bozz_2006
14 years ago
but that is assuming that Kampman won't fit in the new scheme. If he just doesn't fit, then yes, trade him. But the staff seems to like how he fits. I want what's best for the team, and I have a few opinions on that, but since I don't know how this new defense will work or really what it's going to look like, i'll trust that McCarthy, Capers, Greene, and Ted are confident with what Kampman can do.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

but that is assuming that Kampman won't fit in the new scheme. If he just doesn't fit, then yes, trade him. But the staff seems to like how he fits. I want what's best for the team, and I have a few opinions on that, but since I don't know how this new defense will work or really what it's going to look like, i'll trust that McCarthy, Capers, Greene, and Ted are confident with what Kampman can do.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

I see what you're saying. I just don't think the Packers would say our Pro Bowl DE doesn't fit our scheme. Wouldn't that slim the value of potentially trading him? On the flipside, by saying he's struggling with the new defense that could open up the flood gates for teams that have a 4 - 3 because he is proven to be great at DE.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago

"SlickVision" wrote:

I see what you're saying. I just don't think the Packers would say our Pro Bowl DE doesn't fit our scheme. Wouldn't that slim the value of potentially trading him? On the flipside, by saying he's struggling with the new defense that could open up the flood gates for teams that have a 4 - 3 because he is proven to be great at DE.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

I'm curious - lets say he doesnt fit well into the scheme so in a way we are wasting a pro bowl 4-3 DE in something he doesnt do well in.

Capers came in this DC position saying he would mold the defense to fit the players; and obviously a pro bowl player is someone important.

Like to see how that works out then ...
porky88
14 years ago
Again the story here isn't that big unless Kampman decides to sit out OTA's, Mini-Camp, and Training Camp.

The fact is he's there and will be a Packer this year. He's going to play his best because he always gives you 100% of his effort and his motor doesn't stop.

I for one believe he's going to have at least 10 sacks give or take.

This is also the first few practices of him just getting used to things. As the year goes on, he'll become more accustomed to the switch. He hasn't even played in it with full pads yet.

Of course he'd probably prefer to play DE because he's been a DE for majority of his career, but trying to put words in his mouth that he's angry or can't do it to me is bogus in my opinion. Not every player is always happy and nor should be. Most players always want more.

I would still contest that he's more mad about the timing of this switch than he is the actual switch. I think the fact he's in a contract year is what is probably bothering him because GB isn't willing to start to negotiate long-term until they see how he makes the transition.

They're so many factors and this Aaron Kampman hates the 3-4 type of stuff is what the writers would love to write so they can get a story. Remember, they don't' care about the Packers. They want a story whether there is one or not.

Like I said at the top. Kampman being mad isn't a story when he shows up to every single practice and is putting in the extra effort.

Now Kampman holding out is a story. If it comes that, then I'm worried.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"Dulak" wrote:

"SlickVision" wrote:

I'm curious - lets say he doesnt fit well into the scheme so in a way we are wasting a pro bowl 4-3 DE in something he doesnt do well in.

Capers came in this DC position saying he would mold the defense to fit the players; and obviously a pro bowl player is someone important.

Like to see how that works out then ...

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Kampman won't be lining up at OLB every single play. Not even half the plays. He'll still get his plays as an END. At least, that's what I am lead to believe from the coaches talk.
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago

Kampman won't be lining up at OLB every single play. Not even half the plays. He'll still get his plays as an END. At least, that's what I am lead to believe from the coaches talk.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

ya I realize this - was just giving a hypothetical since people are talking about various scenarios with kampman.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"Dulak" wrote:

ya I realize this - was just giving a hypothetical since people are talking about various scenarios with kampman.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

And I was giving the best answer my feeble mind could think of. 🙂
UserPostedImage
jbshell04
14 years ago
Are most of you really serious about this BS non story. The press and us fans some how think we have the right to have access to players. I lived worked and went to school in Platteville when the Bears were there and more than 95 percent of the players just wanted to be treated like normal human beings.
To presume that Aarons like or dislike of something can be predicated on his limited exposure is idiotic. Both the press and us fans need to chill IT IS THE OTA PERIOD FOLKS. It is like going on a first date in regards to the new scheme.
At first blush some will love it. Some will hate it. Some will wait and see. What I saw in the interview was a proffesional that was learning a new system and is withholding his opinion at the time. He had nothing good nor bad to say.
Personally I would be more worried if he was going all gungho saying he loved it. To me that would appear more worrisome than his current pragmatic approach.
I am therefor I think.
bozz_2006
14 years ago
nothin worse than a desperate chick, er, football player.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

I said this when the announcement was made to switch to the 3-4: It is not fair to Kampmann or Harris. He should be traded to Carolina for Peppers, and not because I want to see a one legged man in a skirt and pom poms either. Kampmann is a 4-3 DE and very good at it.

"DakotaT" wrote:

I have no worries.. I am safe here.. :lol:

This is how I see this playing out in reality.

If Kampman excels in the 3-4. hybrid, nickel/dime role that he will be put through this season, he will resign here for the bulk of his remaining career.

If he struggles with the role, he will be Franchised and then dealt to a 4-3 team next offseason for a return package.

I see absolutely no scenario this season where they move him unless someone comes to the Packers and overpays big time to obtain him.. Pepper for Kampman isn't in that class of overpayment considering how much cash we would have to fork over to Peppers...

Aaron is too valuable to the Packers in all aspects of this defense right now to just bail on him without giving it a chance to work.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"