Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Packers: Two for one to start draft 
By JASON WILDE

GREEN BAY Ted Thompson is more interested in doing what he thinks will make the Green Bay Packers a consistent winner than he is in winning any popularity contests. That much should be clear to everyone even his legion of detractors after the way last summers Brett Favre saga played out.

That said, the Packers fifth-year general managers performance on the first day of the 2009 NFL Draft Saturday when he took Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji at No. 9 and traded up to take USC linebacker Clay Matthews at No. 26 should go over pretty well in Packer Nation.

In fact, after two years of being booed by the fans gathered inside the Lambeau Field atrium for the teams draft party for picking disappointing defensive tackle Justin Harrell 16th overall in 2007 and trading out of the first round last year to take wide receiver Jordy Nelson in the second Thompson actually heard something surprising after picking Raji around 4 oclock.

Packers draft home page
NFL draft home page
Wilde on Packers Blog
Oates: Thompson impersonator a welcome change
Thompson happy to trade up for Matthews
Raji passes inspection
Theyre getting soft, Thompson joked. It really doesnt matter because Ive got thick enough skin to realize that (the booing) is fine. What matters is all of the work our staff puts in, all of the miles that our scouts travel, and then you come down to, can you get a good player? We think we were able to get a good player and he should help our team.

They then got another one a couple of hours later in Matthews, who worked his way up from walk-on to scholarship player to starter to first-round draft pick in five years at USC and could start immediately at right outside linebacker in the teams new 3-4 scheme under veteran coordinator Dom Capers.

The two selections sent a clear message much like the January firing of virtually the entire defensive staff and shift to the 3-4 that Thompson believes the teams 6-10 finish in 2008 was largely the result of its defensive deficiencies.

To get Matthews, the Packers gave the New England Patriots their second-round pick (No. 41) and both of their third-round picks their own (No. 73) and the pick they received from the New York Jets for Favre (No. 83). They also got a fifth-round pick, No. 162, back from the Patriots, but the deal marked just the second time in 412 drafts as Packers GM that Thompson traded up in the draft, compared to 13 trades backward.

By trading up to get Matthews the son of ex-NFL linebacker Clay Matthews Jr. and nephew of Hall of Fame offensive lineman Bruce Matthews, Thompsons former Houston Oilers teammate the Packers exercised two first-round selections for the first time since 1993, when Ron Wolf took Clemson linebacker Wayne Simmons and Alabama safety George Teague.

And both picks should help immediately at vital positions in the new scheme nose tackle and right outside linebacker.

Those are two very large pieces, said outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene, who played in Capers scheme in Pittsburgh and Carolina. The 3-4 defense, you really have to have that center cog, that nose who is a beast in the middle that can command a double-team. And a 3-4 defense relies on the outside backers to bring the heat on the QB, to make things happen. The outside backers are the fuel that makes the engine go.

Asked if Matthews could start immediately opposite left outside linebacker Aaron Kampman, Greene replied, It is realistic. Anythings possible. Hes a rookie and hes going to have a lot to absorb, but Im excited to have him. When I was talking to him, it was clear hes a man on a mission. I think everybody knows his genealogy and his bloodlines. But listening to him, he wants to stand on his own and be considered a great player in his own right.

Raji could start immediately, too, although Ryan Pickett is atop the depth chart at nose tackle for the time being. Adding Raji could allow Pickett to play end on some downs, given the Packers only have Cullen Jenkins, Johnny Jolly and Harrell at end.

I think what (picking Raji) does is give us great flexibility. Because I think Ryan Pickett can play any one of the three positions, just like I think Raji can play any one of the three positions, Capers said. To me, its where everything starts on defense your ability to stop the run. If you cant stop the run, its going to be a long day.

Having watched all three top-rated offensive tackles Baylors Jason Smith, Alabamas Andre Smith and Virginias Eugene Monroe come off the board among the first eight picks, Thompson couldve selected tumbling Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree, considered by some the best player in the draft. They also fielded calls with trade offers but did not seriously consider any of them.

That changed with Matthews, whom Thompson felt was worth the high price of trading up. But after making 43 solid-but-unspectacular picks in his first four drafts, Thompson said he didnt feel the need to do something flashy. He just did what he thought was necessary.

Im not concerned about the splash. There were some guys that we were eyeballing, Raji and Clay. We didnt know how to go about (getting them). We didnt know how things were going to fall, said Thompson, who has six picks (No. 109, 145, 162, 182, 187 and 218) to work with today.

I didnt anticipate doing all that we did today. Thats just the way the thing worked.

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : End of a Degu-era
dhazer (1h) : Steelers sign Patterson because of new kickoff rule interesting
Zero2Cool (4h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (5h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (15h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (22h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (23h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (27-Mar) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.