Dulak
14 years ago
man that article made our guys sound like just a couple guys playing some ball out in the park instead guys paid millions

ie guys not knowing the plays, or dropping balls etc ... I wonder how this guy swain is (maybe he could be our 4th WR?)

I dont know if you guys remember finleys plays last year but he had some problems catching them also or turning the right way etc ...
I always thought humphreys catches were real good but sounds like hes getting beat out by finley.

wtf is up with matthews - I want to see if he's going to get into the LB position. Thompson is another big guy ie 1/2 DE 1/2 LB - wonder if we will be using nice big guys for our OLBers ... perhaps sub in a coverage guy if need be smaller and more mobile (chillar, matthews).

I'm most interested in our Dline and LB core this season. ie both rely on each other on getting these plays.
Be interesting to see how they work together.

anyone hear any news on jolly? he usually plays pretty well
just think we might actually see harrell play this season.
14 years ago
Another Jamarko Simmons sighting.

UserPostedImage

After this high stepping display, the team was removed from the field so that it could be re-leveled and have its self esteem talked back up.
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago

Another Jamarko Simmons sighting.

UserPostedImage

After this high stepping display, the team was removed from the field so that it could be re-leveled and have its self esteem talked back up.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Lol. +1

I really hope that this kid makes the team. Nothing against Ruvell, since he's a great person and all, but I think we should be able to find an upgrade for him. If this guys is truly being learned by Jennings, he ought to become a good player.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2009/04/greg_jennings_jamarko_simmons.html 
14 years ago
[img]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=U0&Dato=20090610&Kategori=PKR0204&Lopenr=906100803&Ref=PH&Item=45&Maxw=600&Maxh=500[/img]

A picture says a thousand words! There were also at least 2 or 3 pics in this set of Kampman laughing/smiling. Good to see.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago

[img]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=U0&Dato=20090610&Kategori=PKR0204&Lopenr=906100803&Ref=PH&Item=45&Maxw=600&Maxh=500[/img]

A picture says a thousand words! There were also at least 2 or 3 pics in this set of Kampman laughing/smiling. Good to see.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Man, does he look lean!
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

* CB Pat Lee, TE Jermichael Finley and WR Brett Swain were among the players who jumped out in the third of four OTA practices open to reporters. A full breakdown is right here .

The blitz: Open OTA No. 3
Cleaning out the notebook from today's open organized team activity practice on Clarke Hinkle Field ...

* With T Chad Clifton (knees/shoulders), C Scott Wells (shoulder) and T Breno Giacomini (ankle) still sidelined following offseason surgeries, the No. 1 offensive line has been the same throughout OTAs: LT Tony Moll, LG Daryn Colledge, C Jason Spitz, RG Josh Sitton and RT Allen Barbre. Behind them, it's LT Jamon Meredith, LG Nevin McCaskill, C Duke Preston, RG Evan Dietrich-Smith and RT T.J. Lang. Really tough to evaluate the group right now because there's no live blocking in OTAs.

* S Atari Bigby (ankle) and LB Nick Barnett (knee) once again participated in part of the jog-through before dropping out. When they were in, the starting defense looked like this: RE Johnny Jolly, NT Ryan Pickett, LE B.J. Raji, ROLB Jeremy Thompson, mack Barnett, buck A.J. Hawk, LOLB Aaron Kampman, LCB Charles Woodson, RCB Al Harris, S Bigby, S Aaron Rouse. (The Packers are working safeties right/left instead of strong/weak.) RE Cullen Jenkins (ankle) also remains sidelined, and S Nick Collins remains a no-show. Jolly dropped out late and was replaced by Michael Montgomery. During team drills, S Anthony Smith replaced Bigby and LB Brandon Chillar replaced Barnett.

* With only four safeties available, Charlie Peprah and Jarrett Bush continue to get a lot of reps with the backup units. After Harris, Woodson and nickel CB Tramon Williams, the next three cornerbacks in are Will Blackmon, Pat Lee and Joe Porter. First-round draft pick Clay Matthews (hamstring) was the No. 2 ROLB until he dropped out. Brady Poppinga then moved from left to right and seventh-round pick Brad Jones moved in with the 2s.

* Korey Hall got the first rep at fullback.

* Blackmon, Williams and Ruvell Martin fielded punts from the JUGS machine. There was no live punting. However, Jeremy Kapinos continues to get the first rep lining up over Durant Brooks. As first reported in the post below, the Packers have released their third punter, Adam Graessle, as well as NT Brian Soi.

* In team (11-on-11) drills, WR James Jones got two of the easier deep catches he'll ever have, even in practice. On one, it looked like Woodson let him go. The other appeared to be a blown coverage. Jones had a third chance on a go down the right sideline, but Williams had perfect coverage.

* Bush, who is working out of position because of the safety shortage, made a nice play to break up a pass to TE Tory Humphrey during team.

* Play of the day goes to QB Aaron Rodgers and WR Donald Driver, who hooked up on a gorgeous out route during a team period. The defense blitzed on the play, and Rodgers threw a blind bullet over a defender to Driver, who hauled in the pass at the left sideline.

* Pat Lee was one of the standouts for the defense, breaking up a throw for Driver in team and another pass in 7-on-7.

* WR Brett Swain had a good day, leaping to catch a short-range dart from No. 3 QB Brian Brohm among three receptions in team.

* Hawk and Thompson had clear sacks in team periods.

* On consecutive plays in the blitz period, TE Jermichael Finley caught a touch pass from Brohm down the seam and then caught an out from Rodgers against Chillar, earning a nod and low-five from Harris. Finley finished with four catches during team drills.

* The Packers were short on tight ends after starter Donald Lee (right thigh) dropped out. Rookie Carson Butler (leg) was sitting out after a hard fall in Tuesday's practice, and Evan Moore didn't practice either. Finley and Tory Humphrey both worked extensively with the 1s.

* Chillar came up with the lone interception of the day, diving to catch the deflection after tipping a Rodgers pass on a blitz. The offense otherwise seemed to hold its own in the third-down blitz install, with the three quarterbacks combining to complete 7 of 11 passes. Some of those completions didn't result in first downs, though.

* After Jolly dropped out, the nickel defensive lines were (1) Montgomery and Raji and (2) Jarius Wynn and Anthony Toribio.

* The 7-on-7 passing drills are strange to watch with the new scheme. They actually start with 9 on defense and two players (usually OLBs) shadow rush, then duck. During training camp, the OLBs no doubt will spend time on the other end of the field while 7-on-7 is going on, participating in 1-on-1 pass-rushing drills.

* Matt Flynn continues to take the No. 2 reps ahead of Brohm, giving him roughly twice as many snaps during team drills. Final passing statistics in team periods: Rodgers 12-or-17, INT; Flynn 7-for-12; Brohm 3-for-8.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
earthquake
14 years ago
Little surprised to see that they're playing Montgomery for Jolly instead of Harrel, but maybe harrel is just baking up the other end position? You'de think they want to get him as much reps with the #1s as possible.
blank
earthquake
14 years ago
Heres the OTA report from JSO yesterday as well
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/47523897.html 

Packers Daily Briefing 06.10.10 OTA practice
By Lori Nickel of the Journal Sentinel
Jun. 10, 2009

Good afternoon. This is your Packers Daily Briefing for Wednesday, June 10

THE UPDATE (3:15 p.m.):

Green Bay -- Hi everyone! Not too bad for an OTA practice in June. The two hours featured plays on both sides of the ball, with the offense clearly trying to take shots downfield and the defense making what would seem to be improvement with each day that passes.

In 11-on-11 play against the first team defense against the first team offense, quarterback Aaron Rodgers took a shot deep quite often. He completed 3-3 passes on the first drive including a home run shot of 30 yards in the air and more on the ground for a sure touchdown to James Jones. On the next drive, however, Rodgers was sacked and then drew a flag for a false start. Rodgers made up for it with a missile to Donald Driver over Charles Woodson who smartly didnt lay out for that play.
On another drive, once again Rodgers found a wide open Jones on the right sideline.

That hookup wasnt always there, though, as on the next drive Jones tumbled with safety Anthony Smith and corner Tramon Williams as the ball fell incomplete.

On another team drive, Jermichael Finley hauled in a relatively weak pass from Rodgers to make an impressive gain. But pass but two plays later, linebacker Brandon Chillar stepped right up in the passing lane and batted down Rodgers throw, all while holding on for the interception.
In this 3-4 defense it seems like there are linebackers everywhere. Driver found a cluttered middle a couple of times on his crossing routes.

In the secondary, Woodson also stepped in to shadow Ruvell Martin on a deep play that fell apart.

Overall Rodgers was 12 for 17 but he also seemed to face a lot more pressure than last week. If this would have been real pads tackle football, Rodgers would have been sacked three times.

Running back Ryan Grant got a few handoffs and there werent many for the backs today and looked OK. Its really hard to tell in these hands-off kind of practices. The best runs might have come from second and third teamers like Kregg Lumpkin who skipped upfield decisively. I mean he was just, pick it up, read, go and gone. Another was from Tyrell Sutton, who is back after missing the OTAs because Northwestern was still in session. When he met the defensive wall on one run he did a complete 360 to cut the other way and pick up a few more yards.

For the non starters, again receiver Brett Swain made some nice catches. Aaron Kampman looked a lot better than the one practice reporters got to see last week, giving tackle Allen Barbre a good push and driving him back a few steps this time. If youre one of those pure football fans who doesnt just watch the skill positions and who likes to watch the game unfold in the trenches, that might be the most interesting matchup to watch this summer, the battle between Kampman at left outside linebacker and Barbre in the spot Mark Tauscher held down solidly for eight years.

As for attendance, safety Nick Collins was not here. Neither was Jake Allen, Lorne Sam, Brandon Underwood or Travis Dekker.

Many thanks to Rick Braun, who helped with JS coverage of practice today. He kept tabs on the defense and has many other tidbits:

Week 3 of the Green Bay Packers organized team activities, and the installation of the new 3-4 defense is rolling along.
Well, at times its rolling along.
I like what I see, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. I like what I see in the meeting environment, from the players. That feels very important.
Ive always felt that way as a position coach and even as a coordinator, that the communication cant just be the one coach at the front of the room. So theres a lot of communication and a lot of interaction.
At other times things hit a snag or two.
I talked to the team about this today, McCarthy said. When we talk about mental errors, I think you can put them into two types of categories: We break mental errors down as far as I view them as missed assignments or focus errors.
Its very normal at this time of year for any NFL team particularly if you go through a change, that your mental errors are very high going through your offseason program. Thats normal, because you have new players and you may have some veteran players that have not been there as much in March, April and May. So you have different players on different levels as far as their comfort zone of what theyre being asked to do.
With that being said, missed assignments are really the responsibility of the coach and the player. The coach has to get the players on the same page. We dont take the attitude that if a player makes an error out there on the field, then, Heck, I showed him that two times. He should have that. It doesnt work that way.
Good coaches make sure that their players know exactly what they need to do, and thats the phase were in right now.
In other words, its still very much a work in progress.
Its a scheme that is definitely challenging our defensive players because its more volume schematically, McCarthy said. Theres more communication involved.
Wednesday marked the ninth Organized Team Activity practice and the third one that was open to reporter, along with fans gathered outside the fences at Clark Hinkle Field.
With linebackers Nick Barnett and first-round pick Clay Mathews and safeties Atari Bigby sidelined recovering from injuries and safety Nick Collins not in attendance because hes unhappy with his contract, the No. 1 defense generally was as follows:
Johnny Jolly and rookie B.J. Raji at ends; Ryan Pickett at nose tackle; A.J. Hawk and Brandon Chillar as inside linebackers, Aaron Kampman and Jeremy Thompson as outside linebackers; Al Harris and Charles Woodson at the corners; and Aaron Rouse and Anthony Smith at the safeties.
One trait of the new defense that became apparent is that nearly every nickel or dime package involves just two down linemen who put their hand on the ground.
In most cases with the No. 1 defense, those two were rookie B.J. Raji and veteran Johnny Jolly, with nose tackle Ryan Pickett coming off the field and being replaced by a defensive back.
In effect, it becomes a 2-4-5 defense, with two of the four linebackers and maybe a third linebacker or a defensive back also likely to rush. The question the offense has to answer is Which two?
What it gives you is more flexibility, McCarthy said. When you identify that, (it becomes) Is the guy rushing or is he dropping. So its the uncertainty of that position as far as the alignment. It gives that particular individual the defensive end if its a four-man line, or the outside linebacker the opportunity to play with more vision as far as what the offense is giving you with formations and motions and things like that.
So it basically plays into the base concept of the defense youre not really sure who the fourth rusher is.

Two cut: While meeting with reporters, McCarthy acknowledged that the Packers had cut rookie punter Adam Graessle and first-year nose tackle Brian Soi.
Graessle was the third punter in camp. Incumbent Jeremy Kapinos and Durant Brooks are the two remaining in camp.
Ill tell you what, he was clearly the strongest leg of the three, Ill say that about him, McCarthy said of Graessle. Hes a young man that needs to keep chasing the dream. He did a nice job when he was here, but were getting to the point I think all the teams are in the NFL where the numbers are evident what youre going to do with certain players, and it was hard to go forward with three punters.

blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

Little surprised to see that they're playing Montgomery for Jolly instead of Harrel, but maybe harrel is just baking up the other end position? You'de think they want to get him as much reps with the #1s as possible.

"earthquake" wrote:

UserPostedImage

Around him to prevent injury before TC this late summer.. :lol:
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I liked these two.

* Pat Lee was one of the standouts for the defense, breaking up a throw for Driver in team and another pass in 7-on-7.

* WR Brett Swain had a good day, leaping to catch a short-range dart from No. 3 QB Brian Brohm among three receptions in team.

I really hope that Pat Lee can eventually be the starter opposite of Williams, that way we won't be left with two big gaps when Woodson and Harris retire.

I like that Swain is showing some potential, as well. It ought to be a fight for the 5th spot on the roster. Swain, Simmons, Martin, we'll see how it'll end up.
Fan Shout
dfosterf (15h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (16h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.