Pack93z
14 years ago

Cassell = Brady went down, fans knew he was coming back, did what he had to and did well
Rodgers = perception is the Packers chose HIM over the face of the franchise

Cassell and Rodgers, completely different pressures put on them. I highly doubt some little kid went up to Cassell during practice, flipped him off and said 'fuck you'.

Cassells predecessor was injured and would be returning. Fans knew this, everyone knew this.
Rodgers predecessor retired and unretired, leaving lots of uncertainty.

Rodgers got his chance because the former QB retired.
Cassell got his chance because the incumbent starter was lost for the 1 year.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Wait, didn't Brady suffer a staph infection? Didn't he under go another surgery and the time table for his possible return remain in question up past the point where the Pats franchised Cassell?

Ask LeCharles Bentley how his return from staph infection played out and impacted his career.

Oh and don't forget that the Pats were coming off a SuperBowl appearance with the same team and were expected to make another run before the Brady injury?

Disagree.. Cassell didn't have more pressure but probably didn't face less either.

Remember I like Rodgers and have as happy as a pig in slop that he is our QB for the next several years at this very point.. but to hand him more kudos than he deserves isn't free from a homeristic view either.

I like the future.. but haven't we learned yet that over idolizing players turns around an burns you at times.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Idolizing? Who is idolizing Rodgers here?

Cassell had different pressure than Rodgers from the fans. To me, that's easy to see and acknowledge.

Cassell had expectations, but no where near that of Rodgers in the sense the latter had to live up to a freaking legend and face of the franchise who was perceived to be run out of town. Cassell had to replace the face of his franchise for one season.

Yes, the Patriots were coming off a Super Bowl, the same one that the Packers were ONE score away from playing in as well!

You want me to ask LeCharles a question? Once you give me his number, I'll get on that. I'll ask him if he wants to play Madden too and I'll whoop up on him!! 😛
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

Probably right around the time he told us to hop on board and shut up. ;)

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I dont feel I need to sell myself to the fans. They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut. -- Aaron Rodgers

Do you even know the context this was said? Do you know what was discussed prior to this comment? I'm not saying it was right, not at all, but to hold this grudge a year later for a man who made a mistake I think is kind of petty. Albeit, funny. 🙂 I'm thinking you're leaning more on the funny side of it rather than holding a grudge.

Rodgers would later say this in regards to the quote ...

"The hardest thing today and I've been pretty bummed out, to be honest is that I honestly care about the fans. I do. They make the team go," Rodgers said. "Hopefully our fans know how I really feel about them. Hopefully they think about the interactions I've had with them. I can't think of a single time where I've had a negative experience with a fan. That's my biggest fear that people look at (the quote) and say, 'The guy's arrogant, he hasn't done anything yet.' I realize that I haven't done anything yet. I've played one good game in the NFL in three years, and otherwise I've been a backup. I don't expect anyone to give me anything. I just don't want this quote to come off arrogant or as negative towards our fans.

"I'm going to let each individual search their own heart and let them decide what they think the question was or what questions were asked (to lead to the quote). To break down the quote as best as I can, the message I wanted to get out was, 'Let's move past myself, because it's not about me. Let's get on board with the Green Bay Packers of 2008.' I know the fans will cheer me or boo me depending on how I play. But let's not make it (only) about me, even though I'm at the most scrutinized position on field."

"pack93z" wrote:

Yes more so the funny side than anything.. and yes I know the context of the discussion around it. Hence why I used it.. Aaron wasn't allowing that to add pressure to himself.. exactly countering this "implied" pressure we are claiming in this very thread.

But to your point.. yes I still didn't like the quote a year later.. but it isn't like I despise the dude for saying it.. just words. Kind of like the claimed "shtick" of his last interview. ;)

I cheer out players on with the best of them, but I also don't buy into the theory that we can't criticize them either when they step out of line. Never really understood why we can't be critical of these players yet still follow through with a full measure of support of their play.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Pack93z
14 years ago

Just one "Young First Year Starter" as an NFL QB, who has gone through more bull shit, fish bowl-looking glass, playing field, locker room scrutiny, hell hole opportunity, to make a first time, first year impression, that put up the numbers and stats that Aaron put up last year.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

This is the crux of the argument.. how much BS you really believe Aaron endured outside the the pressure of following a legend.

Aaron was announced the starter after the retirement and from that very point forward was treated by the franchise and the team as the starter. All the quotes of players from last season support that, the words from Mike McCarthy and Ted hammer it home.

So now we are down to the media and the fans.

The media.. I think every QB following a legend has that same pressure on them.. albeit that none that I can think of had said legend wanting his job back. Wait.. maybe we have seen this before, Young and Montana.. injury basically opened the door for Young to take over.. and the Niners did trade away a legend to boot. But Cassell had to walk in the mighty shadow as well..

Now we are down to the fans.. and minus the few that flung needless insults at the practices I think his interaction with the fans wasn't as bad as it is made out to be... question that, think back to the overwhelming cheers that Rodgers received on the opening weekend against Minnesota...

So really.. is there this overwhelming negative stigma surrounding Rodgers from the majority of the Packer fan? Not in my opinion... at least not anymore than the normal player receives....

Let me be clear.. I think there were some special circumstances surrounding the transition but I wouldn't say they were overwhelming to a player that was deemed ready by the franchise.
warhawk
14 years ago
I think one of the most underscored sports stories of last year is what Rodgers did in that first game when he had millions of people watching and a very split citizenship on whether or not he should have even been the starting QB in that game.

When a guy can perform like that under those conditions all I can say is a lot of what he may face will be a walk in the park compared to what it must have felt like under center for that first snap.
"The train is leaving the station."
Pack93z
14 years ago

I think one of the most underscored sports stories of last year is what Rodgers did in that first game when he had millions of people watching and a very split citizenship on whether or not he should have even been the starting QB in that game.

When a guy can perform like that under those conditions all I can say is a lot of what he may face will be a walk in the park compared to what it must have felt like under center for that first snap.

"warhawk" wrote:

This I will agree to... but beyond that first game was it really extraordinary?
dd80forever
14 years ago

Just one "Young First Year Starter" as an NFL QB, who has gone through more bull shit, fish bowl-looking glass, playing field, locker room scrutiny, hell hole opportunity, to make a first time, first year impression, that put up the numbers and stats that Aaron put up last year.

"pack93z" wrote:

This is the crux of the argument.. how much BS you really believe Aaron endured outside the the pressure of following a legend.

Aaron was announced the starter after the retirement and from that very point forward was treated by the franchise and the team as the starter. All the quotes of players from last season support that, the words from Mike McCarthy and Ted hammer it home.

So now we are down to the media and the fans.

The media.. I think every QB following a legend has that same pressure on them.. albeit that none that I can think of had said legend wanting his job back. Wait.. maybe we have seen this before, Young and Montana.. injury basically opened the door for Young to take over.. and the Niners did trade away a legend to boot. But Cassell had to walk in the mighty shadow as well..

Now we are down to the fans.. and minus the few that flung needless insults at the practices I think his interaction with the fans wasn't as bad as it is made out to be... question that, think back to the overwhelming cheers that Rodgers received on the opening weekend against Minnesota...

So really.. is there this overwhelming negative stigma surrounding Rodgers from the majority of the Packer fan? Not in my opinion... at least not anymore than the normal player receives....

Let me be clear.. I think there were some special circumstances surrounding the transition but I wouldn't say they were overwhelming to a player that was deemed ready by the franchise.

"RaiderPride" wrote:

Spot on......great post
blank
dd80forever
14 years ago
The pressure Rodgers faced was from a percentage of fans not anyone inside the organization.

All Qb's have a fair amount of fans that do not like them and are critical.

It seems many had a view of what it was going to be like for the QB that replaced Brett long before it happened. However, when the moment came it wasn't NEARLY as bad as we thought it would be. Having a 12 year old kid tell you "you suck" is nothing compared to a complete stadium booing you, which many QB's have faced.

A-Rod is this organizations golden boy. He has had nothing but support from them. If "pressure" is having a percentage of fans not liking you, every QB in the NFL is under pressure.

Cassel was fighting for a job. Some other QB's don't have 3 years to learn the system. Others don't get to observe a first ballot hall-of-famer.

What's more pressure?

Getting your neighbors to like you OR working a job that can be pulled out from underneath you at anytime?
blank
go.pack.go.
14 years ago

A-Rod is this organizations golden boy. He has had nothing but support from them. If "pressure" is having a percentage of fans not liking you, every QB in the NFL is under pressure.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Well I don't know of many organizations that do NOT support their QB. If they didn't then they would be complete idiots, because they would get nowhere.
UserPostedImage
dd80forever
14 years ago

"go.pack.go." wrote:

Well I don't know of many organizations that do NOT support their QB. If they didn't then they would be complete idiots, because they would get nowhere.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Yes they support their starter, some more than others. Look at the Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn thing.

Backups don't get the same loyalty, most have to scrap and claw to catch on. Being handed a starting job and earning one are entirely different things. I'm not knocking A-Rod for being handed a job but I sure don't feel sorry for him "pressure-wise".
blank
Fan Shout
buckeyepackfan (3h) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (3h) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (6h) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (7h) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (9h) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (10h) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (15h) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (15h) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23h) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23h) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23h) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

5h / Random Babble / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

21-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.