ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

I like the 4-3 better than the 3-4.
Why are the Packers switching to a 3-4 defense again??

seeing as Justin Harrell is a former 1st round pick, if he is healthy, i see no reason why he should not challenge for a starting de spot.

last year, the packers had no pass rush, i look forward to seeing Harrell, Pickett, Raji, can pressure the QB.

"dhpackr" wrote:

Main reasons -

- Stop the run; 3-4 D stops the run more effectively ... how does it do that? Well if the big 3 D guys stop it in the middle the OLBers can either penetrate or stop the run from the outside; thus effectively having 5 guys up front instead of 4.

- To confuse the offense <<< this is the main reason IMO. All last year with bob sanders defense; we hardly ever rushed the QB and when we did I could often tell when we were going to do this - and if I can see this from a casual observer I'm sure the opposing offenses could see this.

The 3-4 allows us to rush with 0 1 or both OLBers or even a ILB if so choosen (but theses guys usually stay back). Alot more options can be had with rushing the passer and this is usually done much more so in a 3-4 then a typical 4-3 (as I'm sure you could of seen last season we mainly rushed with only 4 guys and the offense knew this and so they usually blocked all 4 guys fairly well. Hence why we hardly ever got to the opposing QB and he could pick us apart).

- I assume that dom capers came here to install the 3-4; I dont think we decided to do the 3-4 and picked up capers cuz he could do it. (dont remember). But since we picked up DC and he has taught this defense successfully in a few different organizations ... now it's our turn.

- Kevin Greene said the 3-4 OLBers have the most important roll of them all; besides a solid NT. But the OLBers are required to do the most work but also have the most fun.

So this is why we are going to a 3-4

#1 Better run stoppage
#2 Confuse opposing offenses
#3 Better ability to rush the QB

From what I read we are slightly more vulnerable in the middle with short passes (having only 2 mid linebackers as opposed to 3). Hence why having our OLBers to be able to cover is ideal.

"Dulak" wrote:

great post, really good. I hope matthews (who i figure Ted Thompson drafted for olb) is a guy that can cover te and rb because i feel pretty confident if it falls into kampmans lap, opposing teams will exploit him on a regular basis.

"dhpackr" wrote:

Just my own opinion, but I think Matthews was drafted (over more pure pass rushers like Sintim) precisely because he does project well to handle coverage in those short zones (think Harrison's interception in the SB) - he's there to take that role and allow Kampman to concentrate on rushing the passer.

Don't get me wrong: I think he'll rush the QB himself a good deal, but he's got all-around skills and I think that's why he was the choice.
blank
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

What is great about our two #1 round picks is that both can play in either the 3-4 or the 4-3 (and we will play both) and they both can stay in the game on third down.

For those that really didn't want to see Raji what we get is a guy that will stop up the middle on early run downs and can shift over and penetrate from DT on passing downs when we put four hands down.

What we get from Mathews is not only a pass rusher but a guy that can cover so he can stay in the game and be effective.

What some people here are missing is that while we could have traded back gotten more picks and settled with a Ron Brace and Sintim is that these guys are situational players and the opposing team will not always cooperate and call a play the situation might warrant.

You can try to platoon players to their strengths but then it becomes much more of a chess game then in if you have players that can do the job regardless of what the opposing team calls.

Having guys with the talent to be able to adjust with the play call and be effective and can be in there all three downs makes us much more dangerous. The offense won't know what we will do whereas you put situational players in, i.e. Sintim, they pretty much know he's there to rush the QB or a Brace who they know probably won't create much penetration if they pass.

This is the difference between cornerstone type players that makes what you do effective vs. platoon and depth players that play a smaller roll in the success you hope to achieve.

It was much more critical, IMO, that we target cornerstone players for this 3-4 that we will be moving towards and fill in the balance of guys that will contribute from there.

"warhawk" wrote:

Great explanation - thanks.
blank
earthquake
14 years ago
This is how i see it, going with Chillar over Barnett for injury concerns and nothing else, if healthy i expect Barnett to be in, but not sure that will be the case opening weekend.

3-4  

Collins
                                    Bigby
                   Chillar  Hawk
       Matthews                       Kampman
                Jenkins  Picket  Raji
Harris                                        Woodson

4-3

Collins
                                    Bigby
              Matthews  Chillar  Hawk

Jenkins  Picket  Raji  Kampman

Nickle

Collins
                                    Bigby
                    Matthews Chillar
      Williams                   

blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Very impressive use of the Code box!
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago

This is how i see it, going with Chillar over Barnett for injury concerns and nothing else, if healthy i expect Barnett to be in, but not sure that will be the case opening weekend.

3-4  

Collins
                                    Bigby
                   Chillar  Hawk
       Matthews                       Kampman
                Jenkins  Picket  Raji

4-3

Collins
                                    Bigby
              Matthews  Chillar  Hawk

Nickle

Collins
                                    Bigby
                    Matthews Chillar
      Williams                   

"earthquake" wrote:

I see you have chillar in there quite a bit - barnett was excellent pre-injury. And although I liked chillar with his pass-coverage I'm not sure how good he will be with tackleing.
I have a feeling that barnett will be in the game a bit more then chillar but well see ...

We will be playing the 4-3 most of the time next season (well as told by DC when he was hired) ...
So I wonder how well those front 4 guys will do - jenkins, pickett and raji and then kampman.

I think they should do very well - as long as jenkins fully recovers (anyone here anything yet on his injury status) and matthews can always pop in to blitz when needed.

I really hope we keep man to man with our corners ... are we planning on playing zone next season with them?
Rockmolder
14 years ago
I'd like to have Barnett in there aswell. He might be undersized, but we should give it a shot. Or are you anticipating a trade or so?

And I don't like our corners being offside the entire time.
Dulak
14 years ago

I'd like to have Barnett in there aswell. He might be undersized, but we should give it a shot. Or are you anticipating a trade or so?

"Rockmolder" wrote:

ya I think barnett led our team in tackles the past few years
he wont get traded at least this year IMO ... but if he is still injured not sure

ya I loved watching woodson and harris dog the opposing receivers the whole game... I can just imagine it must of really pissed them off.

I can imagine them getting even more picks this season with some pressure on the QB
gergobacsi
14 years ago
In what position do you guys think Jeremy Thompson can contribute on the Packers' new 3-4 and 4-3?
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"Dulak" wrote:

ya I loved watching woodson and harris dog the opposing receivers the whole game... I can just imagine it must of really pissed them off.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I was reffering to the Offsides penalty, because our corners are playing past our D-line in the code.

Anyway, I asume you're after the press coverage? I'm hoping we'll run that aswell. I doubt that Harris will be able to cover receivers very long when he doesn't get that extra jam. He isn't the fastest (anymore).

In what position do you guys think Jeremy Thompson can contribute on the Packers' new 3-4 and 4-3?

"gergobacsi" wrote:

I asume he might play some rotational OLB in the 3-4 and rotational DE in the 4-3. I think he has a bigger chance to see the field in the 3-4 than in the 4-3 though, but that's just a hunch.

Makes you think though, our defense will most likely be made up off (nearly) the excact same personel in both the 4-3 and the 3-4. That ought to easen the transition alot.
earthquake
14 years ago
No i dont think Chillar will beat Barnett our or anything like that, i'm just worried that he may not be fully healthy on opening day. I full expect him to take over the starting role at some point, and wont be surprised if he was ready to go in the opener, just a little worried is all. In that scenerio i think Chillar has the best skills(coverage mainly) to play the position Barnett will be expected to play.

I also think i could have been a little more creative with the front 4 in the nickle. Lets say this for the nickle:

Thompson , Jenkins, Raji, Kampman.

I dont really see Matthews popping it at DE in a 4-3 or nickle, i think they'll have a couple converted/Undersized DEs on the roster that would fit that position a little better, like Thompson, Wynn or Montgomery.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (16h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (17h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (20h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (23h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (28-Mar) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (28-Mar) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Around The NFL / Zero2Cool

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

28-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.