Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
You want my 9 offensive line man on the active roster.. today.. gut feel since we can't see how they have progressed.

Chad Clifton
Daryn Colledge
Duke Preston
Jason Spitz
Josh Sitton
T.J. Lang

Start the season on the roster, but when Mark returns.. one will exit
Jamon Meredith
Breno Giacomini
Scott Wells

Practice Squad
Dane Randolph
Probably another one of the youngin's

PUP
Mark Tauscher

So is it really a stretch to put Levi over Wells or Breno? Oh, and Breno could go to the practice squad along with Barbre I believe.

Barbre, Wells, Breno, Moll better come into camp tight and ready to roll.. or I think they will be looking for employment.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
beast
14 years ago

So is it really a stretch to put Levi over Wells or Breno? Oh, and Breno could go to the practice squad along with Barbre I believe.

"pack93z" wrote:

I could take Levi over Wells.

But why take a one year starter (maybe... if he's not injured like he has been year after year) over maybe future starters in Breno and Barbre is silly.

Not sure why you take Breno over Barbre... Barbre has shown he can play in the NFL unlike Breno who has he been on an active roster?

Also I don't think Barbre could be put on the PS. I think he's been active too many game but I don't know all of the rule for the PS.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago

Not sure why you take Breno over Barbre... Barbre has shown he can play in the NFL unlike Breno who has he been on an active roster?

"beast" wrote:

When did this happen? I could swear he was given ever opportunity to beat out the inconsistent Colledge and couldn't on a straight up basis. Hell they went with Moll at tackle as a better option in games last season.

Yes I seen Barbre on the field.. and no I wasn't impressed. But he could come in, have improved and make the team better.

Also I don't think Barbre could be put on the PS. I think he's been active too many game but I don't know all of the rule for the PS.

"Beast" wrote:

Very well could be.. I didn't take the time to research the exact ruling and number of games he was active.

But the point here is this.. we are not sitting rock solid on the offensive line.. we have potential players, but we have had that since 06.. my point simply is, if you have a chance to improve your team and it doesn't cost a ton.. why wouldn't you do it.

Word is he is looking at Seattle, as insurance.. so that speaks that he is open to competing for a job. Why not sign him and let him fight for a spot in camp?

Last time I checked, signing a contract now doesn't ensure you are on the roster in September. Unless you get a sizable signing bonus.. you earn your way onto the team.

Now.. if we had depth like we have at a solid position such as receiver.. then I would tend to agree with you.. why not take as many looks at the youngsters as you can.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
beast
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

When did this happen? I could swear he was given ever opportunity to beat out the inconsistent Colledge and couldn't on a straight up basis. Hell they went with Moll at tackle as a better option in games last season.

"beast" wrote:

"Inconsistent" Colledge was the best OL last year....

They didn't let Barbre try OT.... until NOW... they went with Moll because Moll was suppose to back-up the OT and Barbre was suppose to back-up Colledge.

Yes I seen Barbre on the field.. and no I wasn't impressed. But he could come in, have improved and make the team

"pack93z" wrote:

You weren't impressed that when Mike McCarthy finally made the long over due call of benching Clifton that game and sending in Barbre the team started moving the ball?

"pack93z" wrote:

Very well could be.. I didn't take the time to research the exact ruling and number of games he was active.

But the point here is this.. we are not sitting rock solid on the offensive line.. we have potential players, but we have had that since 06.. my point simply is, if you have a chance to improve your team and it doesn't cost a ton.. why wouldn't you do it.

"Beast" wrote:

I agree..... but bring in an injury prone vet player on the down side of their career for a short time waiting for someone else to develop behind him while cutting someone that could develop isn't smart.

If you want to have someone develop why would you cut someone that could... that's the main goal.

Word is he is looking at Seattle, as insurance.. so that speaks that he is open to competing for a job. Why not sign him and let him fight for a spot in camp?

Last time I checked, signing a contract now doesn't ensure you are on the roster in September. Unless you get a sizable signing bonus.. you earn your way onto the team.

Now.. if we had depth like we have at a solid position such as receiver.. then I would tend to agree with you.. why not take as many looks at the youngsters as you can.

"pack93z" wrote:

For the same reason Ted Thompson hasn't signed any FA over the hill lately... because you don't want to take time and space away from the young guys to develop... the Packers ain't looking for these one year stop gap nonsense but are looking long term... and long term you want young develop guys more than on the downside of their career injury prone guys....
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
nice post beast +1
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago

"beast" wrote:

Is that really saying alot with the number of breakdown's in protection and our pathetic run blocking?

While I would argue that assessment, footage doesn't lie and I would give that "best" nod to Spitz, my overall point is we didn't have a single legitimate NFL quality starter game in and out on the offensive line. Period.

Three years in the making and we still watch Colledge struggle to read a stunt correctly, utilize proper leverage and keep his feet in the proper placement. This is game to game, sometimes even snap to snap within the game.. Colledge apparently lacks the proper focus to line up and consistently nail his assignment.

I will stick by my assessment, Colledge is not a down to down consistent offensive lineman up til this point. IMO, he fights his natural upright stance that a tackle would use and with the thicker interior defensive lineman, when he gets high he gets in trouble.

Take Colledge an put him on a team with good line play inside and his ass isn't starting at guard.. I can guarantee that.

For the same reason Ted Thompson hasn't signed any FA over the hill lately... because you don't want to take time and space away from the young guys to develop... the Packers ain't looking for these one year stop gap nonsense but are looking long term... and long term you want young develop guys more than on the downside of their career injury prone guys....

"beast" wrote:

This here is one of my biggest peeves about Thompson's approach, and it isn' t that I disagree with building the core of the roster with youth.

It simply is, if you have nothing but youth or inconsistency at positions, it is not the optimal place to have players developing on the fly in week in and out starting activity.

In year four of his building of the roster, we have little to show for allowing all this youth continuing to play on the offensive line and continue to struggle week to week. You look to the bench to try and find stability and consistency, and all you have is more youth and lack of consistency.. especially along the offensive line.

I strongly argue that Colledge, Spitz and to a lesser degree Moll have grown marginally over this tenure. Behind then each year is another wave of young green lineman, thus the interior of our line has been wildly inconsistent as a whole.

In a perfect world, one would have a blend of veterans to play in spots or starting while the youngsters are developing. Sometimes if a young player has the right makeup, you start him and continue to play him in excess, but the majority of the time that is one spot along the line with experience and stability around him.

Yearly, especially on the offensive line, it is not ideal to have a depth chart of 1st and 2nd year players either starting or playing extended amounts of time with nothing but youth and inconsistency around them.. it is a recipe poor line play overall.

Think our line play has been spotty with Clifton and Tauscher manning the tackle spots.. just wait til you get a load of Colledge, Barbre or Moll out there with their spurts of inconsistency and no veteran to turn to. Flynn or Brohm better be ready..
AJistheHawk50
14 years ago
Jamon Meredith should be on the roster.. he is a good rookie. he slid in the draft not because of stability issues on his play. his play was adquate but with his behavior. Meredith was a whiner some said and didn't work hard enough. it sound from what i heard that he was angry that someone had said that to him and he seems very determined to prove them wrong. i would be delighted to bring him on our roster and in two or three years see him starting. Mel kiper thought he was one of the best players on the board at our draft so that says something too.
blank
warhawk
14 years ago
93, I would say your assessment is harsh to put it mildly. You and I watch every single play the Packers run so all the impurities are vivid but the overall numbers that are produced shows how we stack up against all other teams.
If were THAT BAD how can the numbers be that good?

For one thing, the ZBS is not the place to go looking for consistancy and actually will make an OL look bad more times than good. So if your looking for consistancy play in-play out petition for a power run game. You put a RB out there parallel to the LOS looking for a read and your going to see negative plays. I don't care how good your OL are.

We will be getting bigger and stronger in the middle with Sitton coming in there and probably Spitz or the kid from Buffalo at center and there are hints more power running is on the horizon.

I also wouldn't look at just the guys Ted Thompson has brought in here and the youth not developing as much as we would like. Our two OT's both had the worst years of their careers and would hope that at least Clifton will bounce back.

In fact, if I had a criticism of the OL it would be we did not get the play out of the OT spot on either side we have been accustomed to in the past. Especially in pass protection and at the end of the day thats the big deal to me because this team is built to win games by Arod getting the ball to his receivers. We are not going to lead this league rushing the ball nor with where the talent lies should we try.
"The train is leaving the station."
zombieslayer
14 years ago

You want my 9 offensive line man on the active roster.. today.. gut feel since we can't see how they have progressed.

Chad Clifton
Daryn Colledge
Duke Preston
Jason Spitz
Josh Sitton
T.J. Lang

Start the season on the roster, but when Mark returns.. one will exit
Jamon Meredith
Breno Giacomini
Scott Wells

Practice Squad
Dane Randolph
Probably another one of the youngin's

PUP
Mark Tauscher

Barbre, Wells, Breno, Moll better come into camp tight and ready to roll.. or I think they will be looking for employment.

"pack93z" wrote:

I have a feeling Mark T won't returned and will land on the Vikings. I hope I'm wrong, but I have that feeling.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
dd80forever
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Is that really saying alot with the number of breakdown's in protection and our pathetic run blocking?

While I would argue that assessment, footage doesn't lie and I would give that "best" nod to Spitz, my overall point is we didn't have a single legitimate NFL quality starter game in and out on the offensive line. Period.

Three years in the making and we still watch Colledge struggle to read a stunt correctly, utilize proper leverage and keep his feet in the proper placement. This is game to game, sometimes even snap to snap within the game.. Colledge apparently lacks the proper focus to line up and consistently nail his assignment.

I will stick by my assessment, Colledge is not a down to down consistent offensive lineman up til this point. IMO, he fights his natural upright stance that a tackle would use and with the thicker interior defensive lineman, when he gets high he gets in trouble.

Take Colledge an put him on a team with good line play inside and his ass isn't starting at guard.. I can guarantee that.

"beast" wrote:

This here is one of my biggest peeves about Thompson's approach, and it isn' t that I disagree with building the core of the roster with youth.

It simply is, if you have nothing but youth or inconsistency at positions, it is not the optimal place to have players developing on the fly in week in and out starting activity.

In year four of his building of the roster, we have little to show for allowing all this youth continuing to play on the offensive line and continue to struggle week to week. You look to the bench to try and find stability and consistency, and all you have is more youth and lack of consistency.. especially along the offensive line.

I strongly argue that Colledge, Spitz and to a lesser degree Moll have grown marginally over this tenure. Behind then each year is another wave of young green lineman, thus the interior of our line has been wildly inconsistent as a whole.

In a perfect world, one would have a blend of veterans to play in spots or starting while the youngsters are developing. Sometimes if a young player has the right makeup, you start him and continue to play him in excess, but the majority of the time that is one spot along the line with experience and stability around him.

Yearly, especially on the offensive line, it is not ideal to have a depth chart of 1st and 2nd year players either starting or playing extended amounts of time with nothing but youth and inconsistency around them.. it is a recipe poor line play overall.

Think our line play has been spotty with Clifton and Tauscher manning the tackle spots.. just wait til you get a load of Colledge, Barbre or Moll out there with their spurts of inconsistency and no veteran to turn to. Flynn or Brohm better be ready..

"beast" wrote:

Excellent post Pack93Z and one of the most complete SPOT-ON assesments I've seen. +1 for this gem.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (56m) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (1h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (2h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (4h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (5h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (7h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (8h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (19h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
59m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.