go.pack.go.
14 years ago

I don't think the whole coach/GM thing has worked out for anyone to any real extent, so if he did come back I'd want to be as either HC or GM - not both.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

*cough* Bill Belichick *cough*
UserPostedImage
warhawk
14 years ago

Again though your ignoring the question that is being presented.

I don't believe the Packers will do bad this year. I think they'll probably make the playoffs due to a lot of factors, but IF you and I are wrong which we could be, a change is needed.

Not many better coaches out there than Mike Holmgrem and IF you could get him to keep Dom Capers on, you'd have Holmgrem installing his offense and Capers continuing to install his defense.

That of course would be another factor.

I also liked to add as far as being a QB guru or QB friendly, Holmgrem is one of the best of All Time. He worked with Montana and he worked with Steve Young. Oh and Brett Favre as well as Matt Hasselbeck.

All of those guys are better than the guys under McCarthy who've developed and those right now are Aaron Brooks, Marc Bulger, Jake Delhomme, Brett Favre for a few years, and now Aaron Rodgers.

"porky88" wrote:

Well Pork I will agree if we lose 10 ballgames straight up with no insane number of injuries that were to cripple us beyond competitiveness then the heat will be on.

As far as development goes you have to look at the material they have had to work with. Jake Delhomme is actually a testimony for getting the most out of a player that doesnt' have half the tools of a Montana or Young.

McCarthy has been right by Rodgers' side for four years now and his development era is coming to a close vs. now applying it and getting more experience. I would be hardpressed to believe Holmgren could come in now and get more out of Rodgers than McCarthy and would say visa versa if it had been Holmgren working with him from the beginning as well.

I will agree though if they push McCarthy out Holmgren would be certainly somebody to give a hard look at. For me, however, it would be a shame to see McCarthy go. He, like all HC's has his strong area and that happens to be on the offensive side of the ball. Considering he did not get what you might consider stellar play from his O line they still managed to put up the 5th best scoring offense which is pretty remarkable.

Where the problem for him lie in the fact he's responsible for the entire staff and the defense let him down horribly.

If he had the DC Holmgren had we wouldn't be having this discussion and McCarthy got the message so hopefully we are now headed right straight towards '96.
"The train is leaving the station."
Pack93z
14 years ago
People seem to forget that in the first couple of years of the Holmgren and Wolf era we multiple times didn't improve our record and seemed unable to get over the hump.. albeit the seasons never ended below .500.. but it wasn't like it all came together in a single season..

Building a long term competitive team takes time..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
14 years ago
jesus h you guys. unbelievable. you all claim to not be "fair weather fans" and while that may be true about the team in general, the very minute we lose a goddamn game you all lube up your index fingers and start pointing them up the anuses of the coaching staff and GM's.

unbelievable.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Yerko
14 years ago
Holmgren was on ESPN Chicago this morning and he talked about coming back to coaching next year. He said he will be back FOR SURE in 2010 and that he is already enjoying his time off and is doing things he has always wanted to do in life.
He talked to John Jurkovic (ex-packer during Holmgren era) and they were talking a little bit about the NFC North. Talked about Favre but nothing about the whole back and forth thing, talked about Cutler and said he is a great quarterback, but at the same time mocked the fact that they were ranked #4 this year.

Anyways, I voted to take him in as HC. Why not? Someone said it earlier, that any coach that encountered the injuries and problems he came across with Seattle would not have done well.
Then again, who knows how he is going to feel after a year off.

When asked about Favre's return he said Favre sounded sincere when they talked and does not think he will return to the game. However, he added at the end that he has been wrong 4 times now...lol.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

jesus h you guys. unbelievable. you all claim to not be "fair weather fans" and while that may be true about the team in general, the very minute we lose a goddamn game you all lube up your index fingers and start pointing them up the anuses of the coaching staff and GM's.

unbelievable.

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

Applauded mostly because the bolded part made me laugh.
blank
IronMan
14 years ago

unbelievable.

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

Does firing the entire defensive staff after one losing season make McCarthy a "fair weather" head coach?
Cheesey
14 years ago

I personally believe his stubbornness and his ego cost us SB 32 and had he stuck around instead of wanting to call all the shots the Packers would have at least one more championship now. I said good riddance at the time and would hate to see him return.

"dingus" wrote:

Yup....thats the way i see it.
I have heard an ex-Packer player saying Holmgren cost the Packers SB32.
He said his stubborness at not being willing to run the ball more cost us the game. (I saw the player say this on TV, but for the life of me I can't remember who the player was) He went on to say that the other coaches AND the players were telling him to pound the ball more, and he ignored them.
Maybe if he had been willing to listen, and not be a control freak, we could have beat Denver.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago

People seem to forget that in the first couple of years of the Holmgren and Wolf era we multiple times didn't improve our record and seemed unable to get over the hump.. albeit the seasons never ended below .500.. but it wasn't like it all came together in a single season..

Building a long term competitive team takes time..

"pack93z" wrote:

The thing is, who cares?

We never had a losing season. His record speaks for itself:
1992 - 9-7
1993 - 10-8
1994 - 10-8
1995 - 13-6
1996 - 16-3
1997 - 15-4
1998 - 11-6

No losing seasons, one SB ring. 75 wins and 37 losses in that time period for an amazing .670 %.

The thing is, it did come together all in one season. We went from being losers to winners in only one season. 1991, the year before Mike Holmgren, we were 4-12 and only better than the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFC Central. A year later, we're 9-7 and barely miss the Playoffs. A year after that, we're in the Playoffs. A year after that, we're in the Playoffs, but you can tell we're improving even if the record was the same. A year after that, we're taken seriously as SB contentders. A year after that, we win the dang thing.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
warhawk
14 years ago

unbelievable.

"IronMan" wrote:

Does firing the entire defensive staff after one losing season make McCarthy a "fair weather" head coach?

"TwinkieGorilla" wrote:

I would say it makes him a smart coach. Look, half way thru '06 people wanted Sanders head on a platter and McCarthy stuck by him. It wasn't until Mike McCarthy stuck his ear plugs in the ground after we lost in the last seconds AGAIN against Chicago that Sanders was history.

Sanders had his chance to CONTINUE momentum and instead the defense went the other way. That's how you go from DC to Line Coach in a big hurry.
Sanders was somewhat of a gamble to begin with in that he had not been a DC prior to being promoted and when your defense loses five ball games in the last couple minutes your not going to be given any long leash.
"The train is leaving the station."
Fan Shout
dfosterf (12h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (12h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (13h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (16h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (16h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (19h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (20h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
7h / Around The NFL / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.