porky88
14 years ago
Favre wants to play for the Vikings. He and Cook manipulated the system to get his way. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is what he did and for people to look the other way is a tad ridiculous.

He retired early so the Jets could enter the off-season and spend money they thought they had. Favre retiring cleared up give or take 12 million for the Jets. Money they used on Bart Scott and Jim Leonard. They also moved up in the draft and selected Mark Sanchez and that also adds onto the salary cap. Selecting a QB at No. 4 costs more than selecting a QB at No. 10 for example.

The Jets were now out of the picture for Favre. There was nothing they could've done to keep Favre had he decided to come back and play. Had he pushed the Jets hands like he did the Packers a year ago, New York didn't have the option of putting him on their roster because their cap situation was not friendly. It wasn't friendly for a contract like Brett Favre's because Favre retired and the Jets proceeded in the off-season like he wouldn't be a factor.

Therefor, New York just released him to be on the safe side and this is something Bus Cook had wanted since Favre retired. hmmm I wonder why?

The Jets had one option in May. Had Favre told them he wanted to play in February instead of retiring, there options would vary.

Favre and Cook found a flaw and used it to their advantage and now they'll get their way.
dd80forever
14 years ago

All I have to say is that if Favre truly wanted to play football, why isn't he wearing a Jet uniform this season? When one of the Favre firster people can explain this to me, I am willing to listen.

Until that happens, I am going to insist that Brett's only motivation to play is so that he can "stick to Ted Thompson". This is not a righteous reason to come back and play when you're 40 and rapidly deteriorating.

I don't want to hear about winning a super bowl because the Vikings have more holes than we do. It is unrealistic and I'm willing to bet 93's good leg on it.

"DakotaT" wrote:

There are plenty of FA still out there. Vonnie Holliday must not want to play football either. Mark Tauscher as well. So if we sign a FA from here forward that guy is not a dedicated player?

He just had surgery. I think it would be smart to see if he's able to play before someone signs him.

The fact is you make Jamie Dukes point all the better. If he wants to come back, and the Vikings will sign him, either tomorrow or the day before the season starts, he should do so. It's just sad that that ultra-competitor that you loved when he was in GB is degraded for being the same guy going forward. He ruined your fairy-tale ending, face-it, and that is why you are mad.

"dd80forever" wrote:

First of all, one reason I'm mad right now is that Favre is allowed to retire, unretire, retire and unretire again to circumvent rules set in place by the NFL. The second reason I'm mad is that I don't want to see him in purple period, I will admit that.

A fairy tale ending for me would have been in '07, but unfortunately, the reveared one had to chuck up some quail so he could get to the locker room faster to warm up.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Why does that anger you? What difference does it make. Do you think the NFL needs to step in. What rule has Brett Favre broke?

With your attitude it's no wonder Brett would want to stick it to GB. NFC Championship game in OT and he makes a bad throw and somehow that id worse than going 6-10 and not making the playoffs at all. Thats failed logic.

"dd80forever" wrote:

Because it is all calculated for Brett to get to the Vikings. Are you Fvcking blind?

Makes a bad throw, he is a seasoned Vet running the same offense for 16 years and he can't read a check down? The Giants gift wrapped that game to us, but someone had to piss it down his leg.

Get over yourself on 08 and 6-10, it's tiresome and your argument has ran it's course.. We were in every game except 2, but unfortunately we didn't get the breaks, and we were beat up on Defense, whereas in 07 we were relatively injury free. If you can't recogninze that than I feel sorry for you. In 07 we weren't really piss throttling anyone until late in the season. 34-0 over the Vikings, I will cherish forever though.

"DakotaT" wrote:

So A-Rod gets credit for being "in the games" that we lost but Brett gets the blame for "not reading a Check-Down" in a game we lost.

Ironic
blank
dhazer
14 years ago

Favre wants to play for the Vikings. He and Cook manipulated the system to get his way. There is nothing wrong with that, but it is what he did and for people to look the other way is a tad ridiculous.

He retired early so the Jets could enter the off-season and spend money they thought they had. Favre retiring cleared up give or take 12 million for the Jets. Money they used on Bart Scott and Jim Leonard. They also moved up in the draft and selected Mark Sanchez and that also adds onto the salary cap. Selecting a QB at No. 4 costs more than selecting a QB at No. 10 for example.

The Jets were now out of the picture for Favre. There was nothing they could've done to keep Favre had he decided to come back and play. Had he pushed the Jets hands like he did the Packers a year ago, New York didn't have the option of putting him on their roster because their cap situation was not friendly. It wasn't friendly for a contract like Brett Favre's because Favre retired and the Jets proceeded in the off-season like he wouldn't be a factor.

Therefor, New York just released him to be on the safe side and this is something Bus Cook had wanted since Favre retired. hmmm I wonder why?

The Jets had one option in May. Had Favre told them he wanted to play in February instead of retiring, there options would vary.

Favre and Cook found a flaw and used it to their advantage and now they'll get their way.

"porky88" wrote:

Porky did you ever wonder the same thing i did? Remember Brett wasn't interested in the Jets and all of a sudden he was for it after talking to the gm on the phone. I always wondered if they made some kind of deal that after the year was over they would release him but had to do it a certain way and they mutually came up with this plan. After all don't you think the Jets would be throwing a big fit over everything and yet you hear how happy they are. They bring in big revenue with Brett for the year and then the following year they get to get the future qb they want and not have Pennington around holding them back.

I know it sounds weird but it got me wondering.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
dhazer
14 years ago
Ok i thought i would never say this but damn ddforever can you find something else to talk about i'm getting tired of reading the same shit over and over again. I'm not sold on Rodgers and have been called a hater but damn i don't even ride him that hard.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago

So A-Rod gets credit for being "in the games" that we lost but Brett gets the blame for "not reading a Check-Down" in a game we lost.

Ironic

"dd80forever" wrote:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2256/2218951294_1523dffcbf_b.jpg 
blank
DakotaT
14 years ago

Ironic

"dd80forever" wrote:

Why does everthing get twisted into your private agenda all the time? I'm not comparing the two quarterbacks, I'm ripping on your hero. Favre dropped the ball in that overtime loss and their is no defense for that, except the Media won't ever call him on the carpet for eratic play. Believe me, if Rodgers does that kind of crap on that type of stage, I won't "give him a pass either."
UserPostedImage
porky88
14 years ago

"dhazer" wrote:

Porky did you ever wonder the same thing i did? Remember Brett wasn't interested in the Jets and all of a sudden he was for it after talking to the gm on the phone. I always wondered if they made some kind of deal that after the year was over they would release him but had to do it a certain way and they mutually came up with this plan. After all don't you think the Jets would be throwing a big fit over everything and yet you hear how happy they are. They bring in big revenue with Brett for the year and then the following year they get to get the future qb they want and not have Pennington around holding them back.

I know it sounds weird but it got me wondering.

"porky88" wrote:

I think Cook probably did his homework on the Jets. He probably looked at their cap figures or projections for the off-season and thought that Favre could probably get out after one year.

Not sure though. Maybe they did have a gentleman's agreement of some sorts. I honestly never thought about it like that. I did read that the Jets felt Favre could possibly come back and play for the Vikings, but that they thought he was done. Perhaps Cook and Favre just convinced the Jets that they were done.
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

There are plenty of FA still out there. Vonnie Holliday must not want to play football either. Mark Tauscher as well. So if we sign a FA from here forward that guy is not a dedicated player?

"dd80forever" wrote:

For heaven's sake, man, the sheer ballsiness of the way you deliberately sidestep this man's point and argue another thing entirely is breathtaking. Strawmen everywhere fear for their safety when you appear.

He asked, if Favre wants to play football, why isn't he in a Jet's uniform? In other words, why did he retire in the first place? He wasn't trying to argue that Favre's failure to sign with a team already is a sign of a lack of dedication. He was arguing that his retirement from the team he was on was evidence of this.

At least try to give the man the courtesy of addressing the argument he's making instead of misrepresenting it.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I have to give it to Favre, though. I wouldn't want to play for the Jets anymore either. A little bith of common sense and a little bit of him being idolized by the Packer fans.

When the HC who brought you in gets fired and your teammates are bashing you for a late season collapse, then it doesn't look like the greatest place to come back to. I think that he would've been killed by the media in the off-season and he would have to put too much effort in to get on the good side of the team, GM, media and fans again. Like I said, some of it I can understand, some of it came with being a god in the eyes of many Packer fans.
Cheesey
14 years ago
So quickly run to another team instead of facing your team and being held accountable for his late season collapse.
Yeah......sounds good to me........(not)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (8h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (9h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

22h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.