Mckennj3
14 years ago

What the ish?!?!? Why is everyone saying 29 is old?

"AKamp74" wrote:

I don't think it's the fact that he's 29 years old that it keeps being talked about, as we all know a talented OL can run well into their 30's... but from everything i've read, this guy has the body of a mid 30 year old and has been looking to get paid as if he was producing like he was when he was pro bowl caliber....

I'd say if he would come in to camp for a reasonable price and look at it like his last shot, then I definately want him.. If not as a stop gap starter then to just push the rookies looking to own that spot that much harder...

For a reasonably low price I see no downfall to atleast looking into it and possibly bringing him in for a closer look, it's already been published that theres a handfull of teams interested.
We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.
Yerko
14 years ago

Seriously guys? He had an injury and was about to be getting paid big money...he was a liability.
The Bengals are taking just as big of a chance letting him go and counting on a rookie OT than we would be if we picked him up.

"beast" wrote:

Yes because NFL teams are so stupid they're willing to let go of a GREAT player just for a chance of a rookie... right.... :blackeye: NOT!!

He will be 30 before September...

The guy hasn't played 16 games in a regular season since 2004... and the guy has only started 60.4166667 % of the time in the last 3 seasons. Do you want to sign a guy that is looking for a big starter deal but just got cut by a not so good team and who only started for them a little over 60% of the time in the last 3 years....

"AKamp74" wrote:

The Bengals are taking a big chance on Andre Smith. He might be a good player but he obviously had some issues during the combine. So yeah, the Bengals are taking a chance. And I said we would be taking a chance on picking up the 'over the hill' 30 year old.
We don't know what he is looking for in a current contract. His price is going to drop and if it doesn't then screw him.
I was just more shocked at some calling 29-30 over the hill. That's nuts, but okay.

Thanks for the stats though, does throw a wrench in my idea of picking him up...just a little. 🤨
UserPostedImage
Yerko
14 years ago

"Mckennj3" wrote:

I don't think it's the fact that he's 29 years old that it keeps being talked about, as we all know a talented OL can run well into their 30's... but from everything i've read, this guy has the body of a mid 30 year old and has been looking to get paid as if he was producing like he was when he was pro bowl caliber....

I'd say if he would come in to camp for a reasonable price and look at it like his last shot, then I definately want him.. If not as a stop gap starter then to just push the rookies looking to own that spot that much harder...

For a reasonably low price I see no downfall to atleast looking into it and possibly bringing him in for a closer look, it's already been published that theres a handfull of teams interested.

"AKamp74" wrote:

Do we happen to be one of those teams? I now agree with you and beast as well. If he is asking for too much money then forget about it.
Since you say there are some teams already interested in him you know he is going to be asking for starter money. So assuming that I would just say forget about him is he is so injury prone.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
I think people that are discounting Jones because he was released are making a sizable mistake. Especially when it is the Bengals that are doing the cutting.

They released Willie Anderson last season.. he certainly wasn't out of gas starting for the Ravens last season.. and he is years older.

Levi Jones can play in this league and has 6 years of experience.. sounds completely silly not to take a look at him.

Especially when we are sitting here looking at an open competition for a Starting RT for the opener.. do we have one on the roster ready to play without any doubt?

Seriously... he won't get paid a ton and gives us insurance at the starting spot or at the very least insurance on the depth chart if not starting.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
I'd take him, if for no other reason than I don't want any of our competition to pick him up (read: Vikings). I bet he ends up in Seattle, though.
blank
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago

I'd take him, if for no other reason than I don't want any of our competition to pick him up (read: Vikings). I bet he ends up in Seattle, though.

"ILikeThePackers39" wrote:

As I mentioned in another thread.. I would hate to see him end up on the Queens roster and solidify there depth questions at tackle.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I say sign him. Too bad we don't play the Dolphins this year if we sign him. He could be reunited with his buddy, Porter.
UserPostedImage
beast
14 years ago
For the people that want to sign him who are you going to cut?

Most teams only keep 9 OL guys so if your gonna sign this guy who are the other 8 your going to keep? I'll bold the 9 I want to stay....

Allen Barbre, Chad Clifton, Daryn Colledge, Evan Dietrich-Smith, Breno Giacomini, Andrew Hartline, T.J. Lang, Nevin McCaskill, Jamon Meredith, Tony Moll, Duke Preston, Dane Randolph, Josh Sitton, Jason Spitz and Scott Wells

I mean if your going to bring in this very injury prone for the last 3 years vet OT who are you going to cut?

Of my list if I had to cut someone for a Vet OT (which it would be Tausher not Jones if I got to choose) I would cut one of these guys... Clifton (if he doesn't look like he'll hold up remember he got benched last year and didn't look so good in some other games), Barbre, Giacomini or Preston..... probably wouldn't be Barbre.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
14 years ago
Lets recap here..

We have at:

Tackles

Chad Clifton
Daryn Colledge (G/T)
Breno Giacomini
TJ Lang (G/T)
Jamon Meredith
Tony Moll
Dane Randolph
Allen Barbre

Beyond Clifton whom has proven over the course of a complete game that they can man the position.. 0. I have faith in Colledge ability out there.. he is a natural tackle.

TJ Lang looks like a fine prospect, I am excited about him coming in an playing day one.. but more so inside. Meredith is a wild card.

Moll is as inconsistent as words uttered from Brett Favre, and Barbre is close to a washout.

Sprinkle in the likes of Randolf and there isn't any for sure depth on the roster.

The Packers, from what I hear around here, have a head nod deal in place but haven't signed the deal because of the reduction in roster counts. He is still working out, but since he can't compete in camps anyway a contract right now isn't a requirement. But the same word from his hometown is that he probably won't be ready at the start of the season.. practicing but not ready for game action.

But even with Tauscher, if those words are true, why not add insurance to your roster if the money is right? If one of the other options looks better, so be it, cut him and move on. Or maybe a team like the Bills won't solve there current dilemma and need a tackle.. willing to offer something up to get one.

The money and terms would have to be right, but I really don't understand the reluctance to add him. Need a roster spot right now.. cut one of the 25 WR on the roster.. lol. 4 of the 5 to 6 spots are rock solid anyway.
beast
14 years ago
Well you avoided making your 8 guys to go with OT Jones list. I just wanted to see who you would cut. Remember every guy you sign means you have to cut someone else.... Who are the 8 you'll keep and who's the rest you'll get rid of?

Beyond Clifton whom has proven over the course of a complete game that they can man the position.. 0. I have faith in Colledge ability out there.. he is a natural tackle.

"pack93z" wrote:

I agree with you. But in my mind Colledge has proven his self to be able to play a whole game at RT... which I'm trying to remember did he do that in the last game against the Lions last year for the whole game? Even if he didn't he hasn't had any problems when at RT. He has had some problems at LT in his early year but look pretty good when Clifton went out. But your right I don't think he has played OT for a whole game but in mind he's could....

TJ Lang looks like a fine prospect, I am excited about him coming in an playing day one.. but more so inside. Meredith is a wild card.

"pack93z" wrote:

I SO agree with you here. I thought they would move Colledge to RT and Lang to LG. I think that would make the best OL in the future IF they could fine a LT.

I see Meredith as a LT guy... he's not the more physical or willing to attack in the run game... and his style just screams LT only to me... maybe RT IF needed.

Moll is as inconsistent as words uttered from Brett Favre, and Barbre is close to a washout.

"pack93z" wrote:

Not sure what you mean by wash out but I think Barbre could start at RT or be first back-up at a couple of positions.

They could sign a vet but that will also take reps away from the young guys and slow their learning down... I don't mind bring a vet on.... I just don't want a bad vet or an injury prone vet (unless they've been on the team last year and/or YEARS like Tausher has been) and Jones is injures prone.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
dfosterf (14h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (15h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.