dfosterf
14 years ago

I would say getting to the championship game was a pretty good achievement. Last year, injuries played a huge role in our record. Losing Williams to cleveland was bigger than most realize too. However, looking at the close games we lost last year and the close games we won the year before, I wopuld say there was not a huge drop off in our talent or abilities. The ball jsut didn't bounce our way, plus our schedule got much tougher.

Rhodes was fired for having no discipline with the team. Hell, Favre went to Bob Harlan after the thrid game and said there were huge problems. (and for your information, Favrwe himself told me that so it is not heresay)

Sherman was fired because of mediocre results, poor listening skills with his assts., and he never got over the fact his GM was taken away from him. While Sherman is a wonderful person, he was not a leader as he tried to do everything himself. he was unable to delagate to his assistants and then trust them enough to let them succeed.

It is much more than just record. The team is headed in the right direction. The talent is improving. The players buy into the system and their leaders. That is critical. Rhodes never haad it. Sherman lost it. And even Holmgren was losing it when he left. (lots of grumbling how the dictatorship of Mike's was wearing thin on the players)

If you look game by game from last season to the year before, you will see we were in the same amount of games, only the 13-3 year, we pulled almost everyone out while this past year we didn't (mainly defensive reasons) .

Another thing for everyone to remember. only one team in 32 teams (I think there are thrity two) wins the Superbowl every year. So statistically, every team should only win the Superbowl once every thrity two years, and get there once every 16 years. Anything more than that reflects on an ABOVE AVERAGE organization. We are that.

"SlickVision" wrote:

Awesome post! I agree, having Williams decide he wanted to leave the Packers and himself decide he wanted top five DT money when he's at best top 15, hurt us. Not because he was a helluva talent, more because he worked well with the rotation and his role was good for his talent.

"Trippster" wrote:

I agree with Slick Zero. Excellent post. I would have only added that from what I recall, a large part of what got Mike Sherman relieved of his duties as a GM in the first place was his perceived (by Harlan, not the fans, for God's sake) overly emotionally invested handling of the whole Mike McKenzie fiasco.

There is a lesson in that for all to ponder as they weigh the pluses and minuses of Ted Thompson and his "mis-handling" of Brett Favre...imo.

I also liked Slick's post.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago

I carved your argument to shreds. That's why you won't respond.

Ted NEVER put a team over the top, and he won't in Green Bay.

By your argument, Mike Sherman never should have been fired, by TED.

Man, is that all you got?

"TheOldMan" wrote:

I would say getting to the championship game was a pretty good achievement. Last year, injuries played a huge role in our record. Losing Williams to cleveland was bigger than most realize too. However, looking at the close games we lost last year and the close games we won the year before, I wopuld say there was not a huge drop off in our talent or abilities. The ball jsut didn't bounce our way, plus our schedule got much tougher.

Rhodes was fired for having no discipline with the team. Hell, Favre went to Bob Harlan after the thrid game and said there were huge problems. (and for your information, Favrwe himself told me that so it is not heresay)

Sherman was fired because of mediocre results, poor listening skills with his assts., and he never got over the fact his GM was taken away from him. While Sherman is a wonderful person, he was not a leader as he tried to do everything himself. he was unable to delagate to his assistants and then trust them enough to let them succeed.

It is much more than just record. The team is headed in the right direction. The talent is improving. The players buy into the system and their leaders. That is critical. Rhodes never haad it. Sherman lost it. And even Holmgren was losing it when he left. (lots of grumbling how the dictatorship of Mike's was wearing thin on the players)

If you look game by game from last season to the year before, you will see we were in the same amount of games, only the 13-3 year, we pulled almost everyone out while this past year we didn't (mainly defensive reasons) .

Another thing for everyone to remember. only one team in 32 teams (I think there are thrity two) wins the Superbowl every year. So statistically, every team should only win the Superbowl once every thrity two years, and get there once every 16 years. Anything more than that reflects on an ABOVE AVERAGE organization. We are that.

"Trippster" wrote:

The difference was Favre in that 13-3 year.

I can't see how you anyone can really deny it and want to be taken seriously, imo.

"TheOldMan" wrote:

How does the saying go. Oh yeah

BS
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
14 years ago

The difference was Favre in that 13-3 year.

I can't see how you anyone can really deny it and want to be taken seriously, imo.

"TheOldMan" wrote:

Uh, there were a LOT of factors that year. Denver/KC/SD Favre played a significant role. The Washington and Philadelphia wins were most assuredly NOT Favre - those two games were losing efforts on his part. In comparison, Rodgers did not have a single game last year where he threw for 0 TDs and 1+ INTs. In a lot of the wins, multiple factors were clicking for us so the games weren't even close.

I don't see why suggesting that multiple factors played a role would prevent anyone from taking me seriously.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I can't believe more people do not recognize the injuries to Cullen Jenkins and Nick Barnett as major contributors to our 6-10 record as well as Mason Crosby's unsuccessful attempts at game winning field goals.

All this other shit we digest on a daily basis in this forum is basically killing time until TC.
UserPostedImage
Trippster
14 years ago
I think the old man does have a point. However, it was not as big as one might think.

Favre performed well with out a doubt. But it was the defense that saved our ass on a number of occasions when we were down or tied. It was also the defense that put an end to the SD game after favre threw the touch to Jennings. It was also the defense that shut down KC's bid to come back after favres TD late in that game.

This year, Rodger did all that was asked of him every time but two in my opinion. Tennesee and Tampa.

Most of the other losses, he brought us back or put us up late in the game only to watch the defense fold like a plastic patio chair as I plop down in it.

The one tangable I think Favre brings is the "we will win no matter what," attitude and it is contagious. I am not sure Rodgers has been able to instill that with our offense however he may have but then they just didn't believe that ' last year' the defense woudl hold them up if needed.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
dfosterf
14 years ago

I can't believe more people do not recognize the injuries to Cullen Jenkins and Nick Barnett as major contributors to our 6-10 record as well as Mason Crosby's unsuccessful attempts at game winning field goals.

All this other shit we digest on a daily basis in this forum is basically killing time until TC.

"DakotaT" wrote:

All true.

Let me kill a little bit more of the time.

Injuries are not valid excuses arguments heading your way by others, sorry---can't do anything for you on that front, because many like to think in absolutes and worn generalizations and false truisms--- but I'm not going there...

instead-

I P E R S O N A L L Y...

thought that we had a big fall-off when Johnny Jolly was hurt, (and by extension, Williams was in) and came to the conclusion that with Jolly back we wouldn't miss Williams as much as his ardent supporters felt we would.

I personally thought that Ted made a wise decision at the time. I was personally pleasantly surprised when he got what he got in trade for Williams. I personally thought that we were about one too many on that DL, that it was nice to have rotation-wise, but felt that with Justin hopefully being able to play the next year with his at least functional skills with obvious potential during that time-frame, coupled with DT's historically taking significant time to develop anyway, statistically-speaking. (Go look at Haynesworth's #'s over 1st couple of years of his career as an example) that the move made quite a bit of sense. I personally felt like it was probably a tough call, was personally glad I don't have to make that kind of call, and noticed that my opinion seemed to be shared by most in these forums - at least most whose opinions I give a shit about.

I overestimated Jolly, underestimated (slightly, very slightly)--the value of that perceived "extra man" in the rotation, and was overly optimistic in my projection of Justin's development and capacity to remain injury free in the future.

I thought I was being fair at the time I made my personal assessments, and I think I am being fair with my evaluation of that assessment now.

In other words, I understood the rationale of why Ted did what he did, from all the information available. I also understand that I do not have all the information, and I further understand that this does NOT necessarily mean that having more information makes this type of decision any easier.

Personally, I think one hell of a lot of more people really ought to try and look at things in this manner, whenever "emotionally possible".

There--- coined a phrase.
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

Ok i have read alot of the posts and people fail to remember that the Pats make trades to get players and sign free agents. Remember Moss and Welker oh don't forget the likes of Thomas and Harrison, What does Ted Thompson do oh ya lets trade for a reject from Pittsburgh and also another reject from Buffalo so i guess we can be classified as running our team like the Pats.

Get real people we are no where near the likes of the Steelers and Pats.

Also remember the statement about not over paying for talent and that crap, well why did Rodgers get the huge contract for playing 7 games? He's Ted Thompson's son and has to be taken care of.

"dhazer" wrote:

Hazer, you do remember that Harrison was a "reject" several times over before he caught on w/ the Steelers, don't you? So why crap on this "reject"? You can't hold a guy up like that who came from the bottom and then act like another guy can't do it.
blank
14 years ago
Well the only reason he's crapping on the selection is because he's jumping 2 steps ahead into a hypothetical world and saying we won't keep Collins and Smith will be made starter over any other safety.
UserPostedImage
TheOldMan
14 years ago
Thanks Tripp.

You see, it's the "all or nothing mentality that gets me" on this site.

Well, NONE of it was AROD's fault because the defense would "always fold".

I happen to remember at least 2 GAME ENDING picks thrown by Rodgers last year, and there were times when his play was less than stellar. But no one want's to admit that. They point to his "stats", etc. Well, Jeff George had good stats too, but he was no winner in my book.

Favre, on the other hand, won games in '08 because of his ability to read defenses, and carve them up like the proverbial Christmas goose.

Favre was able to win and put games away, and AROD wasn't. Simple as that. Favre had no running game, and offensive line in '07, yet he was still able to win games, so the excuse that the team was injured, or not very good is invalid.

Favre was still able to win ball games, and AROD isn't, at this point in his career. If AROD will EVER able to put games on his back and win them, well...that remains to be seen. The jury is still out on that one.

But we know that Favre was/is able to do it.
Truth be known, I'm TT's baby!
longtimefan
14 years ago
I just love the Brett homers that come on other forums and expect to get the coddling that they get on Bretts message board..

Oldman, tell me how Brett gets credit for the win vs Philly, and Washington in 07?

You know he threw for 392 yards and had 3 ints but no tds?