Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Damn there are some quality nuggets in here... I really like "Big Grease" taking to Raji.... excellent..

Source of Course... 

Expanding the story, Volume I
While I'm working on a story for Saturday's edition, here are some expanded quotes on the stories we got to and a few we didn't on Thursday ...

The story: DE Justin Harrell says he's pain free for the first time in years.

* Defensive line coach Mike Trgovac: "Justins been impressive so far, hes a very bright kid, he certainly has the athletic ability and the size to do what were asking him to do, and Ive been very pleased with not only his effort, but his, um, you can tell that it means something to him. I never saw his game face or whatever you want to call it before, but hes a very determined young man. I could tell by the two days of practice that well have very good competition at these positions in training camp. ... He fits in very well. I just Ive been very pleased with the way Justin has approached this offseason. I have not been with him in the past, so I cannot speak on the past, but hes been very determined, hes moving very well, and hes very focused right now, and hes just naturally a bright kid. Ive been very pleased with his effort. He wants to learn, he wants to know all the little ins and outs of the defense, and he picks thinks up very quickly. He doesnt make a mistake twice very often."

* Harrell, on how to stay healthy: "I wish I had the answer, because if I did, I would definitely do everything I could. But I dont know. Youve got to go out and work, man. Injuries are a part of it. Nobody can really predict when youre going to get injured. So, Ive just got to go out and work as long as I can and hope for the best."

The story: Ryan Pickett is getting the first shot at being the nose tackle in the new 3-4 defense.

* Pickett, on the selection of B.J. Raji at No. 9: "Right away, initially you dont know. I was like, what does this mean? But eventually, its great. I think its great. You have to make a move for the future. Hes a great young man and is going to be a great player, and I'm excited to have him around. Hes definitely farther ahead than I ever was as a rookie."

Will you mentor him? "Ill mentor him on and off the field. I dont mind that role. I like it, hes a good kid, so you dont mind."

Thoughts on the 3-4 defense: "I think its good, its a lot to learn, but I think I can fit in good and be a real good nose guard, its challenge the way we play nose here, but I like a challenge."

Open to playing some end? "Yeah, it would be different, I dont know what I would think about it, but it wouldnt be no big deal, but nose is so complicated I'm not even thinking about learning anything else. ... Never played a snap of 3-4 in my life."

On the responsibilities of the nose tackle:
"I have both 'A' gaps now, if the guard, he goes one way, I have to beat him to that side, its not just about being big and strong, its about being quick because I have to be front side every play and when you're lining head up on a guy, thats one of the hardest things to do. Youve got to read and react fast."

The story:
First-round pick Clay Matthews strained a hamstring in his first full-squad practice.

Matthews: "Yeah, unfortunately, its just a minor tweak, a little strain. They held me out today, just being a little cautious, because it can obviously turn into a lot more. I feel a lot better than yesterday. I've been working out on it, and I felt like I was able to jog around. Its day to day and I imagine Ill be back sooner rather than later."

How it happened:
"Chasing after the quarterback, what else? It was the second to last period, team pass I think. The quarterback flushed out of the pocket and was just chasing after him."

Back next week? "They havent really given me a timetable, because I think ultimately its up to me, but its day to day right now. I woke today feeling good, so I hope tomorrow it will be that much better and on Tuesday hopefully Ill be right back at it."

The story: DE Cullen Jenkins, who is coming off surgery for a torn pec, also recently undewent ankle surgery and isn't practicing.

Jenkins: "It wasnt an easy decision, but I think it was a necessary one. There was a little concern with the injury, whether or not it was getting worse, so they just wanted to go in and check it out and make sure nothing was wrong, so it is the ankle that theyre a little more concerned about. Actually talked to the doctor yesterday, and he was more concerned about the ankle, and I was more worried about the pec, but he told me he has zero concern about my pec, and I feel like theres zero concern about my ankle. But we have a lot of time, and he doesnt want to rush me out there. with everybody being so anxious right now, he doesnt want anything to happen, to get rolled up on or anything."

On the new scheme: "Theres a lot less freedom than as a 4-3 end, you're not on the edge, its more like being a tackle so stuff is going to happen a lot faster and you have to be ready to react. Its a position thats really important to the team, Ill be responsible for taking up blockers and holding gaps."

Is it a good fit? "I feel like any position on the d-line is a good fit for me, I feel like I can play any position across the board. I definitely embrace the challenge of it, and I look forward to getting out there and showing what I can do."

More nuts and bolts than glamour? "Yeah, I kinda look at it like almost an offensive line thing, but you still get opportunities to rush the passer but it is more of an unselfish position and think about the team and the scheme and not try to be selfish and worry about making plays and just make sure youre holding your responsibilities so the defense can work."

The story: WR James Jones thinks he's past the knee injury that plagued him all last season. He rested the injury for about a month and did not have surgery.

Jones: "Im perfect now. Everythings perfect. I feel great, and Im ready to rock."

What did you do during that month? "Nothing. Not a thing. No thing period. Just let my knee rest. ... I started running like a couple of weeks before the offseason workouts started just to get my wind back, so like early March, and then when I came here I participated in all the workouts."

So youve done everything since March?: "Yep. Full go. ... It feels good to get back to being myself and being able to run again. I dont feel any pain or anything. I'm excited."

The story:
CB Tramon Williams took out an insurance policy to ensure he could work out with the Packers even though he wasn't signed -- until later Thursday, when the team announced he had signed a one-year deal.

Williams, on why he chose to show up instead of sitting out: "Thats what Ive been doing my whole life. I never took a day off from practice, mandatory or voluntary. I never took a day off even when I wasnt getting paid in high school and college. Im getting paid now; its no different, though, to me. Basically, to help myself, too. Weve got the new defense coming in. If I wasnt here, obviously, that would have hurt me, and the team obviously, too. Thats basically the reason why I came. I was going to be here regardless, new defense or not. But that definitely triggered it. I was going to be up here to get the defense in, be around my teammates."

So there really was no choice once the scheme change was made? "Obviously, you have to be here if you want to get better. Im still a young player. Its no excuse for me not to be up here, so Im here."

Do you feel like this scheme will give you more opportunities to peek into backfield, play the ball? "Thats what this defense is mainly about giving us a chance to read the quarterback. You play press man so much, you never get a chance to see the quarterback. Get read, three steps, five steps, and from the quarterback reads, you can basically feel out what the receivers doing. Thats what were going to gain from this defense."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
longtimefan
14 years ago
Jenkins had ankle surgery too?
wils0646
14 years ago
Yea, that ankle comment didn't sit right with me. I hope he stays on the field this year. We need him.
The Pack Will Be Back.
doddpower
14 years ago
If the doctors nor Jenkins himself have any worries about either injury, then neither will I. Just a precautionary ankle surgery. It's all good.
longtimefan
14 years ago

If the doctors nor Jenkins himself have any worries about either injury, then neither will I. Just a precautionary ankle surgery. It's all good.

"doddpower" wrote:

not saying I am worried, just shocked it wasnt mentioned before now
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Just reading through that article makes you proud to be a Packers fan. Of course, some of these are PR answers and I'm pretty sure that other teams have guys like this as well, but I really feel like we have a group of great people on the field.

I'd like to see an interview or update on Jeremy Thompson, though. See how he has progressed. His first year stats weren't that great, but KGB's or Kampman's weren't either. Really looking forward to see how he's doing as an OLB with dropping back etc. If he has any kind of coverage skills, he'll be a great fit at OLB.
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (59m) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (1h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (15h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.