Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
The main reason why I reacted negatively at first to the Raji is he is SO BIG (remember how oft-injured Gilbert Brown was?) and because he's never actually played a down at NT. But then I started to think about how close we were to having a winning season last year and how significantly our defensive deficits contributed to all those losses, and I realized Ted Thompson did the right thing. So I feel more sanguine this morning.
UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
14 years ago
I thought Ted Thompson gave up too much. So they must really like him. Glad to see him "pull the trigger" to get someone they think can make a difference on this team. I hope he turns out to be worth more than we gave in the trade.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago

I can not imagine that a GM of any professional team would use a # 1 pick based on old family ties of any kind.

"oskarliminga" wrote:

Your quote is interesting, because I SWEAR I posted a comment somewhere last night questioning this pick based on Ted Thompson's having played with Clay's father ( I believe I used the term "cronyism").

Now I can't find it.

Is it possible that there is a cheese-nazi out there censoring posts?

If so, a pox on you; censorship of relevant commentary is something I'd expect out of Minnesota. I may be wrong on this, but if I'm not I call on the moderators to re-post my post and open it up to discussion. This ain't Cuba.

"oskarliminga" wrote:

I will prequalify that after the fact being that I honestly thought I heard a radio report on this during draft day that Ted Thompson was a team mate of Clay's father. If that is incorrect I apologize and withdraw the request. If that is true however, Ted Thompson has some explaining to to do.

"wpr" wrote:

Even if Thompson did play with his father, and even if they had Sunday dinners on a weekly basis, that's no proof of any sort of "cronyism" or whatever other pejorative term you want to use. I think the burden of proof for what you're suggesting should be quite a bit higher.
blank
Greg C.
14 years ago
Ted Thompson and Clay Matthews did not play together. If you're going to make stuff up, please check the facts before posting. This is a waste of everyone's time.
blank
Tezzy
14 years ago
I'll go on record saying this was a great draft day move. So we lost a 3rd rounder and dropped a 3rd to a 5th. lets looks at what we missed during 73-109 when we picked T.J. Lang and truthfully tell me that we aren't better off getting Matthews for any combination of these 2 guys:

OT Robert Brewster - Ball State
OLB DeAndrew Levy - Wisconsin
OT Kraig Urbik - Wisconsin
DT Roy Miller - Texas
DL Corvey Irvin - Georgia
OLB Tyrone McKenzie - South Florida
DT Dorrell Scott - Clemson
DT Henry Melton - Texas

And btw, Ted played with Bruce at the Oilers when Ted was playing special teams. And the best quote from the Kevin Greene press conference, "I've had too many consussions, don't hit me with double questions"
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Arles
14 years ago
Scouts Inc. Grade: 91 (1st round), #21 overall (#3 OLB)

6-3, 240, 4.64 40

Overall Football Traits

Production 3
Matthews walks-on to USC and redshirts during the 2004 season. 2005: He appears in 12 games in a reserve role and special team's player. He records eight tackles and one pass break-up. 2006-'07: Matthews appears in all 26 games during, making two starts and records 32 total tackles, including 4.5 TFL, two sacks, two forced fumbles and a pass break-up. Also notches two blocked kicks. 2008: He appears in all 13 games with 10 starts and records 56 tackles with nine TFL, including 4.5 sacks. He also forces and recovers a fumble, breaks up two passes and blocks a field goal. He is named the Trojans co-special teams player of the year in both 2006 and 2007. Earns second team All-Pac 10 honors during his senior campaign in 2008.

Height-Weight-Speed 2
Possesses a well-built frame along with above-average top-end speed for the position.

Durability 1
Suffered a broken bone in his left thumb against Nebraska in 2007 but did not miss any playing time due to the injury.

Character 1
A former walk-on that feels he has something to prove every time he steps on the field. Also comes from a tremendous gene-poll as his father Clay Matthews Sr. and uncle Bruce Matthews have combined for over 40 years of NFL experience.

Outside Linebacker specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 1
Quickly finds and reacts to the ball quickly allowing him to get into strong initial position. Shows the discipline not to fall for play fakes and gets into drop zone in a timely manner against play action. Also does a good job of staying home backside against misdirection.

Pursuit/Point of Attack 3
Flashes ability to jar blockers in the hole. Possesses excellent flexibility in torso to turn pads and get skinny to slide by blocks at the line of scrimmage. Takes sound angles in pursuit. Some concerns to his ability to hold the edge against bigger NFL offensive tackles and tight ends. Needs to improve hand usage.

Tackling 2
Strong overall tackler. Does a nice job of wrapping up and finishing tackles. Breaks down well in the open field and is excellent at going down low and chopping out ball carriers legs. However lacks explosion as a tackler and won't deliver many knock out shots.

Pass Coverage 2
Lacks ideal experience in this department but shows a great deal of potential. Takes excellent angles to drop and does a nice job of reading quarterbacks eyes in zone coverage. Is loose in the hips and changes directions well giving him solid man-coverage skills. Ball skills are above-average.

Pass Rusher 2
Possesses good quickness and suddenness off the edge. Does a nice job of dipping low when coming off the edge making it hard for tackles to get proper hand placement. Excels at running the inside loop off of defensive line twists and stunts. Has the closing burst to get to be disruptive when having a clear shot at quarterback. However, he does not counter well once initially caught by blockers.

Trait Scale
1 = Exceptional 2 = Above average 3 = Average 4 = Below average 5 = Marginal
blank
Arles
14 years ago
One more thing, here's the grades from scouts, inc on the top 6 OLBs:

Aaron Curry - #1 overall (#4 in the draft)
Brian Cushing - #19 overall (drafted 15)
Clay Matthews - #21 overall (drafted 26)
Paul Kruger - #40 overall (drafted 25 in round 2)
Clint Sintim - #44 overall (drafted 13 in round 2)
Cody Brown - #64 overall (drafted 31 in round 2)

So, according to scouts, there was a pretty big drop between 3 and 4.
blank
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

'I want it so much more,' Matthews says 

BY ROB DEMOVSKY

A famous last name will get you only so far.

For Clay Matthews, it got him in the door at USC, where his father and his uncle built their NFL careers.

The rest was up to him.

His name doesnt matter now, not after the Green Bay Packers traded up to pick the former college walk-on with the 26th pick in Saturdays draft.

Photos from Packers draft party
Click here to watch NFL Network on Packers' pick of Clay Matthews
Click here to watch NFL.com draft preview video on Clay Matthews
Photos of first-round picks
More draft news, analysis, chats, video

The son of Clay Matthews Jr., who played 19 NFL seasons, the nephew of Bruce Matthews, a Hall of Famer who played in more NFL games (296) than any player in history, and the grandson of Clay Matthews Sr., who played four seasons for the San Francisco 49ers in the 1950s, Clay Matthews III took a most circuitous route to professional football.

As a high school junior, he weighed 166 pounds and couldnt win a starting job on a defense coordinated by his own father. Though he gained weight and started as a senior, he didnt have a single Division I scholarship offer. So he was invited to walk on at Southern Cal, if for no other reason than he was a legacy both dad and uncle Bruce played there.

He redshirted as a freshman and worked his way on to the special teams the next year. That, in itself, was remarkable considering all the blue-chip recruits coach Pete Carroll brings to USC.

Finally, in his senior year, when the 6-foot-3 Matthews bulked up to 240 pounds, he got his shot in one of the most talented linebacking corps in the country. He started the final 10 games of the season and then blew away NFL scouts with his workouts.

When I was talking to him, it was clear that hes a man on a mission, Packers outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene said. Everybody knows his genealogy and his bloodlines, but just listening to him and hearing him talk, hes a man on a mission that he wants to stand on his own and be considered a great player in his own right.

Youve gotta love the fact that hes a former walk-on. Those kind of guys had to scratch and claw and fight for everything, for all their success. That stuff doesnt come easy, so I really like that about him, that he wasnt just a God-given scholarship kind of kid.

Matthews doesnt apologize for his obscure beginnings but rather embraces it.

Most walk-ons dont have enough determination and grit and hard work within them to be in the position I am today, he said. I kept plugging away. It would have been easy for me to quit and just walk away from it, but I want it so much more. I think thats why Im in the position I am today.

In many ways, Matthews is Ted Thompsons kind of player. The Packers general manager -- who traded his second-round pick (No. 41 overall) and a pair of third-rounders (Nos. 73 and 83) to New England for picks 26 and 162 (a fifth-rounder) to get Matthews -- was a backup linebacker in the NFL who made his living for 10 seasons as a special teams player.

But the Packers expect much more than just special teams play from Matthews. In the switch to the 3-4 defense, they lack a second outside linebacker to team with Aaron Kampman. Though it might be too much to ask of a rookie, Matthews likely will get a shot at earning that starting job.

He plays the game remarkable, Thompson said. Hes got some interesting traits that are not unlike his father, the Clay who played for Cleveland for a long, long time.

"Hes got the ability to extend his hand and leverage against offensive lineman and stay on his feet in positions where most people wouldnt be able to stay on their feet. I just think he brings a lot to the table. Hes accomplished certainly as a pass rusher and a run defender, but hes also athletic and can move and has a feel for space.

UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
An entire thread I created on Crabtree was apparently deleted. It happens. I highly doubt your post was targeted specifically for censorship.
UserPostedImage
Greg C.
14 years ago

Ted Thompson and Clay Matthews did not play together. If you're going to make stuff up, please check the facts before posting. This is a waste of everyone's time.

"oskarliminga" wrote:

OK, I researched this again and the article below will explain all. I made my original post (which I now can't find and which I suspect was censored by some Ted-sucking Nazi) based upon a radio broadcast which I heard in my truck. I didn't make anything up and I resent the implication (by you) that I did.

I was wrong and you are right; Ted DID NOT play with Clay's father in the NFL. He played with Clay's Uncle Bruce in Houston. The disturbing implications are the same as I listed in my post; was there some cronyism going on here? Don't you find it curious that NOWHERE in any of Ted's public comments on this trade-up did he mention that he played ball with Clay's Uncle?

Don't believe it? Go to the following link:

http://www.wisn.com/sports/19292132/detail.html 

As far as I'm concerned, you owe me an apology, your wasted time notwithstanding.

"Greg C." wrote:

Sorry I was so harsh. I got annoyed because I thought you were throwing something out there without any basis whatsoever when you could've at least done a google search first. When I saw the Oilers connection I realized that there is something there, after all.

I don't think it's much, though. Thompson was in his last two years, playing linebacker, while Bruce Matthews was in his first two years, playing center. I've heard no suggestion that they ever had any kind of friendship. After all, each of those guys no doubt had several hundred teammates during their time in the NFL, most of whom were closer to them in age. So unless you find more evidence that this could be an example of cronyism, I think you are grasping at straws here.
blank
Fan Shout
dfosterf (17h) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (18h) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Zero2Cool (18-Apr) : Packers sign T Andre Dillard.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : Adds most of the information this time of year comes from agents.
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : @RealAlexBarth Bill Belichick says accurate draft information doesn't leak from teams until about 12 hours before the draft. Adds most of th
Mucky Tundra (18-Apr) : I am very happy that for moment, Jordan Love seems like a normal human being
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Belichick * whatever
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : "There's a lot of depth at Offensive Tackle and Wide Receiver." Bill Bellichick
Zero2Cool (17-Apr) : Thanks! I can't believe it's over haha
Martha Careful (16-Apr) : Congratulations
Zero2Cool (16-Apr) : Boom. Student Loan. $0.00. Only took about 20 years.
Zero2Cool (14-Apr) : Packers DT Kenny Clark: New defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley will 'allow us to be way more disruptive'
Zero2Cool (12-Apr) : Saints have agreed to terms on a contract with former Packers wide receiver Equanimeous St. Brown.
beast (12-Apr) : No, but of it's for legislation, then half of the country will find it evil, not good, whatever it says....
Mucky Tundra (12-Apr) : Draft is still 2 weeks away. UGH
dhazer (11-Apr) : Does anyone know of a good AI generator to create letters of Support for legislation?
Zero2Cool (11-Apr) : Gordon "Red" Batty retires as equipment manager
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Sounds like that's pretty certain now.
Zero2Cool (10-Apr) : Packers "at" Eagles in Brazil. Week One
dfosterf (10-Apr) : Va' Fazer As Malas Va' !
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Mark Murphy tipping us off?
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : “We’re either the first- or second-most popular team in Brazil.”
Zero2Cool (9-Apr) : Christian Watson got married. Wife better be careful with those hamstrings!! 😂😂
dfosterf (9-Apr) : Those poor bastards
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Falcons have signed former Packers CB Kevin King, who has been out of football since 2021.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Collectively, we need to spend more time in what we have, when analyzing ostendible needs and historical proclivities
dfosterf (8-Apr) : I say he is better than so many of these draft picks
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Question of the week for me: Has anyone besides me done any deep dive into the potential of Alex McGough, our 3rd string qb?
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Or in Tunsil's case, something gets released day of draft or day before lol
Zero2Cool (8-Apr) : Seems every year someone does something pre-draft.
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Falling down drunk. The draft board
dfosterf (8-Apr) : Allright! Potential character guy/f#×k up pickup in D'Vondre Sweat!
Zero2Cool (7-Apr) : Go Badgers!!!
Martha Careful (6-Apr) : Go Boilermakers!!!
Martha Careful (5-Apr) : Diggs has not stepped up in the playoffs and has a high cost
beast (5-Apr) : Probably not going to let Diggs walk away unless he's horrible... but according to reports he also might not be as good as he used to be.
beast (5-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft has been an offensive player since 2017, 2 TE, 2 WR, 1 RB, 1 OC
Mucky Tundra (5-Apr) : Odd, why give up a 2025 2nd Rounder for him if you're just gonna let him walk?
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : Texans to let Diggs be free agent in '25
buckeyepackfan (4-Apr) : 49r's aign RB Patrick Taylor.
Martha Careful (4-Apr) : Reversion to the mean would indicate we will keep it
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : It's also been utilized in a trade in 14 of the past 20 years
Zero2Cool (4-Apr) : The 25th pick in the draft hasn't been made by it's original holder since 2016.
Mucky Tundra (4-Apr) : Gotta imagine that Green Bay vs Houston will be a primetime game this upcoming season
Zero2Cool (3-Apr) : No. Kill QB. No worries. 😁
Mucky Tundra (3-Apr) : Diggs, Collins, Dell and Schultz is gonna be tough to cover
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16-Apr / Random Babble / Martha Careful

15-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

12-Apr / Random Babble / Nonstopdrivel

12-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.