Trippster
14 years ago

"Heres hoping he plays until hes 50."

Does this guy really want to see a fifty-year-old man playing football? There is something almost ghoulish about some of these Favre boosters.

"his passion is off the charts...his enthusiasm is unrivaled...."

It used to be. It's not anymore. He can no longer sustain it for long periods of time.

"It was during that time that Favre learned that openness and honesty can blow up in your face...."

Honesty and openness? All I can say is: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

"The popular refrain goes that if he falls flat, hell be remembered as the quarterback who tried to put one over on Father Time instead of as the dynamic swashbuckler of his prime. Thats nonsense."

He goes on to mention Mays and Ali. Usually you hear comparisons to Namath and Unitas, and it begins something like this: "When you think of Joe Namath, you don't remember the old quarterback who played too long." But in fact that IS what a lot of people remember. And that's why it gets mentioned over and over, even by people who claim not to remember it.

"There are reports that he wants nothing to do with organized team activities or minicamps and questions whether he needs a full training camp. And how does this make him different from Roger Clemens, who had a sweetheart deal late in his career?"

Now we are truly in La-La Land. Clemens was a pitcher. He played every five days or so, and there was no need for him to collaborate with his teammates. All he had to do was get up there and throw the ball. A QB needs to have a way more intricate relationship with his team than a pitcher does, and that takes time and commitment.

In addition, this guy never even mentions the fact that Favre specifically wants to play for the arch-rival of the team where he built his legacy. That's what has so many fans angry. I think most of us would be fine with him continuing to play just for the sake of playing. But it's about revenge against his former team. That's low-class behavior.

"Greg C." wrote:

I don't think it is low class, I think it is natural. You better believe that if my company wanted to get rid of me because they felt my assistant could do a better job that I could, I would march right accross the street to our competition and make sure my old company knew of my success.

This is not a hobby or a fan situation for Favre. It is employment and employee/employer relations. The business is unusual and the pay extreme, but basic employment environment still remains.

And Cheesey, Aili's condition is NOT a result of his taking a beating as much as he has severe parkinson's desease which is a deteriation of the nervous system. According to those who know him he is still sharp as a tack. he cannot communicate as well because of his disease.

Football is inherently dangerous regardless of age. A big reason Favre has stayed healthy is because of how he backs up as soon as he releases the ball. this makes it less likely to step into a vicious tackle or knee injury.

If I am not mistaken, isnt Kurt Warner 38,39, or 40? Why isnt everyone having issues with him still playing? If I am not mistaken, He too had a good year last year. As you get older, your experience can make up for what the body cannot deliver anymore.

We have to look at it from a players side and not a fans. Fans put emotion and loyalty, and rivalry into the equation. That is not neccesarily good for business decissions.

Revenge is one of the greatest motivations known to man. Who wouldn't want their player to be highly motivated? What better way for Favre to "stick it to Tompson" than to take another team to the SB and win. Oh, and along the way, you can directly beat your old team twice. Minnesota gives him the best shot.

Another thing, I think that Favre just has familiarity with the central division. He has many friends just from playing those teams and at those stadiums all these years.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
Greg C.
14 years ago

I don't think it is low class, I think it is natural. You better believe that if my company wanted to get rid of me because they felt my assistant could do a better job that I could, I would march right across the street to our competition and make sure my old company knew of my success.

This is not a hobby or a fan situation for Favre. It is employment and employee/employer relations. The business is unusual and the pay extreme, but basic employment environment still remains.

"Trippster" wrote:

You make a good point, but there is more to it than that. You don't have "fans" at work who have a stake in your decision. Some people think it's overly quaint to factor the fans into all this, but I don't. The fans are the people who worship professional athletes and pay millions to watch them play. For a star athlete to slap them in the face like this is not something that will be taken lightly, nor should it.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

I don't think it is low class, I think it is natural. You better believe that if my company wanted to get rid of me because they felt my assistant could do a better job that I could, I would march right across the street to our competition and make sure my old company knew of my success.

"Greg C." wrote:

You make a good point, but there is more to it than that. You don't have "fans" at work who have a stake in your decision. Some people think it's overly quaint to factor the fans into all this, but I don't. The fans are the people who worship professional athletes and pay millions to watch them play. For a star athlete to slap them in the face like this is not something that will be taken lightly, nor should it.

"Trippster" wrote:

I argued this point with Zero.. but I am still not convinced that it is a slap in the face of the fans.

Did the fans back Brett in the parting of the relationship last year.. not most as they shouldn't have. Not because he wasn't right or just to do what he thought he needed to do, but because a decision needed to be made upon the future of the Packers.. they made a decision and the door was closed.

Brett has made a couple of decisions I don't agree with, however he is a person, "god like" and worshiped not withstanding, that has to make some personal decisions for himself. Albeit it is probably a factor in his decision, the fans, I guarantee that they aren't at the top of the list and shouldn't be.

I make decisions in a certain order, (God, Family, Me, Friends.. ).

I can't speak to his list or order.. but Brett has somethings that apparently are dear to him.. and part of that is some unfinished business with Thompson. Not the fans or people of Green Bay... so as a fan, how am I supposed to pass judgment upon Brett for things he feels he needs to do as a person. I may not like or enjoy it, but I certainly don't take it personal as a action towards me.

James Lofton taught me a lesson years ago.. never become to attached to a player or idolize him past what he does upon the field. Off the field, he is a living breathing person like the rest of us.

To relate this in terms of the Packer blogosphere.. I rarely visit the Packerforum.com site.. it is under new ownership but I still have a bad experience with the site from ol' Blueyes.. is it unfair to the new owner... maybe... but it is just something I personally made a choice about..

Yes this is a microcosm of this situation, but without walking in Brett's shoes how can we honestly sit here and pass this sort of resentment towards him as a man.

In the end, it is clear the Packers have moved on.. it is really time the we the fans move on. It is clear that Brett is unable to move on.. as much as I wish he would personally, it is hard for me to take offense to him not being able to.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
dfosterf
14 years ago
Seems to me that Brett's beef with Ted is kind of like when two posters get into a pissing match. Brett is ignoring the other posters' posts. (The fans).

All he sees are Ted's.

Ted hasn't posted anything in a long time, but possibly Brett still is.
longtimefan
14 years ago

"Greg C." wrote:

TY!!!

I hate the "regular job" comparisons...

Those "employees" do not need to work to feed their families. So can't use that excuse.

The things left are their emotions of hurt and bitterness. Fine, I get they feel the same as joe 6 pack and want to stick it to their boss..

but he is affecting many many more people and lives

This is a sport where if he is just trying to get back at Ted, and lets face it its still a reason, it could blow up in his face.......

not to mention the other 50+ people on the team including the coaches and front office people just to cure his revenge itch..

There is much much at stake then me trying to fed my family
dd80forever
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

"Greg C." wrote:

I argued this point with Zero.. but I am still not convinced that it is a slap in the face of the fans.

Did the fans back Brett in the parting of the relationship last year.. not most as they shouldn't have. Not because he wasn't right or just to do what he thought he needed to do, but because a decision needed to be made upon the future of the Packers.. they made a decision and the door was closed.

Brett has made a couple of decisions I don't agree with, however he is a person, "god like" and worshiped not withstanding, that has to make some personal decisions for himself. Albeit it is probably a factor in his decision, the fans, I guarantee that they aren't at the top of the list and shouldn't be.

I can't speak to the his list or order.. but Brett has somethings that apparently are dear to him.. and part of that is some unfinished business with Thompson. Not the fans or people of Green Bay... so as a fan, how am I supposed to pass judgment upon Brett for things he feels he needs to do as a person. I may not like or enjoy it, but I certainly don't take it personal as a action towards me.

James Lofton taught me a lesson years ago.. never become to attached to a player or idolize him past what he does upon the field. Off the field, he is a living breathing person like the rest of us.

To relate this in terms of the Packer blogosphere.. I rarely visit the Packerforum.com site.. it is under new ownership but I still have a bad experience with the site from ol' Blueyes.. is it unfair to the new owner... maybe... but it is just something I personally made a choice about..

Yes the is a microcosm of this situation, but without walking in Brett's shoes how can we honestly sit here and pass this sort of resentment towards him as a man.

In the end, it is clear the Packers have moved on.. it is really time the we the fans move on. It is clear that Brett is unable to move on.. as much as I wish he would personally, it is hard for me to take offense to him not being able to.

"Trippster" wrote:

Great Post.

The fans don't want what is best for the man, The fans want what is best for their superhero memory.

If you care about Brett, outside of the fact he was the QB of your favorite team, and actually want him to be happy, you would want Brett to do what he wants to do.

What he's doing now is the same reason you cheered like hell for the guy. He's is the ultra-competitor. I would really expect nothing less from him.

It's overly apparent that this isn't about Brett as much as it is each individuals fans fairy-tale ending.
blank
TheOldMan
14 years ago

"dd80forever" wrote:

"pack93z" wrote:

I can't speak to the his list or order.. but Brett has somethings that apparently are dear to him.. and part of that is some unfinished business with Thompson. Not the fans or people of Green Bay... so as a fan, how am I supposed to pass judgment upon Brett for things he feels he needs to do as a person. I may not like or enjoy it, but I certainly don't take it personal as a action towards me.

Yes the is a microcosm of this situation, but without walking in Brett's shoes how can we honestly sit here and pass this sort of resentment towards him as a man.

"Greg C." wrote:

Great Post.

The fans don't want what is best for the man, The fans want what is best for their superhero memory.

If you care about Brett, outside of the fact he was the QB of your favorite team, and actually want him to be happy, you would want Brett to do what he wants to do.

What he's doing now is the same reason you cheered like hell for the guy. He's is the ultra-competitor. I would really expect nothing less from him.

It's overly apparent that this isn't about Brett as much as it is each individuals fans fairy-tale ending.

"Trippster" wrote:

And the fear that Brett Favre may come back and bite them in the ass...
Truth be known, I'm TT's baby!
dd80forever
14 years ago
Why is it magnified 100x over with Brett. Do you think he is the first player to want to stick it to his old team?

Look, Brett was told he wasn't wanted back. He didn't unretire and then demand a trade when he wasn't wanted. He tried to come back to GB. Put that on Thompson if it bothers you. You can't blame Brett for having a "desire to play".
blank
TheOldMan
14 years ago
No.

Not OUR Ted Thompson, never!

He's as innocent as a little lamb in all of this. He washes the feet of leppers...

How DARE you suggest that Ted Thompson is nothing but pure as the driven snow.

[/end sarcasm]
Truth be known, I'm TT's baby!
Pack93z
14 years ago

There is much much at stake then me trying to fed my family

"longtimefan" wrote:

Whom said anything about 'feeding his family'.

No it is settling something that is a personal...

So it becomes a employee verses employer type of disagreement.. if Joe Six pack had the financial freedom to take a job that would be able to validate his view upon the ending of the working relationship.. I bet more times than not that Joe does it.

Brett can still play the game.. a team is still interested in his services and Brett gets to validate his position to someone that disagreed... it isn't about money or 'feeding his family'... it is about the pride that every man has in himself.

Sometimes that pride seems foolish from the outside looking in.. but not from the inside.

Brett is human.. he bleeds, feels, and has emotions just like the rest of us.. so we are to condemn him for acting upon it when he has the means and the opportunity.

Take the focus off the money and look at the dynamics of it all.. basic story that is played out every day throughout the workplace.. as rare as it may be.. this time the employee gets to act upon his more than likely wish. Recapturing his pride.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"