Tiger
14 years ago

I was surprised that Ted took a fullback. We already have two decent ones, and Ted spent a mid-round pick on one of them, Korey Hall, just a few years ago. But if this guy is a real sledgehammer maybe he will be worth it.

"Greg C." wrote:

Hall was a 6th rounder and a project (who has turned out pretty good) so it wasnt much of a risk to take him.
blank
RaiderPride
14 years ago
CBS Sports say's it is one of the biggest wins of the draft. The win being for Rodgers and Grant, as he was the best blocking FB in the draft.

I like the pick a great deal.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."
Pack93z
14 years ago
I wonder if Kuhn or Hall won't be asked to play a little H-Back / TE in situations and keep only the two TEs (Lee & Finley)...

Could you see a power running formation with those three clearing the way.. plus I think having Johnson and Hall as college backers along with the gritty Kuhn.. our special teams personnel is improved over a combination of Finley, Humphrey and Martin..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
I would be willing to bet anything we do not keep 3 FBs. You upgrade your team however you can, especially if you can in the late rounds. If he is better than one or both of what we have, one of our current FBs will go. It's the nature of the game.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
14 years ago

Can he hurdle a LB or DB on the outside when he gets the rare carry of the ball or catch in the flat.

"PackFanWithTwins" wrote:

Henderson? I thought you may have been talking about Hall. :)

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Admiring his destruction.. far left.. ;)

UserPostedImage
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Yerko
14 years ago
Thats a classic picture....the stand over. The best is when you offer the one you knocked down a hand.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

Thats a classic picture....the stand over. The best is when you offer the one you knocked down a hand.

"AKamp74" wrote:

I just to love grabbing their jersey and picking them up off the ground... something about defeated in that action.. ;)

I hit a running back just below the hip and flipped him over my back in a game against Stratford.. I turned around and grabbed him by the back of the jersey and helped him to his feet.. one of their big uglies didn't like it but the look on that kid face told the story.. he was defeated and ran scared the rest of the game.

Me and "Ugly" squared off a couple times in that game as well.. he went on to play at a Division II school someplace.. good player...
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Draft notebook: FB Quinn Johnson powers up run game 

BY ROB DEMOVSKY April 26, 2009

The Green Bay Packers arent going away from the zone blocking scheme, but if theyre looking to pound the ball on the ground the old-fashioned way, they might have found just the guy to help them do that.

In perhaps one of the surprise moves of Ted Thompsons draft on Sunday, the Packers general managed nabbed powerful fullback Quinn Johnson of LSU in the fifth round at No. 145 overall.

It was an unexpected pick, if only because the Packers seemed stocked at a position of diminishing importance with veterans Korey Hall and John Kuhn. But if coach Mike McCarthy wants to use more power concepts, then the pick of the 6-foot , 246-pound Johnson just might fit.

Quinn Johnson has that ability to play power football, in the power pattern schemes versus the zone schemes, McCarthy said. But his number one asset will be in the inside zone scheme, which is the starting point for the way we run the football.

Johnson, who began his college career as an outside linebacker but converted to offense as a sophomore, rarely touched the ball at LSU, but the Packers believe hes agile enough to be a short-yardage back and a capable receiver out of the backfield.

He was a running back (in high school) who rushed for over 1,000 yards, Thompson said. Hes got a good skill set, and hes a big, physical guy. We felt like that would be a nice get. We thought that was a value pick.

Thompson became enamored with Johnson during a visit to LSU last fall. He came back raving to McCarthy about Johnson.

Quinn Johnson was somebody he was very excited about, McCarthy said. He is our type of player. He is a hard-nosed fullback. We think he also has special-teams value and also was able to run the football. We just felt at that particular point in the draft we couldnt pass him up.

There wont be room for three fullbacks on the 53-man roster come September, so Johnson will have to show hes dynamic in order to unseat Hall of Kuhn, who have been mainstays on special teams the last two years.

Tauschers future: The Packers have all but closed the door on the possibility of re-signing veteran right tackle Mark Tauscher.

In the final year of his contract last season, Tauscher blew out his left knee on Dec. 7. Tauscher will turn 32 on June 17 and almost certainly wont be healthy by the start of training camp.

You never say never in pro football, Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said when asked if there was any scenario in which Tauscher would return. Theres a million things that can happen between now and September, but thats probably a better question for Ted. I dont know. Certainly theres possibilities, I guess.

Thompson called Tauschers situation a medical thing.

I dont think its a question of want, Thompson said when asked if he wants Tauscher back. Its a question of timing and the medical thing.

Undrafted free agents: With 68 players under contract, the Packers will have room on their offseason roster to sign up to 12 rookie free agents.

One of the first they signed was Iowa receiver Andy Brodell, who also is a kick returner. His agent, Jack Bechta, said Brodell had offers from five other teams but chose the Packers because they had shown the most interest in him in recent weeks.

They also signed Mosinee native Kole Heckendorf, a receiver from North Dakota State who said he had offers from Houston, San Diego and Washington.

I always rooted for the Packers growing up, and now Im going to get a shot with Green Bay, Heckendorf told the Wausau Daily Herald. Well see what happens.

Other signings included a third receiver, Jamarko Simmons, according to an NFL source, and running back Tyrell Sutton. Simmons played at Western Michigan with Greg Jennings.

Sutton of Northwestern agreed to a three-year contract, his agent, Alonzo Shavers, confirmed late Sunday night. Also believed to have signed was Michigan tight end Carson Butler.

The Packers will for sure need at least one quarterback because none of the three quarterbacks on the roster will attend this weekends rookie orientation camp. As of Sunday evening, they still hadnt secured a quarterback.

Among the top quarterback prospects to go undrafted were Louisvilles Hunter Cantwell, Michigan States Brian Hoyer and Alabamas John Parker Wilson.

The Packers had shown interest in Cleveland State basketball player JNathan Bullock, but he signed with the New York Jets.

Players drafted this weekend dont count against the 80-man offseason roster until they sign contracts.

Bring it on, Greene: Fourth-round draft pick T.J. Lang, a tackle from Eastern Michigan, had always been a fan of former NFL linebacker Kevin Greene.

So imagine his surprise when during his pre-draft visit to the Packers, he bumped into Greene, who is the Packers news outside linebackers coach.

He said, Wow, Im in the same room as Kevin Greene, Packers offensive line coach James Campen said. Of course we went over and set him up a little bit and talked to Kevin and said, T.J thinks he can take you right now one on one. Kevin kind of stared him down a little bit and had a little fun with that.

Odds and ends: With the third-round picks the Packers traded away on Saturday in order to move into the first round to take Clay Matthews, Jacksonville took William & Mary cornerback Derek Cox at 73 after getting that pick from the Patriots, who took North Carolina receiver Brandon Tate with the other Packers pick, No. 83. That was the pick the Packers got from the Jets in the Brett Favre trade. The Bengals picked Missouri tight end Chase Coffman, the son of former Packers tight end Paul Coffman, in the third round at No. 98 overall.

UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
I found a new 'hero'... my kind of player.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/44178127.html 

Fifth-round fullback Quinn Johnson (LSU) said he gets more satisfaction from knocking a guy on his rear than scoring a touchdown. "I know it sounds crazy but I really do. Pretty much what I play for is to get big blocks."

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : Former #Packers TE Josiah Deguara is signing a 1-year deal with the Jaguars, per source.
Zero2Cool (2h) : They do not do it for "content sake".
dfosterf (12h) : For the record, I enjoy Beast and Mucky drafts
Zero2Cool (19h) : Haha
Mucky Tundra (20h) : No time for talking! Back to work beast!
beast (20h) : You saw only 4,201 of my mocks? 🥺 I think that means you missed more than half of them 😢
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Does anyone know what Lambeau field improvements got put on hold? My guess would be for the 2025 draft
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : It's like listen, you made 4,201 mocks, no shit.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Cuz during the draft "I had them mocked there!" as if it's amazing.
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : They're fun to do once in awhile. It's people who think they are "content" that annoy me.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Against tbd
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Answer to your question is yes, it's a Thursday, will be the Chiefs aga
dfosterf (27-Mar) : Luckily for all concerned, I don't post them. I did one, but that was like 25 mocks ago
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : NFL 2024 gonna start Sept 5th isn't it???
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Ugh... kids these days!
dfosterf (27-Mar) : I'm gonna go do some more mock draft hell instead 🤪
Zero2Cool (27-Mar) : Did we do one of those prediction threads yet for 2024 season?
dfosterf (27-Mar) : In my city, they are playing the nimby game, in order to keep some railroad tracks vs. 2 professional sports teams and a concert venue.
dfosterf (27-Mar) : And/Or a city council, of which I haven't seen a good one in a very long time
dfosterf (27-Mar) : That sounds like a Mayor, not a city.
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers halt scheduled 80mil upgrade of stadium until lease agreement talks are restarted
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : City of Green Bay puts Packers' Lambeau Field lease talks on hold
buckeyepackfan (26-Mar) : Packers 1 of 3 teams to vote no on new kickoff rule.
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Packers sign another Kicker
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Lengthy explanation at PFF if you click the link
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Kickoff rules officially changed.ngthy explan
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : lol
Cheesey (26-Mar) : 2009? No thanks! One open heart surgery is enough!
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Good for you!
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Yes. That's the one.
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Is that "Lady Dugan" per chance?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Crystal?
dfosterf (26-Mar) : Please refresh my memory
Zero2Cool (26-Mar) : Alan posts. Crystal back in my life. It's 2009 all over again! Lol
Mucky Tundra (26-Mar) : BAH GAWD! THAT'S CHEESEYS MUSIC!
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Gutekunst said early stages of Jordan Love contract being discussed.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Shouldn't be penalized cuz official screwed up
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Yeah, challenge until you are incorrect twice.
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Fining them is the goal, per the people who made the rule anyway.
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still waiting on the kickoff rule changes. Did hear yesterday that the touchback proposal will now be the 30 yard line, not the 35
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Probably speed of game issues with your proposal
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Hopefully the refs don't get in the habit of throwing flags on this
beast (25-Mar) : I think when it comes to Challenges should get two strikes, so unlimited challenges as long as they keep winning them, but 2 wrong then done
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Still subject to the fines etc
dfosterf (25-Mar) : Yes, I should have been more specific. Also, they are now saying it would be a 15 yard penalty. That makes more sense .
beast (25-Mar) : Simply fined in the week to follow
beast (25-Mar) : I agree with one NFL official, it'll probably be like some of the helmets hits, not really called by the refs on the field but simply fined
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Hip drop is not. Super confusing. Referees job is harder
Zero2Cool (25-Mar) : Swivel hip drop is banned
dfosterf (25-Mar) : The hip drop enforcement will be in the form of fines, etc. Not flags
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Mar / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

27-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

25-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

24-Mar / Around The NFL / dhazer

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

24-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

22-Mar / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.