14 years ago
I realize it's incredibly late to bring this up, but nfldraftcountdown.com finally put up their Packers draft review, and they gave them the only A so far (with only 6 drafts pending).

Link 

Green Bay Packers '09 Draft Review
Scott Wright
President, Draft Countdown

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson drew a lot of criticism for the way he handled the Brett Favre situation last summer and some have questioned the frugal manner in which he has approached the free agent market. However, when it comes to the NFL Draft Thompson has done a great job, assembling one of the more impressive collections of young talent in the league. Unfortunately after winning 13 games and taking home the NFC North crown in 2007 Green Bay took a big step backwards last year, finishing with just six victories on the season. Will this crop of rookies help them rebound in 2009?

Green Bay is making the radical shift to a 3-4 defense and many have wondered whether or not they have the personnel to make such a move. Everyone knows that to run a 34 scheme successfully you need a run-stuffing nose tackle and pass rushing outside linebackers and the Packers were able to land both in round one of this draft. Boston College DT B.J. Raji missed the 2007 season due to academic troubles but he made up for lost time and came through with a fantastic senior campaign, registering 16.0 tackles for a loss and 8.0 sacks. At 6-11/2 and 337 pounds Raji is built like a fire hydrant and is a force against the run but he is also surprisingly athletic and has shown the ability to penetrate and make plays in the backfield as well. There are some concerns about Rajis work ethic and maturity but if he can keep his head on straight he has the talent to be one of the best defensive tackles in the league. There is no question that Raji is the long-term solution at nose tackle but as a rookie he will rotate with Ryan Pickett in the middle while also seeing extensive action outside at defensive end. Later the Packers traded back into the first round, at the cost of a second rounder and two third rounders, to acquire USC OLB Clay Matthews. At the start of his senior season Matthews was barely on the NFLs radar and any notice he was receiving was due to his famous bloodlines and exemplary work on special teams. However, Matthews emerged from the shadows of highly-touted teammates such as Rey Maualuga and Brian Cushing in 2008 and improved his draft stock as much as any prospect in the entire nation, leaping all the way up from the late round / priority free agent category into the first round. Even though Matthews has been hailed as a self-made player who got where he is through hard work it would be a mistake to underestimate his talent and athleticism. Combining an impressive blend of size and speed with a non-stop motor, great instincts and an unparalleled work ethic, Matthews is a perfect fit for the Packers new 3-4 front after having played a similar hybrid defensive end / outside linebacker role last year with the Trojans. Matthews should have little trouble earning the starting job opposite Pro Bowler Aaron Kampman and Green Bay is counting on him to make a significant impact right away as a rookie.

With all of the attention paid to first round picks the mid-rounders often get overlooked but the Packers may have landed three future starters in rounds four and five. First up was Eastern Michigan OT T.J. Lang, who could have very easily come off the board at least a round earlier. After flying under the radar throughout much of the draft process Lang began to emerge as one of the top blockers available as the big day drew closer. After beginning his college career as a defensive tackle Lang moved to the offensive line in 2006 and went on to become a three-year starter, working at right tackle as a sophomore and left tackle as a junior and senior. A strong, tough, physical and aggressive blocker, Lang isnt a great athlete which will necessitate a move to the right side at the next level and if needed he could also kick inside to guard. By most accounts Allen Barbre is the favorite to succeed Mark Tauscher as Green Bays starting right tackle in 2009 but Lang will push him in training camp and could be in position to take over should Barbre falter. With the first of two fifth round picks the Packers tabbed L.S.U. FB Quinn Johnson, making him just the second player chosen at his position. A former linebacker who only moved to the other side of the ball in 2006, Johnson is a physical lead blocker who still plays with an aggressive, defensive mentality. Johnson doesnt offer much as a runner, except in short yardage / goaline situations, or as a receiver out of the backfield but he is a better in-line blocker than either Korey Hall or John Kuhn. In this day and age taking a true fullback in the middle rounds is a considerable investment so you have to think Johnson will be given every opportunity to win the starting job. Later in round five the Packers were very fortunate to find South Carolina OT Jamon Meredith still on the board. A great athlete who is very quick and light on his feet, Meredith has experience at both tackle and guard and could play either position in the pros. On talent alone many felt Meredith was a second round value but concerns about his toughness and lack of a killer instinct led to his Draft Day freefall. Chad Clifton is entrenched as the starting left tackle but he is 33-years-old and has battled some injuries so Meredith will be groomed as his eventual successor. Meredith definitely has some Boom or Bust potential but he was well worth the risk in round five.

Green Bay had two picks in the sixth round and they used the first on Georgia DE Jarius Wynn. A bit of a tweener who saw action at both end and tackle in college, Wynn isnt an explosive pass rusher but he is strong and stout at the point of attack which should make him a good fit as a five-technique in the Packers 3-4 scheme. As a rookie Wynn will add depth and compete for playing time as a backup but more importantly his selection was another step towards transforming their defensive personnel. With their next choice the Packers took a flyer on Cincinnati CB Brandon Underwood, who is a very intriguing prospect. Underwood spent the first three years of his college career at Ohio St., where he played sparingly, but when the Buckeyes informed him his scholarship wasnt going to be renewed he opted to transfer. After sitting out the 2007 season per NCAA requirements Underwood only had one year to prove himself and he made the most of it, enjoying a breakout season for the Bearcats in 2008. A great athlete with ideal size (6-1, 198), long arms and above average speed, Underwood is a playmaker in the secondary and also pretty physical and aggressive after having played both corner and safety as a senior. Underwood has a lot of potential and his best football may still be ahead of him but the top six spots on Green Bays depth chart are basically set so he will face an uphill battle as he attempts to make the roster. Underwood was worth taking a chance on as a developmental project but barring an injury to one of his teammates he may be headed for the practice squad. With their final pick in round seven the Packers selected Colorado OLB Brad Jones. A classic DE / OLB tweener, Jones is undersized but very fast and assuming he makes the team hell add depth at linebacker while also contributing on special teams.

Above all else the Packers needed to use this draft to add personnel who fit their new defensive scheme and it would appear as through they hit homeruns with both Raji and Matthews. However, the most impressive aspect of this effort was their performance in the middle rounds and in time Lang, Johnson and Meredith could all find their way into the starting lineup. For those keeping score thats five potential starters, which would be unbelievable. All in all the Packers did a fantastic job in this draft, not only adding talented players but getting good value with all of their picks and addressing needs in the process. Since taking over full authority of all facets of the Packers football operations in 2005 Ted Thompson has had a string of successful drafts but in time this could go down as his most successful effort, which would really be saying something.

GRADE: A
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
I was wrong.

I'm changing my grade from an A to an A+

Happy New Year!

(Still should have taken Duke Robinson over Jamon Meredith, but that's being an asshole about it :thumbleft: )
TheEngineer
14 years ago
That must have been written right after the draft because Meredith didn't last very long on our roster.

But Matthews' play, which has been even better than what we could have hoped for, certainly more than makes up for it.

Raji, Matthews, Lang, Johnson, Jones. That could well be our 5 starters in a few years time.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (2h) : Maybe
Mucky Tundra (2h) : Yes
Zero2Cool (3h) : No.
Mucky Tundra (5h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (6h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (8h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (10h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (20h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (27-Mar) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.