porky88
14 years ago
Well you got to factor in the draft that year which ironically I think is an A. Of course the draft didn't get any big contributions until really this season with Rodgers finally getting his shot, but none the less, the draft makes that off-season for Thompson seem much better especially where the Packers are right now.
RaiderPride
14 years ago
When exactly was it that Ted took control of the Packers......

Was it the year that he let Rivera and Whale go?

I am trying to remember how long he had been G.M. and, what was the exact day he took control of the Packers?

R.P.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
porky88
14 years ago
wiki says Jan 14th 2005 so yeah that was the year he released Sharper and I think Wahle. Rivera was a free agent and he chose not to resign him.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I thought we offered Sharper more money than he signed with for the Vikings? I thought it was his choice? I know we wanted him to take a paycut, but I think we released him, offered him a contract and he ended up taking less with the Vikings.

Longwell fled the coup too. He wanted to play in a controlled climate. He said he wanted to finish his career in a fair weather city or a dome team.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
I'd have to go year by year. I'm so far giving him an A in '09 but in '08, he got either a C- or a D+.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
bozz_2006
14 years ago

I thought we offered Sharper more money than he signed with for the Vikings? I thought it was his choice? I know we wanted him to take a paycut, but I think we released him, offered him a contract and he ended up taking less with the Vikings.

Longwell fled the coup too. He wanted to play in a controlled climate. He said he wanted to finish his career in a fair weather city or a dome team.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

plus having the choice of restaurants other than applebee's. what kind of douche needs more choice than what applebee's can provide?!?!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"bozz_2006" wrote:

plus having the choice of restaurants other than applebee's. what kind of douche needs more choice than what applebee's can provide?!?!

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I know this is going more off topic, but Greg Jennings went to Applebee's. 🙂 If it's good enough for Greg, it should be more than good enough for Ryan "Benedict" Longwell.

I would have liked us to have kept Longwell. I think that was out o Ted's hands though.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
14 years ago

wiki says Jan 14th 2005 so yeah that was the year he released Sharper and I think Wahle. Rivera was a free agent and he chose not to resign him.

"porky88" wrote:

I don't think it was so much that he chose not to resign Rivera as it was he had extremely limited resources to do it. The only reason he was not over the cap was by letting those three go. My recollection was after letting Sharper, Wahle, and Rivera go the Cap came out of the red to $1.9 mil.

The only way he keeps Rivera would have been to free cap space by cutting ties with other players salaries to get what he needed to sign him. To me thats just treading water and that's not what he was brought in to do.

I think Thompson realized the talent we did have here was getting old, the roster was paper thin, and the cap was horrendously bad off. The triple whammy.

I remember back then when that roster did not have any young players being developed that were going to be starters one day and would contribute. Wells. He's the only one I recall that would develope into a starter one day.

I also remember a high "wasted cap" number on salaries of players that were no longer on the team and a high number of players being paid the minimum to offset those numbers.

The DIFFERENCE in what Thompson has done is now the lower paid players are DRAFT PICKS with potential being compensated off of their rookie contracts VS. players picked up to fill the roster because the draft picks weren't good enough to stick.

Now we have a much more balanced Cap and a player developement program where younger talent can work themselves up and be ready to take over for a player that retires or leaves vs. looking up one day and saying "geez, what are we going to do about that?"

And if that player we need to fill a hole doesn't develope enough or fast enough Ted Thompson always has some tucked back now if he needs to fill a void.

Some tough decisions had to be made to get it to that point, or, he could have just fooled himself, and believed we were SB ready back in '05 and held off doing what was going to have to be done anyways.
"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
dfosterf (1h) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (1h) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (2h) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (2h) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18h) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Stefon Diggs' trade will not be processed as a post-June 1 designation, so that is just over $31 million in dead cap this year.
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : Bills trading WR Stefon Diggs to the Texans in exchange for a 2025 2nd-round pick. (via @rapsheet)
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Random Babble / Martha Careful

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16h / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.