubters.

"There are always going to be distractions, we just have to manage them," Rodgers said. "We have so much talent in this room; the only thing that can stop us is ourselves. And we stopped ourselves way too many times last year. If we can limit the distractions, I think we're going to be in a position to make a big run."

Off the field, in the meeting rooms, that's exactly what coach Mike McCarthy and Rodgers are working toward together. McCarthy's confidence in Rodgers has grown after last season's performance. Rodgers now has much more input into game plans and the types of plays McCarthy will call.

More freedom
[ul]While Rodgers did have the ability to audible last season, he often was limited to what options he had. McCarthy has indicated to this point that Rodgers will have more options at his disposal.

"I just think that the way he calls plays, he'll give me more responsibility at the line of scrimmage this year," Rodgers said. "I think it's him trusting that he can call more plays where there's more of a chance that I might change it at the line of scrimmage depending on what I see.

"And that respect level has grown through the type of preparation I have put in. I think he saw the way I prepared every week and knew, 'OK, he's studied the film, he's studied the game plan, he knows what to expect, so I can call the play in so if he doesn't like it or he sees something different, he knows what the correct checks are going to be,' instead of calling a play where you're kind of locked into this with no other options."[/ul]

His own self
[ul]Perhaps having more input at the line will allow Rodgers to play less managed. At times last season, Rodgers played like a system quarterback, doing exactly what he had been told the previous three seasons. It was as if Rodgers had programmed himself to be the anti-Favre: limit mistakes, let the others do the heavy lifting.

At times it worked. There were other times when even Rodgers' teammates told him to let loose a little bit.

"There were a few occasions where you could see he totally wasn't himself," receiver Greg Jennings said. "It was kind of like you could see he was trying to be what (the coaches) wanted him to be. Not saying that's what Mike and everybody wanted him to be. But it wasn't Aaron. It was like, 'Man, you have to be you.'

"I remember sharing that with him down in New Orleans when we were going through that shootout. That was one of the games where I really noticed it, that wasn't Aaron Rodgers playing. That was Aaron the coached-up player playing."

That was a season-on-the-line, got-to-have-it game. The Packers were embarrassed on national television, 51-29, as Rodgers threw three interceptions and posted his second-worst passer rating (59.8).

Maybe McCarthy thought the same as Jennings, because McCarthy has made it clear Rodgers needs to be his own man - warts and all - on the field. Not the man the coaches envision him being.
[/ul]

Coach agrees
[ul]"I think it's important, No. 1, for Aaron Rodgers to be himself," McCarthy said. "Do I think he's an extension of myself? Yes, I agree. But it's important for him to do that within his own personality, and you can see this football team is definitely starting to have his name on it."

Will that match with the names of Cutler and, likely, Favre? The Packers bet six years and $65 million - the contract they handed Rodgers after seven starts (4-3) last year - it would.

"You obviously want them to feel like they made the right decision," Rodgers said. "Definitely."

Rodgers, Year 2, starts now.

No pressure.[/ul]

This is a great article. I found Jennings comments very interesting and I am intrigued to see how he plays, he meaning Rodgers. With him having more freedom perhaps he'll let loose a bit more and take some chances that give our WR's a chance to help win those close games down the stretch for us.
UserPostedImage
buckeyepackfan
14 years ago
Several posters last year were screaming every week to let Aaron Rodgers turn it loose(including me), good to hear Mike McCarthy is going to give him more freedom and more options.

I watched the latest video on Packers.com with AR, was impressed with his confidence and just the overall leadership that came across while he was being interviewed.

Time to turn the page on 2008 and look foward to 2009.

I look for a 4500-5000 yd , 30-35 td's, 15-20 ints. year for AR. I said it all last year and I will continue to say it, the strength of this Packer team is their WR's, put them all on the field and let Aaron Rodgers do his thing.

I have and always will be a huge Brett Favre fan, if he does play this year, it is going to be tough, but I will have to be rooting against him at least twice this year. :icon_smile: :icon_smile: :icon_smile:

Go Pack bring back The North Ghampionship in 2009!!!!
I was addicted to The Hokey Pokey, but I turned myself around!
Fan Shout
dfosterf (9h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (10h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (12h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (13h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (16h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (17h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.