TheEngineer
14 years ago
If we're going to have little Daves running around, might as well make sure they're well looked after and healthy little buggers!

One major difference between vehicle toxins and second hand smoke is that, for one thing, smoking occurs during enclosed (or more hopefully) open public spaces where people dwell, such as a home, in a restaurant, at a college/university, etc. You don't have cars idling in the middle of a pub, or down at the bleachers when watching a Packers game.

Furthermore, the choice of smoking is voluntary and entirely predicated on the desire to smoke. The purpose, for the vast majority of vehicle owners is as a method of transportation; people don't own cars so they can smell fumes. Thus the act of smoking in a public place constitutes a voluntary engagement, disregarding the effects caused unto others, by smoking. This is especially sad when parents smoke in front of children. Not only does it set a bad example but it also materially affects their health. I hope nobody here subjects their children to their own smoking. It is unfortunate that carbon monoxide is so noxious and toxic, but the auto industry is close to developing green cars which produce far less pollutants. While there may be tobacco manufactures interested in going green, it is far less evident to me. What I see from them is the continual pursuit of money at the expense of its customer's health. Its employees are still extensions of the firm; people work at their job because their desire to earn money overrides the ramifications of the product to which they aide in manufacturing. I can appreciate that many have no choice but to work there given their financial situation, so I hope it does at least enter their conscious at some point in their lives how their contribution to a tobacco firm has benefited humanity.

As an interesting aside, I first "smoked" when I was 3 years old. My father apparently gave me a puff which (naturally) I coughed up. Haven't ever picked up a cigarette. The smell puts me off.
blank
Dulak
14 years ago

If we're going to have little Daves running around, might as well make sure they're well looked after and healthy little buggers!

One major difference between vehicle toxins and second hand smoke is that, for one thing, smoking occurs during enclosed (or more hopefully) open public spaces where people dwell, such as a home, in a restaurant, at a college/university, etc. You don't have cars idling in the middle of a pub, or down at the bleachers when watching a Packers game.

Furthermore, the choice of smoking is voluntary and entirely predicated on the desire to smoke. The purpose, for the vast majority of vehicle owners is as a method of transportation; people don't own cars so they can smell fumes. Thus the act of smoking in a public place constitutes a voluntary engagement, disregarding the effects caused unto others, by smoking. This is especially sad when parents smoke in front of children. Not only does it set a bad example but it also materially affects their health. I hope nobody here subjects their children to their own smoking. It is unfortunate that carbon monoxide is so noxious and toxic, but the auto industry is close to developing green cars which produce far less pollutants. While there may be tobacco manufactures interested in going green, it is far less evident to me. What I see from them is the continual pursuit of money at the expense of its customer's health. Its employees are still extensions of the firm; people work at their job because their desire to earn money overrides the ramifications of the product to which they aide in manufacturing. I can appreciate that many have no choice but to work there given their financial situation, so I hope it does at least enter their conscious at some point in their lives how their contribution to a tobacco firm has benefited humanity.

As an interesting aside, I first "smoked" when I was 3 years old. My father apparently gave me a puff which (naturally) I coughed up. Haven't ever picked up a cigarette. The smell puts me off.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Nicely put +1
dhazer
14 years ago
Another thing people feel free to not mention but i will. Alot of people cut us smokers down but yet won't thank us for keeping your damn taxes down.

Lets take a look at Pa alone: This will certainly be a controversial, contentious issue," he said. But he also noted that there's an element of fairness at stake cigarettes are already taxed at $1.35 per pack and the governor would like to increase that tax to $1.45

Rendell pitched the tax anew in his budget address 36 cents an ounce on loose tobacco and 36 cents per 10 cigars and said it could raise $50 million in a full year.

then you add on this: Federal cigarette tax is $1.01 per pack

Thats $2.46 a pack of smokes of tax money the non smokers don't have to pay. So you ban smoking guess what is after that they will start taxing the hell out of alcohol, so then what we should ban booze also cuz that kills more people than cigs do.

Ya ya i get the health thing but gimmie a break anything you touch can cause you to die. Hell they are saying to much milk is not good for you, but yet back when i was a kid the slogan was milk does the body good.

Just wanted to throw out a different look at things. Now about the smoking in stadiums i think its backwards any hows. I have to laugh at these places that have smoking in a certain section under the bleachers but you can't smoke in the wide open air lol.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Rockmolder
14 years ago
So we have to thank you for letting us go throug health risks because you pay a lot of taxes? By all means, stop smoking, I'll pay a couple of Euro's more a year.

As for the car argument. First of all, a great post The Engineer. Second of all, taxes on fossil fuels are quite high aswell. We used to pay 48% excise(?) tax, 16% regular tax and the rest went towards the company selling it. And that was in 2005.

Both are bad, but cars are a necessity in some cases, smoking is never.
Cheesey
14 years ago
Like i said........if you don't want to be around smoke, don't go where they allow smoking.
Pretty simple if you ask me.
WHY do we need laws about it?

Thats what i do.........i stay away from places where they smoke.
Problem sloved.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I do not buy this idea that whiffing secondhand smoke is somehow worse than directly inhaling a vapor that has several thousand carcinogenic compounds.

I want to see the research studies that supposedly corroborate this idea that I personally believe is propagated by special-interest groups for their own benefit.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago

I do not buy this idea that whiffing secondhand smoke is somehow worse than directly inhaling a vapor that has several thousand carcinogenic compounds.

I want to see the research studies that supposedly corroborate this idea that I personally believe is propagated by special-interest groups for their own benefit.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Remember that those that inhale second hand smoke do not have the benefit of having the smoke filtered through the cigarette.

http://www.apa.org/journals/releases/fsh233266.pdf 

Something that took me 3 minutes to find. If it weren't for two exams this week I'd trawl through the thousands of articles supporting the notion that secondhand smoke negatively impacts on health.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
I don't dispute that there are negative effects associated with inhaling secondhand smoke -- one of the reasons why I avoid smoky environments whenever possible. I'm objecting to this hyperbolic notion that it's somehow MORE dangerous to inhale a relatively minuscule volume of secondhand smoke versus directly inhaling the smoke from as many as 20 or more cigarettes a day. One would have to go out of his way to inhale unnaturally vast quantities of air at close proximity for probably hours a day to even remotely approximate the amount of fumes a smoker takes in.

Not all cigarettes have filters, and pipes and cigars certainly do not.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago

I don't dispute that there are negative effects associated with inhaling secondhand smoke -- one of the reasons why I avoid smoky environments whenever possible. I'm objecting to this hyperbolic notion that it's somehow MORE dangerous to inhale a relatively minuscule volume of secondhand smoke versus directly inhaling the smoke from as many as 20 or more cigarettes a day.

Not all cigarettes have filters, and pipes and cigars certainly do not.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Obviously the argument isn't between a pack-a-day smoker and the occasional SHS non-smoker. If you normalise the amount inhaled, be it by molarity, parts per million, mg/L, whatever the measurement happens to be that explains the differential in carcinogenic properties between volumes generated from a filtered cigarette and secondhand smoke, then it is possible to say whether SHS smoke is or isn't more dangerous than directly smoking a cigarette (or concentration and chemical composition of SHS smoke vs direct smoking). As for results of that, I have none. If and when I have time I'll try and dig up something along those lines, as I'd be quite interested in finding out based upon pure chemistry and physics - there be no mothers against smokers agenda there.
blank
dhazer
14 years ago
I just don't get it because you don't smoke means noone should have the right to smoke? So if you drink and i don't then they should ban drinking would that be fair to you? Like cheesey says if you don't like smoke don't go in places you know they are smoking. i mean what s the image of a bar ( a smoke filled pub) Next person that walks up to me and tries to tell me my cig smoke is killing them i will grab them by the back of the neck and hold their faces by my tailpipe and say their now i am.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (6h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (7h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (23h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (23h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (23h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
11m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.